No announcement yet.
X

Anyone using a GPS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use an antique - Garmin GPS-V, mono screen - no bells or whistles. But, I understand Santa is bringing me a Garmin Nuvi 265WT for Christmas. Will have to figure out how to mount that properly.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

GPS

I use the tom tom off of walmart its 3.5" screen for $120
      i used the original mounting harware I mounted the suction cup that came with it on my windshield and had it covering my gas guage works well for me...

Comment

Just bought the Garmin zumo 660 and wired the hareness it comes with into my 93 GSXF 1100 it was pretty simple. I have not used it on the bike yet but will asap as the weather clears ups and give a report on it with pics. I tried it in the truck and it seemed to work like my nuvi does but its smart and knows what mount its in and ask if you want to change from motorcycle to car mode I dont know what the difference is other than monitoring the fuel tank level. More later on Happy riding

Comment

I use maps first and have the GPS in my tank bag, I pull it out at stops to help me see where I am at the time.
          Always take the scenic route

Comment

Originally posted by bluelinewall View Post
            I use maps first and have the GPS in my tank bag, I pull it out at stops to help me see where I am at the time.
            how do you use a map while you're riding?

the other day i was in ny and i realized how much my maps suck. ny uses sequential exit numbering.....my map doesnt show mile markers. WTF?

Comment

I pull over or when I stop for fuel I will use the maps and GPS as aids to help figure out where I am. I guess I could pass the maps to my passenger. lol
              Always take the scenic route

Comment

I'm fabing a mount and hard wiring my nuvi to my kat tomorrow, I'll be sure to take some pics!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluelinewall View Post
                  I pull over or when I stop for fuel I will use the maps and GPS as aids to help figure out where I am. I guess I could pass the maps to my passenger. lol
                  Now, I have to say, I'm a trucker and so i could basically navigate the whole USA and southern Ontario without a map. I just know most of the interstates....

ANd i guess that depends on what kind of map you use. Most of my maps are a Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Delux atlas, which is spiral bound and laminated and shows truck routes (on a bike, you would use those in reverse...look for roads that are not truck routes!). Now, if you had a paper map, i would not want that being open at 60+ mph. But mine would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
                    .........Now, if you had a paper map, i would not want that being open at 60+ mph. But mine would be ok.

There is no way I would open ANY map at 60 on a bike . My little Tom Tom One 125 gets me anywhere I need to go.
                    Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Assimve View Post
                      There is no way I would open ANY map at 60 on a bike . My little Tom Tom One 125 gets me anywhere I need to go.
                      me either lol.....

Comment

I'm trying to mount up my GPS now and it seems the ideal spot for it (for me) is right above the tank. I hate the idea of using a tank bag (I know, I'm just weird that way) - has anybody used the suction mount on the tank? I'm moderately terrified that the vibration will knock it loose...

Alternately I could get one of those mounts that attaches via the tank filler trim bolts. Probably the safer bet if I don't break down and get a bloody tank bag.

Brad

Comment

Brad, while I have not personally attempted to suction mount my GPS to my tank, please allow me to put a small thought out there for your consideration. It may well hold on for a day or even a month but one time, when you truly need it, you will look down and it will be gone.

I suggest either a tank bag or a frame mount of some kind.
                          Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by BradsKat View Post
                            I'm trying to mount up my GPS now and it seems the ideal spot for it (for me) is right above the tank. I hate the idea of using a tank bag (I know, I'm just weird that way) - has anybody used the suction mount on the tank? I'm moderately terrified that the vibration will knock it loose...

Alternately I could get one of those mounts that attaches via the tank filler trim bolts. Probably the safer bet if I don't break down and get a bloody tank bag.

Brad

If you try that, you deserve it when it falls off while you're riding and you run over it and possibly even wreck. That's a ridiculous idea.
                            I agree that bags do not look right on these bikes. Not just tank bags, but any bags.

Comment

I'm a big Garmin fan but most of my friends use TomTom's. I think both are good!
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                              Black painted seat and rear trim,
                              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                                I'm a big Garmin fan but most of my friends use TomTom's. I think both are good!
                                tomtom has a feature to beep at you when youre speeding..wish my garmin had it but i dont think youd hear it on a bike anyway..haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X