X
X

MSF:ERC and BRC one man's opinion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I teach it in Pa. As for taking the ERC w/out the license, all you need is your permit,and bike of your own that is legal for the road. You also need your own riding gear,Helmet, Full finger gloves, over the ankle footwear and eye protection. As for the full leathers, they are not needed. You can wear a longsleeve shirt. Or if it is really hot out, wear a short sleeve and bring a light jacket, or longsleeve button down to put on when on the bike.
    As for WildKat taking the ERC years ago, you definately should re take it.The entire class has been re formatted, and is a lot more fun and informative.If you consider it, try coming over to site#19 ( Dunmore, PA)to do it we really have a blast!!

Comment

Can anyone provide some specific examples of the exercises in the ERC? I'm signed up to take it this Saturday, and I'm wondering what will be different than the BRC. I better start practicing my figure-8s-in-a-box now, if I have to do that again!

Oh, and the MSF classes are "free" in PA because you pay an extra $5/year for the "M" class designation on your license. You're paying to help the next guy be safe. Still not a bad deal at all.

MM

Comment

Well, I took the ERC today, despite the tornado watch here, and I'll sum it up like this: It's the same as the beginner's course, but without the basic exercises of balancing the bike, learning where the controls are, etc. There's no written test, and the skill test at the end is exactly the same. It's more like an express path to the test than an "advanced" course. I was hoping to learn more advanced techniques but instead got a good refresher on some of the basics.

I'd recommend either course to anyone, and if you've never done the beginner course, even if you've been riding for a while, it's worth it just for the mental part of the course. I learned a ton of tips on the BRC that were hardly covered in the ERC.

MM

Comment

I just completed my BRC and highly recommend it to everyone.

I did the two day course and the first day was VERY boring. We had an instructor who was not paying any attention to us. On the second day, it was very challenging with an instructor who was very hard up, and I learned a lot.

On the first day, we had a squid who bought a brand new GSXR600 and couldn't work the clutch on the only ninja 250 on the range; the bike I wanted to use as it was most similar to my bike. Thankfully they made him switch with me, as I obviously did not fit on my bike, but still managed fine.

Quite frankly, many people in the class did not belong anywhere near a bike. And resultingly, those few failed.

I was quite upset that the second instructor did not allow me to drag rear brake and throttle in the box, as I have always used this technique. I can do U turns tighter than the box with that technique. But at idle the bike kept lugging, even though the instructor insisted that it wouldn't. But that 250 just doesn't have enough torque at idle to lug my heavy butt.

I was criticized for taking turns too slow, so I sped up and got two thumbs up. But later I was reprimanded for tearing it up. LOL. I wasn't keeping the rubber side down, I was leaving it all over the track!

I loved that I finally learned to use both brakes without locking the rear, and learned how to stop quickly in a curve.

Definitely worth the money. But it's still going to be 2 weeks until I get my paperwork for my full license. I'm wondering what will happen if I'm caught riding at night before all the docs are submitted the DMV, even though I've completed the MSF. It's probably best to avoid it, but I love night rides in LA as it is the only way to avoid traffic.
          WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

In PA, they stamp your permit right there, so you leave the course with a full license.

We had a guy do the ERC on a brand new Ducati Monster. Sweet bike, but he had a lot of trouble in the box.

MM

Comment

Do as many courses as you can!!! You learn something new about yourself each time. I just completed the MSF Advanced Sportbike Riders Course. Its completely diffrent than the BRC or ERC, you learn alot more about the mental aspects of riding.
              "Army Strong" Chief Warrant Officer Brisco!

sigpic

Comment

I took the basic course and it was the best thing I could have ever done before picking up my motorcycle. I recommend it to EVERYONE!
                Life is a really long ride. Make sure you do it in style.

Comment

I am a MSF instructor. if you had problems with the 2 u tunrs (not a figure 8) known as the limited space exercise then you need to practice. Had gold wings and ultra classics complete it,so You should be able to with a little practice. Find an empty parking lot and use parking spaces as the box. Need 4 togeter 2 end to end adn its close enough to get the idea.

Also it was mentioned that they are the some course ERC and BRC. Not so, The ERC has tighter manuevers, You just dont realize it.
                  Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

i gotta say, this thread is kinda weird to read since i live in florida. you cant get permits unless you're over 21, and even then, they're only valid for a very limited time. and aside from that, the BRC is mandatory to get your license. so when i was getting mine, there was no learning on my own and riding to figure things out. as soon as it was OK'd that i could get a bike, i was signed up for the BRC, with no experience what so ever. and i do recommend the course for anyone that isnt required to take it. i might do the ERC at some point, when i got some more free time and the money. and when it's not so hot down here...
                    2004 Katana
                    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I have done both courses for FREE. Good ol' USAF. They are offering a Sportbike class (getting off seat) Gonna take that one too. Both classes are great
                      ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

Nice writeup. When I took the BRC course I had ZERO experience, I didn't even own a bike yet. It was WELL worth the money I spent to take the class and learned a great deal. Now two years later I am gearing up for the IRC (Intermediate Riders Course). It is a two day affair and I am really looking forward to it. After the class I will post my impressions of the IRC.
                        Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter View Post
                          I just got my bike and immediately signed up for the MSF BRC. The classes must fill up really fast, because the next available section is August 10th
                          are you going to wait that long to ride your bike really?

i have a similar situation, am going to just take the road test at a truck driving school...they do it every day. $40. ill practice the maneuvers first to make sure its a one shot deal and rent a trailer to get the bike up there

Comment

Just waitlist. . . go extra early on the first day of class. . . there's always 3-4 people who don't show up. . . many cases (no joke) people who have crashed just days before taking the course. It's worth it to take the MSF. Be the first one there, and you will probably get in. Call ahead and confirm that they allow you to waitlist. . . so long as you are already registered, they usually let you do it.
                            WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

the Marine Corps requires that within 30 days of completing the BRC you must be enrolled to do the ERC, and you can't get decals on your bike until you complete it, only temps.

and through military both courses are free, and you can even do a Keith Code course free as well, which i currently am enrolled to do, going to be sweet

Fife

Comment

Originally posted by djct_watt View Post
                                Just waitlist. . . go extra early on the first day of class. . . there's always 3-4 people who don't show up. . . many cases (no joke) people who have crashed just days before taking the course. It's worth it to take the MSF. Be the first one there, and you will probably get in. Call ahead and confirm that they allow you to waitlist. . . so long as you are already registered, they usually let you do it.
                                Its a longass drive but i'm going to do that. Problem is as a trucker i have a lot of issues with getting home on time for things like that. And if i tell dispatch i *have to* be there, they'll get me there...at the expense of getting enough loads to make enough money to pay for it.. LOL. Get the drift? Looks like they pretty much do it every saturday so i think i can handle it. Still going to do the roadtest to get legal ASAP. I dont wanna get caught riding without the endorsement and that's what i'd end up doing if i waited, ya know....

That's all assuming i get the bike running before i get a chance to take the BRC. I might not, hehe. I think the petcock needs to be rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                                X