X

1/4 mile times

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
    I'm gonna find out tonight if a 02 600 will hit 11's with a few tweaks.
    Didn't quite make it. 12.08 @ 109.51mph was the best I could get out of it. The cams, header, and rejetting DID help though. On a normal summer day, with temps in the 90's (like it was tonight) my bike would run 12.20's-30's @ 105-106mph BEFORE the mods. So I got about a tenth or two and 3-4mph out of the cams, header, and rejetting. Pretty good for $240, I'd say. Plus, I got the pleasure of beating a couple of Honda ST bikes.

The bike would run faster if I hot-lapped it, so it must be running lean. I'm gonna try tinkering with the carbs this weekend and take it back next Wednesday to see if I can get my 11's.
    Last edited by JimG4652; 07-01-2009, 11:02 PM.
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

Didn't quite make it. 12.08 @ 109.51mph was the best I could get out of it. The cams, header, and rejetting DID help though. On a normal summer day, with temps in the 90's (like it was tonight) my bike would run 12.20's-30's @ 105-106mph BEFORE the mods. So I got about a tenth or two and 3-4mph out of the cams, header, and rejetting. Pretty good for $240, I'd say. Plus, I got the pleasure of beating a couple of Honda ST bikes.

The bike would run faster if I hot-lapped it, so it must be running lean. I'm gonna try tinkering with the carbs this weekend and take it back next Wednesday to see if I can get my 11's.
      thats cool! good luck man!
      sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
      k9 GSX-R 600
      GO VOLS!

Comment

Dawg and I are gonna have to go down to the local abandoned air strip mark it off and see what we can do this weekend. we'll see if we cant get a lil vidieo of it.
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

They ever have friday night type drags there? Sounds like once you get the jetting dialed in a little better, you'd easily be in the 11's with a little cooler/denser night air. Your mph was up a little bit from your 12.01 108 best run, so sounds like you're really close. How was your 60' time compared to the one on the 12.01 run? What gearing you running?
          Last edited by Psycho1; 07-02-2009, 12:32 AM.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
            They ever have friday night type drags there? Sounds like once you get the jetting dialed in a little better, you'd easily be in the 11's with a little cooler/denser night air. Your mph was up a little bit from your 12.01 108 best run, so sounds like you're really close. How was your 60' time compared to the one on the 12.01 run? What gearing you running?
            I hope I can get it dialed in....thanks for the encouragement

Yes, they run every Friday night at the 2 tracks by my house, but unfortunately, I'm on call for work this weekend, so I can't go. I wasn't supposed to go yesterday because of being on call, but I cheated.

I've lost my time slip from the 12.01 run, and I don't remember. My 60' on the 12.08 pass was 1.793. Best 60' I had yesterday was 1.777, but the bike only ran 12.149 @ 108.41 on that pass. I run 14/50 sprockets.
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like forced induction is next on someone's mod list...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I hope I can get it dialed in....thanks for the encouragement

Yes, they run every Friday night at the 2 tracks by my house, but unfortunately, I'm on call for work this weekend, so I can't go......Best 60' I had yesterday was 1.777, but the bike only ran 12.149 @ 108.41 on that pass. I run 14/50 sprockets.
                Too bad you can't get it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer to see where it's running to help with the jetting ideas. Seriously though get it a slight bit richer, and it sounds like with your current setup you'll break that 12.00 barrier in cooler night air. Might take my pre to the track after I fix the trans and replace the clutch, just to see what it will do.
                John,
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Sounds like forced induction is next on someone's mod list...
                  I do still have a 14B turbo from a Talon I used to have.........

There'd be WAY too much fabrication, and I don't know NEAR enough about these carbs to attempt to tune it; if it's even possible.
                  Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                  Too bad you can't get it on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer to see where it's running to help with the jetting ideas. Seriously though get it a slight bit richer, and it sounds like with your current setup you'll break that 12.00 barrier in cooler night air. Might take my pre to the track after I fix the trans and replace the clutch, just to see what it will do.
                  Getting it on a dyno would probably be the smart thing to do, but I'm a cheap bastage. Plus I'm kinda funny about letting people work on my stuff. They DO know more than me, and that's the problem, I'll never know if they're blowing smoke up my butt.

