2004 Katana 750 starting issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Katana 750 starting issue

Hello,
    I have a 2004 katana 750 and am having starting issues. The starter is working and is turning the gears but not turning over the engine. Seem the clutch that is on the crankshaft isn't engaging. How do you remove thi clutch? Is this a common issue? Any tips or trick on this would be appreciated.

I'd start with the simple things first...as in A) How old is your battery? b) When's the last time you changed your oil?
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

The battery is fully charged and a year or so old. Oil has 2000 miles.

Comment

See what happens when you boost a start with cables from your car.....make sure your car isn't running. If it starts up.... it's your battery.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

And if there's no change then it's probaably your starter clutch like you originally said.

Welcome, by the way. Hit the Wiki link at the top of the page and search the wiki for "manual". There's repair manuals for download.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

my 2006 katana 600 wouldnt start on me once. i could hear the starter turning but it was not turning the engine. i red on one of the fourms that it was the starter clutch. i remove the bolts holding the side pan and found the bolt that held the starter clutch in place was loose. i retighten and it has worked fine

Comment

Thanks for the info. I went to the wiki link and read up. After checking it turns out the clutch is bad..rotates freely in both directions and will require replacement. Apparently there is a special tool required to remove it. Bummer.

Comment

I am going to Suzuki to buy a rotor puller. If anyone local needs to use one after the weekend...let me know.

Comment

You can make most of the special tools with some scrap steel and a drill press, just FYI...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The tool needed is a rotor/flywheel puller. I got the tool and replaced the clutch. Everything works great ! Woo hoo!

Comment

The tool needed is a rotor/flywheel puller. I got the tool and replaced the clutch. Everything works great ! Woo hoo!

I think I have the same problem. I took the cover off and wanted to know if i could just buy the clutch where did you get your new clutch from? and what was the cost? did you use a regular 3 prong puller like from auto zone?

Comment

Working...
                      X