X

Which ones on top, heehee

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ones on top, heehee

I'm talking about the color of the wires to the ignition coils, HAHAHA! I looked at the manuel but it only shows a wiring diagram and I'm unable to tell which one goes on top. Is the orange stripped wire on top or the black, same thing for the other side please, Thanks Guys and Gals, Later..

I think the orange wire goes on top, but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker View Post
      Thanks Dude, I kinda thought it was but wasn't sure...later

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker View Post
        correct.

here's a pic I took from my photo album:

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Just to make sure, the orange is on bottom for the right side coil correct?

Comment

Doesn't really matter...

Comment

Eh, I've got the orange on the top of both coils. I've been told this is wrong, though?
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

As BP mentioned, it doesn't matter. On these bikes, they use a "loss spark" setup. Simply put, when signal is sent to the coil... BOTH wires fire, both plugs spark.

That is why it doesn't matter...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  As BP mentioned, it doesn't matter. On these bikes, they use a "loss spark" setup. Simply put, when signal is sent to the coil... BOTH wires fire, both plugs spark.

That is why it doesn't matter...

Krey

True, but the reason I mention it doesn't matter is that there is only one primary coil, and only one secondary. Since there is only one ground reference (the spark plug) on the secondary the polarity of the input voltage doesn't matter. It looks like this:

This is different than car set ups (and some bikes mostly twins) that look like this. Here there is a ground reference so hooking up the coil backwards will cause issues.:

Interesting feature of the top coil systems is that one plug does have a slightly weaker spark.

Comment

On my 05' 600, on the left side, the orange wire is on top and on the right side the orange wire is on the bottom

Comment

Working...
                    X