X

2006 600f cut out at a light and now NOTHING

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 600f cut out at a light and now NOTHING

This is my first post on here... and it comes after reading as many of the related ones as I can...

I have a 2006 Katana. Had it for a year, my first bike, and Love her...
    I'm pretty well rounded when it comes to knowledge of mechanics, and engineering and the concepts behind electrical work, however some of the specifics escape my skillset.
    That being said, I've hit a wall...

I left my key in and lights on for an hour the other day and drained the battery. The next day I got it jumped by someone with a jump-pack... Not sure this matters, but I have a gut feeling its involved... He jumped to the negative terminal instead of just grounding to the frame. He also had to jump it twice, because he accidentally hit the kill switch shortly after it started up when he handed me the thing to sign. It hadn't charged the battery enough to start again on its own...

It rode fine that day. I took it for a two hour drive to MAKE sure the battery was fully recharged. It started okay a couple more times that day. The next morning it started okay... a little slow to catch, but rode fine. After 15minutes of freeway, I hit a stoplight. It cut out and hasn't started since.

I have gone through a clear troubleshooting path as follows:

Check continuity at every fuse - all fine
    Checked continuity at the 30am main fuse - good

Checked continuity across my bypassed clutch safety switch at left handlebar. (It had gone bad about a year ago and I just jumped it)

Checked the continuity at the side stand switch. I couldn't get continuity across the switch, so I jumped it right at the switch itself. **Even if this is what caused it to cut out at the light... it dosent explain why it wouldn't start again in neutral. ** Now that switch is bypassed and should be fine.

I Then went to the starter relay and tested the DC voltage to the starter relay and got plenty of voltage then I get voltage to the prongs out of the starter relay leading to the red wires.

I double checked that the bike was in neutral and then tried jump from one red to the black/yellow one. nothing. I also tested directly from the battery to the black/yellow wire.

This last test, and the fact that I ran a length of wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the black wire that comes out of the starter relay and goes to the starter motor to no effect (other than lots of heat across the wire and sparks at the terminal) leads me to believe that the starter motor is bad. But that dosent explain why the bike died. or there is no click or ANYTHING at the relay?

I tested continuity at the starter button by disconnecting the harness and using the multimeter on the orange/white yellow/green wires. I got no continuity when the button was normal and continuity when depressing it to start...
    I will say, that when it died, the starter button got really sticky... *felt* really odd...

I checked continuity at the kill switch when it FIRST happened... and it was fine. Continuity when in run mode and none when in kill setting...
    This last time, I didnt get continuity when in run mode...

I've troubleshot the ignition switch and the gear position switch also..

I'm wondering if the Diode was fried during the jump... it seems like all of these errors are related to the safety interlock system... and that they are growing, even though the bike hasn't started... the lights turn on, and the headlights dim when I go to press the start button but thats it... not even a sound...

HELP...

First thing, take out the battery you have and replace/borrow a known good. A bad battery can cause all sorts of problems.

Letting your battery drain as it did, will/can cause the battery to go " bad ".

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a 2001 and mine died on me in about the same way on the 4th. Pulled the battery and charged overnight praying that there wasn't a wire in some remote location that was shorting. With hopes high I went back the next day, put everything back together and ta DA DA! Nothing! Pulled the battery back out and went to a parts store for testing. No cold crank amps. I know the charger said it was completely charged. Got a new battery and I was back on the road in no time.

Comment

I put my old (relatively new) battery on the charger. When that didn't work, I replaced it. Its not the battery.
        It has NO response when pressing the button.. not even a little bit of an attempt. I promise... its not the battery.

I don't know how the Diode and the CDI work in relationship to this and wonder if they could be related... could the Jump have had something to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Derekwc View Post
          I put my old (relatively new) battery on the charger. When that didn't work, I replaced it. Its not the battery.
          It has NO response when pressing the button.. not even a little bit of an attempt. I promise... its not the battery.

I don't know how the Diode and the CDI work in relationship to this and wonder if they could be related... could the Jump have had something to do with it?

If you jump the solenoid, does the starter turn?

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It does not. Nothing happens, except the wire I'm using to jump it gets mighty hot, and i get arcing...

The thing is that some of the tests have shown multiple components failing at the same time, or really in a cascading way... I don't really believe that the kill kill switch, the sidestand switch, the starter motor all just crapped out at once...
            I don't have the money to replace all those components especially if its not the problem...
            Last edited by Derekwc; 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you have a good battery and jumping the solenoid does not turn the starter, then your looking at pretty much 3 possibilities...

1. battery is still bad

2. Ground to the battery is bad somewhere

3. Starter is forzen/bad.

I would start with checking ground wires....

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Have you checked your 30 amp fuses?

Comment

SO...
                  I finally took everything apart.
                  It seems somehow a FEW things went wrong all at once.

The Kill switch bit it, the side stand switch bit it AND the start motor also imploded.
                  I'm skeptical that something else isn't going on... but I have no other thoughts...

Except there is a rumbling in what sounds like my starter clutch casing. The starter motor didn't have any signs of odd wear on the shaft... its just the magnets inside the casing were crumbled and kind of a mess. I wonder if there is something going on in the starter clutch that blew up the starter motor. And off to my NEW project... I'll search the forum for info on this one.

Thanks guys

Comment

Electrical issue for sure. I'd check the alternator output. I've seen issues like that before, GSXFjim's pre750. Your starter issue may have been a shot bearing, causing the rotor to contact the magnets.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-18-2017, 11:03 PM.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                    X