Each header tube has a bung welded into it to accept a pyrometer probe, so if I found a pyrometer, I could do it myself.....that's a thought

If you can, get the Barnett clutch...I have one in mine and LOVE IT. The shifts feel firm.

Let us know when you take yours to the track, I've heard the Pre's are supposed to be faster than the Posts.....
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  sigpic

Comment

I do still have a 14B turbo from a Talon I used to have.........

There'd be WAY too much fabrication, and I don't know NEAR enough about these carbs to attempt to tune it; if it's even possible
                    This is true. It can be done, Ive seen several turbo ninjas with carbs, 600 750 AND 900s. Lots of dyno time is the staple, however...

Each header tube has a bung welded into it to accept a pyrometer probe, so if I found a pyrometer, I could do it myself.....that's a thought
                    That would make things a lot easier.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Might be a little quicker because of the weight difference. I know wet weight for the '90 600 was supposed to be 491lbs. I figure I probably lost somewhere around 20-25lbs with the V&H SS exhaust compared to the stock heavy duals, another 5-10 lbs for the center stand, maybe 2 or 3lbs for the rear fender and tie downs under the tail, so mine should be in the 450-460 range. Had it on a truck scale that rounds to the nearest 50lbs, and it read 450 with a full tank, so fairly close I'm sure. Might take it to the truck stop where my son works and put it on the certified Cat scale one of these days, since it reads much more accurate than the roadside ones ran by the DOT. Mine has also had some engine work done from what I was told, and it definetly doesn't sound like a normal piped Kat 600. I was told it had cams, head shaved and ported, but not sure how much was really done. Pulls strongest from 9k-12,500rpm without signing off until the limiter kicks in.
                      John,
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
                        slow
                        my kats NOT slow.
                        WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                        We Will Always remember!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1100 View Post
                          my kats NOT slow.
                          Compared to my bike, no it is not slow. It is very fast.

Compared to Sky's liter bike, it's a turd; unless you're heavily modified.....
                          90 GSXR 750/1216
                          sigpic

Comment

Compared to my bike, no it is not slow. It is very fast.

Compared to Sky's liter bike, it's a turd; unless you're heavily modified.....
                            It is modded, and at the dyno shootout last year at hooters, i saw 144.5 rwhp @ 10,500, have'nt run at the track since its finished but, a turd its not.

Sky will outpower me no doubt, but can she leave the line without looping it?(no offence Sky,just generalizing) I've outrun many a litre bike because the rider couldnt get off the line as hard as my heavy,long wheelbase Kitty.

xbox live= katana11
                            We Will Always remember!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1100 View Post
                              It is modded, and at the dyno shootout last year at hooters, i saw 144.5 rwhp @ 10,500, have'nt run at the track since its finished but, a turd its not.

Sky will outpower me no doubt, but can she leave the line without looping it?(no offence Sky,just generalizing) I've outrun many a litre bike because the rider couldnt get off the line as hard as my heavy,long wheelbase Kitty.
                              I hear ya. Im sure the gurlz got skillz... but I know that I can sit my butt up on the tank and still have to fight to keep the R1 down thru at least 3 gears! I cant imagin her not havin problems with the launches!
                              Joker
                              The newest addition to the Family!
                              sigpic
                              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                                I hear ya. Im sure the gurlz got skillz... but I know that I can sit my butt up on the tank and still have to fight to keep the R1 down thru at least 3 gears! I cant imagin her not havin problems with the launches!
                                exactly, And you can believe I have practiced my line starts over and over,I used to leave @5500 rpm, now with the barnett clutch i can pull 6500, your fighting wheelies,Im WFO,

xbox live= katana11
                                We Will Always remember!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X