Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Will replacing header/downpipes cut any weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will replacing header/downpipes cut any weight?

Hi I was looking at this stainless steel header downpipe http://www.ebay.com/itm/181288417951 and trying to figure out if I can cut any weight that way. If anyone knows/can post the approximate weight of the stock ferrous header pipes I will post the weight of the replacement stainless pipes when Delkovic gets back to me.

Already cut (guesstimating at least) 23 lbs. replacing stock exhaust can and S bend with two-brothers slip on M series carbon fiber exhaust and stainless s tube. ( 0n 06 750 Kat )

You do realize stainless weighs just as much as carbon steel right? If you want to cut weight, you'll need titanium or aluminum. I don't know if they make aluminum exhaust pipes, I just don't know. I do know they make titanium exhausts. It's costs more than your Katana was worth when it was new. When you're trying to reduce weight to gain performance. Rotational mass is key. Rplace the steel wheels with forged carbon. Lighten and balance the crank, use titanium connecting rods. A 23 lbs reduction in curb weight, won't help at all.
    Last edited by arsenic; 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Even if it did, you would gain nothing, maybe 5-6 max depending on the header. Since it flows better than stock be prepared to install a jet kit. If not installed already.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-27-2015, 05:58 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        You do realize stainless weighs just as much as carbon steel right?
        This particular replacement header is made from 1.5mm. I have no idea what the stock pipe is made from but if its thicker that could be a substantial weight difference no?
        The rotational mass is still driving a (total) weight, why wont weight reduction aside from that make a difference?
        Thanks for the rapid responses, just trying to figure it all out

Comment

What's 5# (max) when the bike weighs 500#= not enough to even see anything. You would have to loose quit a bit of weight to get anything meaningful out of performance.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

With a 500+ lbs motorcycle, a stainless steel header compared to a carbon steel header is not substantial. Basically all you have to figure out is that you own a Katana. Even if you cut as much weight as you can, it's still going to be a lot heavier than anything modern.
            Last edited by arsenic; 10-27-2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X