X

bad gas mileage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad gas mileage?

I drive to and from work 30 miles back and forth I filled it Tuesday night I have a little under 1/2 tank so since Tuesday I've driven 150 miles I've replace the plugs and put in injector and carb cleaner is this good or bad gas mileage?
    1992 kat 600 Mods, mesh sides dual head lights custom mounted gauges, racing chain, integrated tail light, custom mounted license plate mount. :bunny2

150 miles on 2.5 -3 gallons gas. That's around 50mpg. Where's the issue?
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I have 5 gallon tank, I think. But that is good gas mileage? I wasn't sure if it was or wasn't
      1992 kat 600 Mods, mesh sides dual head lights custom mounted gauges, racing chain, integrated tail light, custom mounted license plate mount. :bunny2

Comment

Bout average for a kat. Keep in mind, its a fat, heavy bike. 40-50 mpg is all good.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

What are you trying to compare it to? My 06 750 Kat averages 45 mpg steady state on the super slab doing 75-80 mph - 40 mile commute. My ZZR gets around 38 mpg and drops down to 30 mpg at buck plus speeds. I would say that's pretty respectable mileage from a carburetted motorcycle.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

You not a little under a half of tank. You're almost ready to hit reserve, unless you ride a lot more gentle than I do and I'm only an idiot on the bike occasionally. Expect 43-45 MPG. Due to the small size of the tank, you need to average four or five tanks to get a true MPG.

150/45= 3.33 gallons. You have .5-.75 or so gallons until reserve.

If this is a new to you bike don't turn the reserve on for the first time far from home.

Comment

Originally posted by freqflyer View Post
              You not a little under a half of tank. You're almost ready to hit reserve, unless you ride a lot more gentle than I do and I'm only an idiot on the bike occasionally. Expect 43-45 MPG. Due to the small size of the tank, you need to average four or five tanks to get a true MPG.

150/45= 3.33 gallons. You have .5-.75 or so gallons until reserve.

If this is a new to you bike don't turn the reserve on for the first time far from home.
              I don't get what you're saying.. I'm new to street bikes been riding dirt bikes my whole life but street is WAY different

Comment

Originally posted by GSX-600F View Post
                I have 5 gallon tank, I think. But that is good gas mileage? I wasn't sure if it was or wasn't
                You really can't get gas mileage from the gauge or by looking in the tank. Proper way to do it is to fill your tank, reset Odometer. Drive till you need gas again. Fill tank, note amount pumped. Divide mileage on odometer by gallons pumped to get MPG. The gauge on these is not accurate enough to get mileage from.
                Last edited by 05RedKat600; 03-01-2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

fuelly.com and track it there....

Comment

Originally posted by 05redkat600 View Post
                    you really can't get gas mileage from the gauge or by looking in the tank. Proper way to do it is to fill your tank, reset odometer. Drive till you need gas again. Fill tank, note amount pumped. Divide mileage on odometer by gallons pumped to get mpg. The gauge on these is not accurate enough to get mileage from.
                    +1

Originally posted by unclebuck View Post
                    fuelly.com and track it there....
                    +1

So if you are anal like me, you end up with this:

Last edited by TRPUT; 03-01-2012, 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks guys! You really are a lot of help =D

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                        So if you are anal like me, you end up with this:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/trput/katana-750-51
                        That's a pretty good average compared to mine ('98/750). I'm burning up half more of what you burn.
                        Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

I get 41mpg out of a 03 SV1k riding the crap out of it everywhere I go but then again it is FI. I got 30-38mpg out of my 01 Kat 750 with a pipe and jet kit. I rode it hard though.
                          Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                            That's a pretty good average compared to mine ('98/750). I'm burning up half more of what you burn.
                            Bear in mind - as it states in the fuel-up notes - this bike spends most of it's runs on open roads. There are usually plenty of hills and bends involved, but it does very few short trips or sitting in traffic. I'm also running 16/42 sprockets to suit the touring application. The figures show >50mpg is possible in gentle touring, but throw on some luggage and/or get a little aggressive and that drops closer to 40mpg.
                            Last edited by TRPUT; 03-02-2012, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I always got right at 50mpg with my 600 Kat as long as I was riding it on open road (6th gear cruise) and keeping it mellow (65-70mph), even 2up. That was upshifting around 6k rpm and not going above around half throttle. Pushing it hard running 9-12k rpm WOT on twisty mountain roads and blasting the straights would drop me down to about 35mpg.
                              John,
                              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X