No announcement yet.
X

Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rockin Conti Road Attacks on my Kat. I like them. Wayy better than the stock tires that came on it! haha. I've read alot of good things on the road attacks so i went ahead and picked them up. My next tires will probably be the pr2 or pr3 just to see what all the hype is about.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
      Rockin Conti Road Attacks on my Kat. I like them. Wayy better than the stock tires that came on it! haha. I've read alot of good things on the road attacks so i went ahead and picked them up. My next tires will probably be the pr2 or pr3 just to see what all the hype is about.

More miles, at least as good traction dry, much better traction wet... when comparing road attacks to PRs 2 and 3s.

But, the real noticeable thing... much much less road vibration on the PRs vs the Road Attacks.

<---- PR 3 on my 750, PR 2 on Badfaerie's 750, Road Attacks on my 600. So I get to ride all 3 tires any time, and one right after the other.

I've used a set of road attacks on my 750 before the PRs on it now as well.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes that honestly is my selling point on the pr line. I didnt like riding in wet conditions with the stock tires one bit. I have not pushed these ones too much in wet conditions but they just look like they wont hold well in standing water based on the shape of the tread. I would like something i can feel confident rolling on when i get caught in the rain and from what ive read, the PR's are the go to tire for wet conditions.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
          Yes that honestly is my selling point on the pr line. I didnt like riding in wet conditions with the stock tires one bit. I have not pushed these ones too much in wet conditions but they just look like they wont hold well in standing water based on the shape of the tread. I would like something i can feel confident rolling on when i get caught in the rain and from what ive read, the PR's are the go to tire for wet conditions.
          They are. I have PR3's on my 600 and am very comfortable in heavy downpours even. The other nice thing about the PR line is a the temperatures they are rated for. 24 degrees for the cold and 130 for the high if I remember correctly. I put 5,000 miles on mine since late last August and love em. The lowest temp I rode in was mid to upper 20's with a lot of miles in the 30's. The only place they have felt off is one intersection near my house with lots of tar snakes. It has felt a bit slippery there but not noticed that anywhere else.
          I even had to go through about 50 yards of ice and did not have a problem, granted I went very slow with my feet out to outrigger if needed but did not end up needing to.
          Last edited by rschlegel; 05-12-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Pilot Road 4s

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
            They are. I have PR3's on my 600 and am very comfortable in heavy downpours even. The other nice thing about the PR line is a the temperatures they are rated for. 24 degrees for the cold and 130 for the high if I remember correctly. I put 5,000 miles on mine since late last August and love em. The lowest temp I rode in was mid to upper 20's with a lot of miles in the 30's. The only place they have felt off is one intersection near my house with lots of tar snakes. It has felt a bit slippery there but not noticed that anywhere else.
            I even had to go through about 50 yards of ice and did not have a problem, granted I went very slow with my feet out to outrigger if needed but did not end up needing to.

Got back last week from a 2300 mile French trip, which did for my Avon Road Riders ( not my choice, they came with the bike, and had too much tread left to throw away).

Last Friday a set of PR4s went on. They are brilliant, great grip, better ride - proof if more were needed - " you get what you pay for".

Comment

I really wish they made pr3's for the kat 1100, they'd transform the handling of that bike.
              I got a set of PR3's for my '11 C14 After 15,000 miles, the rear needed to be replaced, the front still has maybe 8k miles left. Handling was great, especially in the wet. I replaced the rear with a PR4,when the front is replaced, it too will get a pr4.

Comment

I just bought the parts to convert my 1100 to 17" mostly just so I can run PRs. With the loads of power available on that bike, I'd really rather be confident that I've got good traction whatever the weather conditions are.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm going to get laughed out of here, but hear me out, you can actually get some new ideas.

I had a Bridgestone Battlax (024, I think) 110/80-17 front and a Michelin Pilot Road 2 150/80-17 rear with somewhere around 8k miles on them when I bought the bike. Didn't like them at all and the rear tire was beginning to bald. After a hefty time of research, bought a set of Shinko 011 Verge tires (marketed as a sport-touring tire) because I didn't really have any money to throw around. Also because I'm a cheap prick in general. Front 120/70-17 for 62€, rear 160/60-17 95€. Not on sale either, those were the normal prices, so yeah, pretty goddamn cheap.

Haven't regretted a second of it. I've now ridden for 3k miles on the new tires and they show no signs of wear. They corner much better than the old tires and I've been riding in all weather with zero issues whatsoever. I feel confident on them and can clearly tell that the most limiting factor on the bike is still me, the rider. They seem to be supremely resistant to hydroplaning and have had no other grip-related issues either (apart from obvious stuff like wet manhole covers, leaves and road markings). Utterly worthless on gravel roads and offroad, though, but what do you expect from street tires...

So yeah, you can get good stuff for cheap if you're unprejudiced.
                  1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

Comment

Working...
                  X