No announcement yet.
X

Poor mans Gel seat (pic intense no 56k)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever thought of using memory foam on the seat?
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I thought about it but wasn't sure how well the vinyl would conform to it while still holding it's shape. Also thought it might be a little too soft unless I added 4 inches of foam to the seat lol.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
        Has anyone ever thought of using memory foam on the seat?
        I discussed using it with my bro-in-law who does custom upholestry... he said it's very problematic. It is too soft and won't "un-compress" with the vinyl correctly. When exposed to sun and also used, the vinyl starts to deform (stetch and shrink in different areas) making the seat look very "lumpy". Every application he did it on, he recomended against it, and after 6 months had to redo it on the customer's dime.

Thanks for the info on the gel seat inserts. I've been lazy in doing mine but this has me a little motiviated again. I'm still comtemplating how I want to do the tail/passenger seat/solo cowl set up.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

sweet im going to attempt something like this..good write up and pics
          pveity = 100%

Comment

Got to put in just over 100 miles on it riding 2up yesterday, and it was a big improvement. When the seat was still stock, every time I hit a pothole, or sharp bump in the pavement (like tar snakes), you could feel the plastic seat pan kick you in the rear, which became uncomfortable rather quickly. Now potholes and small bumps that use to get irritating, are barely felt, and I never felt the seat pan at all. It was definetly worth the effort and cost of materials. Next project will be some kind of padded slip on backstop/rest, to keep the wife from sliding back against the aluminum grab bar, so I can remove the pipe insulation.
            John,
            sigpic

Comment

Now added, Poor Mans Backrest

John,
              sigpic

Comment

Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

me wants one for my pre 600
                  Chrome Project Part 1
                  http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

nice job and good write-up too

Comment

Very nicely done!

I won't trade it for my corbin, but for what you spent, you have seem to have gotten a great mod and good value... I want to hear you report back when you've done some 300 - 600 mile days

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Very nice. The back rest was a smooth addition to the seat.
                        -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                          Very nicely done!

I won't trade it for my corbin, but for what you spent, you have seem to have gotten a great mod and good value... I want to hear you report back when you've done some 300 - 600 mile days

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                          Yeah I would love to have a Corbin for it, but since the bike was only sold in the US in '86 and '87, they don't list a seat for it, and having them make a one off custom would be highly cost prohibitive. Gotta do whacha gotta do lol.
                          John,
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            Very nicely done!

Put in about 385 miles today. Gel inserts and extra foam over the top made a big improvement in long range comfort, and the wife really enjoyed having the back rest. I felt like I could probably still have gone another 100 miles or so without hurting too terribly after, which is great since I was normally pretty sore with the stock seat after just 250 miles. If anyone else is contemplating doing this mod to their seat, I would recommend maybe using 2 BMX gel inserts stacked on top of each other, instead of just the single one like I did. Using 2 would give you about 1/2 inch thick gel cussion instead of 1/4 inch that I have right now, which I think would be just about perfect. So figure $40 to purchase 4 BMX seat covers instead of $20 for 2. I will probably add another one to mine sometime next winter.
                            John,
                            sigpic

Comment

Lol, impressive mod. Good work!

Comment

great write up nicely done

Comment

Working...
                                X