X

masking vinyl

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masking vinyl

I've looked, and searched... but alas, haven't found anything about it.

has anyone used masking vinyl instead of tape? we use it here at work for masking glass for sandblasting... just kinda wondering if it would have any horrible reaction to the paint, or if it'd just be a bugger to peel off...?

any thoughts?
    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Why would you want to use it over masking tape? It seems like it would be a lot more expensive.

Comment

I found a place that sold it, and then forgot the address. From what I've seen, it's a low-tack vinyl so it should come of fairly easily.

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
      Why would you want to use it over masking tape? It seems like it would be a lot more expensive.
      Because you can usually run it through a printer if you want specific designs. I've been thinking of using it for the pattern I want on my bike because I can't duplicate from one side of the other if my life depended on it.
      Last edited by brooder; 03-13-2008, 11:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

hmmm good idea

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
          it is more expensive, but it has a different use really.

From wikipedia

In airbrushing, a frisket is a plastic sheet with an adhesive backing used to mask off specific areas of an image so that only the exposed area is covered with paint. The frisket is vital to airbrushing, because it allows the artist to control excess paint spray, create special effects, achieve extreme precision, control edge attributes and to expedite the airbrushing process.
          A frisket differs from other masks in that it is a single sheet that covers the entire work, parts of which are removed by cutting into the sheet. Friskets are available in matté and glossy finishes. Some friskets are also solvent-proof, manufactured for use with solvent-reduced and -based urethanes.
          The frisket is fixed to the painting surface and then the appropriate shapes are cut out of the material using a razor or scalpel. The cut piece is lifted, the exposed area painted, and the process repeated using the cut pieces to mask their matching finished areas. When all painting is finished, the resulting work contains precise shapes with no overspray.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
            The frisket is fixed to the painting surface and then the appropriate shapes are cut out of the material using a razor or scalpel. The cut piece is lifted, the exposed area painted, and the process repeated using the cut pieces to mask their matching finished areas. When all painting is finished, the resulting work contains precise shapes with no overspray.
            I never thought about that. You'd have a positive and negative blank for painting. Only one print cycle.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

Because you can usually run it through a printer if you want specific designs.
              think regular ink jet ink would work? or just smear right off?
              the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
              # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                think regular ink jet ink would work? or just smear right off?

I think it would just smear off.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I think it would just smear off.
                  /agreed

however, that now creates an issue... as i highly doubt i have steady enough hands to freehand with a razor...
                  # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

/agreed

however, that now creates an issue... as i highly doubt i have steady enough hands to freehand with a razor...
                    what are you trying to accomplish?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

i want to pattern out a fragopani design or something to that girly kind of effect
                      # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

i want to pattern out a fragopani design or something to that girly kind of effect
                        Do you mean Frangipani?

how competent are you with a spray gun/ airbrush? A floral pattern will be a little tricky with a spray bomb.

If you use a frisket (can pick up at most good art supply shops) you can use a pencil to draw the design onto the frisket and then use a razor or sharp knife to cut out the design. If this is your first attempt I would try a few practice runs (including spraying) first. If you do go this route, be careful when cutting the pattern out. it can be tricky to apply the frisket once the pattern is already cut out and if you are not careful you can damage the existing paint if you apply the frisket first and then cutout the pattern.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I've got frisket at home....I can test it out in the printer at home if you want and let ya know how it comes out
                          (I've ne'er actually thought to print right onto it - I usually freehand it)
                          - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Do you mean Frangipani?

how competent are you with a spray gun/ airbrush? A floral pattern will be a little tricky with a spray bomb.
                            *hangs head in shame* yeah... didn't quite look right when i wrote it out...

i have my own gun... never used it tho... don't have an air compressor (and since i only have my bike for transport, it's kinda hard to rent one at the moment)

i have every thought telling me that it's gonna be a b*tch of a job to attempt, but i want something personal, that's not going to cost me thousands of dollars.

Originally posted by Slim View Post
                            I've got frisket at home....I can test it out in the printer at home if you want and let ya know how it comes out
                            (I've ne'er actually thought to print right onto it - I usually freehand it)
                            that would be awesome, if you wouldn't mind
                            Last edited by kat_kitten; 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

i have every thought telling me that it's gonna be a b*tch of a job to attempt, but i want something personal, that's not going to cost me thousands of dollars.
                              What sort of spray gun do you have?

The problem with taking on a job like this is that once you paint it you really should clear coat it. To do it right, you will need to scuff the entire piece (panel that you are spraying the design on) and clear the whole thing.

A simpler solution would be to have a sign or print shop, make up some vinyl decals in the pattern you decide on. It will be way cheaper, less work, (possibly look better) and give you an opportunity to decide if that is the right design to go with when painting it is a better option. Just a thought.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X