X

Fiberglassing a Fairing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglassing a Fairing

Thanks to a power surge, I am RETYPING this post!

So the clerk at Suzuki only ordered 1 of the 4 gaskets I needed to rebuild my carbs I started a more ambitious project this weekend.

Here is my "inspiration" -

I wanted to make something that utilizes the stock gauges and headlight and still be able to mount mirrors so the Honda CB1300 Super Bol D'Or caught my eye. Since I doubt I will find a conversion kit I will be making a fiberglass piece from scratch!

The first thing I need is a plug - something to make a mold out of. With the use of some staples, pliers, and 1/4 inch mesh I got the dimensions that would allow for full range of the bikes moving parts and allow me to use the stock bolt configuration as well.

My next step is to create the plug from which the mold will be made. I am most likely going to use modeling foam and an aftermarket windscreen to build a mock fairing. 15 layers of fiberglass and a gelcoat later I will have my mold!

Pizza and wings are calling my name, so I will catch back up later...man this work makes you hungry!

so long katastrophic failure, hello old school custom!

good luck with that.....ever worked with fiberglass before?
    Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

hmmm not a bad ideal
      1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
      1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
      1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
      2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
      2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

I see a KOTM in the making! Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Why not just sell the kat and buy the honda?

Comment

lol....... i was gonna make a custom seat cowl when i first got my bike, it started off ok too.....then i got pissed off with the itchyness of the fibre and my hands and fingers sticking together. i hate fibre glass. oh and if you need the toilet make sure you wash your hands really well before hand those fibres will play havok with your erm.....tool. :

good luck with that
            i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

seems like it would look really cool

Comment

i see this getting no further than it is.......but maybe im wrong
                Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

someone cursed me....lol

My bike got stolen sometime between 3am, when I got back from the local street races, and 9am, when I went out to put the carbs and airbox back on after shelling out some money to overhaul them.

So some lucky person is going to get a bunch of new parts. Time for my next bike....

so long katastrophic failure, hello old school custom!

Comment

re

sucks about your bike. happened to me before and i got the bike back, so dont sell your parts yet.
                    dave

Comment

If that is the look your going for I would suggest doing something like what TheKlic did with his.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                      X