On the Hunt for a Taillight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Hunt for a Taillight

Hello all, jumping straight to it Im looking for a tail light

field of play is going to be anywhere from 7 to 9 inches long and height of 2 to 3 inches. plenty of room for depth.

I chopped off the ass end to clean it up and to make it a dedicated 1 up.

looking to get something aftermarket or something for another bike prefer LEDs for brightness.. so post all suggestions and links please. Im US based so i'd prefer a us based e seller. Thanks

* disclaimer: yes i have googled searched (been searching since I started to project). r6 lights are cool but I am looking for more than just 2 round lights. I can't salvage my current light. credit will be given to best choice as soon as I start my long term build thread.
    93 Kat 750
    02 RAM 1500
    04 BMW X3
    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

found this one while browsing a while back.. anyone knows what light this is?.
    93 Kat 750
    02 RAM 1500
    04 BMW X3
    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

I believe you are mistaken... the common R6 mod is below. Its a 2003 R6

My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

the R6 lights I came across was either the big diamond one or the two small round lights. i will have to look into the 2003 stuff.

was that board integrated with turn signal? im still having the worst luck searching .. still finding the integrated 2 pc looking stuff (I just want the running /brake will mount separate signals.)
          Last edited by kbotk89; 10-02-2015, 12:40 PM.
          93 Kat 750
          02 RAM 1500
          04 BMW X3
          ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

found it, trolling mainiac1886 page.. its an R1 light not an R6!. DAS the shape and size i was looking for.
            93 Kat 750
            02 RAM 1500
            04 BMW X3
            ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

This is the one I got. Weird they say its for a ZX6R now. it used to be an 03 R6. Anyway, you have to break the lens off to get access to the board. Screw it into the housing. then run the wires through the whole where the old bulb used to be

Originally posted by kbotk89 View Post
              found it, trolling mainiac1886 page.. its an R1 light not an R6!. DAS the shape and size i was looking for.

Must have posted at the same time. Looks like its also listed for a zx6r. But yah, thats it. Works well. Take the board off the backing, and you will see that it fits quite well behind the screw holes of the housing that the lens screws down to. I actually notched mine out to sit a little more snug. With it in place, handsrew the screws into the housing to make a mark of where it needs to be, then pull the light board out and hand screw those puppies in. Then put the board back on screw it down and you should be good to go. You also want to take into consideration that LEDS are brightest when looked at straight and with the tail being on an angle, you want the board to be on a bit of a downward angle. You may want to mock it up and adjust before screwing it in so you get the brightest possible light output from it. you will see in my picture of the board in the housing that it is not at the same angle as the housing. you want it as close to paralell with the road as possible.

Here's a better picture of the "notches" i made in it.

Last edited by maniac1886; 10-02-2015, 01:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Oh is that a 600 housing you guys are running with the r1/ r6/ kawa led board? .. my bike is an 93 750.. my light housing looks like a preschoolers roof top! I should be able to use the 2003 r1 light and housing. the "redroof" wont fit anywhere with the current setup
                93 Kat 750
                02 RAM 1500
                04 BMW X3
                ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Food for thought: you can switch the tail from the bulky 750 to 600. You would need new rear fairings, pre6 light housing, and I believe there is another piece u gotta buy but I don't remember off hand. There are a ton of threads on here doing it. The 750 tail light is hideous.

Oh right, u cut it off... Never mind. Lol
                  Last edited by maniac1886; 10-02-2015, 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                    Food for thought: you can switch the tail from the bulky 750 to 600. You would need new rear fairings, pre6 light housing, and I believe there is another piece u gotta buy but I don't remember off hand. There are a ton of threads on here doing it. The 750 tail light is hideous.

Oh right, u cut it off... Never mind. Lol
                    too late, chopped it. the 750 tail fairing, turnlights, and rear were all pretty toast when I got it. even the plastic fender was scuffed (how the po did it by downing it i will never know) so it all came off, with a saw. I know its frowned upon here but the less stuff I have to worry about the better.. I referenced that pic above because that is where the new light will go..
                    93 Kat 750
                    02 RAM 1500
                    04 BMW X3
                    ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

My Kat just got pretty close to demolished in an accident. Im rebuilding but it will definitely be a street fighter. I may end up doing something drastic like cutting it up too. dont know yet tho.
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I went with the 7.5 inch zx6r light with clear lensfrom the 2007 model. The housing looks a bit clearer and leds are brighter. I will mostly use the brake light functions and run alternate turn signals.
                        93 Kat 750
                        02 RAM 1500
                        04 BMW X3
                        ..and a Pair of Hyo GT's

Comment

Working...
                        X