Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

Kinney's ready rides swingarm extension?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinney's ready rides swingarm extension?

I'm interested in getting the 6"-8" swingarm extension from kinneys ready rides,but before i spend my money i would like some feedback on their extensions,the good and the bad,is it safe,good quality,etc.

Originally posted by 38114vet View Post
    I'm interested in getting the 6"-8" swingarm extension from kinneys ready rides,but before i spend my money i would like some feedback on their extensions,the good and the bad,is it safe,good quality,etc.

The problem I would have with them...

Your swingarm is steel. Their extensions are aluminum. The only option you have is bolt them on. That generally is not the best way. When those types of extensions are used on aluminum arms, the suggested way is for them to be welded on.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The problem I would have with them...

Your swingarm is steel. Their extensions are aluminum. The only option you have is bolt them on. That generally is not the best way. When those types of extensions are used on aluminum arms, the suggested way is for them to be welded on.

Krey
      I agree with Krey.... Thats why I didnt go with those. I recommend having it custom made. looks better and more reliable
      Last edited by ZukiFred; 02-26-2012, 12:50 AM.
      sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

1. You do realize that an extended swingarm will not make your bike handle better. In fact, it will make it handle worse. If you were drag racing and worried about unintended wheelies then an extended swingarm might be a good idea but that's not really a problem with a Kat, no is it?

2. Aluminum and steel flex at different rates. This will cause movement in the joint and tend to loosen up any fasteners that are holding together the part that holds your rear wheel to your bike. That's generally accepted as un-good.

With those in mind, knock yourself out. Just remember that when I get back to LR and get a chance to meet you, I will point and laugh.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I designed these weld in extensions for another member here. they are only 2" but 6-8 would be easy...

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
            I designed these weld in extensions for another member here. they are only 2" but 6-8 would be easy...

I'd use the heck out of those... jus sayn.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              I'd use the heck out of those... jus sayn.

Krey
              If I had ANY interested in a longer sa, thats the way I'd go.
              When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Wild-bill what the **** u talking about?u must b bored and don't have no friends.u ain't got input on what my post was about but u just had to say something irrelevant to what I'm asking.if u don't have info on using an aluminum extension,don't reply.P.S. who cares why I want an extension,all u need to know is the reason I want is cause I want one.

Comment

Bad day?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Are you sure you live in AR not Florida?

If you're really set on destroying your bike, get it done right instead of cheaping out and buying crap parts like you're looking at.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                      If I had ANY interested in a longer sa, thats the way I'd go.
                      Just chop 2" off your arm and weld those in.

And I thought Wild-Bills coment on the different properties with steel and aluminum was very relivant. Guess you dont like hearing your idea is crap

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        Are you sure you live in AR not Florida?

If you're really set on destroying your bike, get it done right instead of cheaping out and buying crap parts like you're looking at.
                        No he's in Arkansas all right. They are infected now.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                          No he's in Arkansas all right. They are infected now.
                          It's like zombieland, but instead of zombies, it's extended swingarms at bike nights
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Hell I wanna shorten my swingarm 1"

But FWIW i have several customers with aluminum bolt in swing arm extensions on zx14 and busas and even smaller SS bikes. The bikes are not garage queens. They have had no issues over years and thousands of miles.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

But are their SAs steel or aluminum? Dissimilar metals just don't get along. At first you get the movement from the differing flex rates and then the corrosion sets in.

Of course, if you're just riding to the local Sonic once a week that's probably not an issue you care about. In that case, whatever. If it makes you happy then that's what it's all about. Guys, let's not hack on anyone. What it really comes down to is that dissimilar metals next to each other cause trouble but whatever you want to do to your ride is cool so long as you understand the consequences.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X