X

Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

I have researched the forum extensively and see that the overall consensus are the Metzler Z6's. What I wanted to know is has anyone tested the Z8's?

I'd love to know more about options on tires. My current set is good for a while but when time comes around, I want to be able to pick up the best option.

Also what about the Bridgestone Battlax line of tires or any other brands at that matter?

Thanks
    Last edited by bbtheking; 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM.

Michelin pr2 are to best at this point, coni-motions are good or avon road riders- though they are no longer made they do have a replacement for them, I don't like metzler at all. I can't speak of others I haven't tried.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

PR2 and PR3 - have yet to see a so gle negative thing written about either one. I also personally really like both. Great grip and very good life span. Also had Pirelli angles for a while, those were alright. Can't comment on the others
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I have to say I like the Conti-Motions.

Not super grippy, but on a Kat that is hardly a problem. They are inexpensive, fairly easy to find, look good in my opinion, and work well. They handle everyday riding with absolutely no hassles. I have them mounted, and I'd really recommend them.

Comment

I had Z6's and Strada's on my Kat and they were great. The BT021's on the VFR sucked near the end, loving the PR3's from start to finish though and I'm on my 2nd set.
          Kyle

Comment

That's great. I was thinking the PR3's looked excellent. Thanks for the responses!

Comment

FYI Pr3's are more sport oriented, pr2's are more street oriented
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I started with Z6 tires on my Kat and I replaced them with Z8s. I loved both tires and got roughly 10,000 miles from each. However, that's all I had ever rode. I had significant cupping on my Z8s when I retired them last week, but to be fair, I really did not keep up with maintaining tire pressure as I should have, especially throughout the winter months.
                I tended to have more confidence in hard leans with my Z6 than the Z8, but that may partially be due to my accelerating and braking a little too hard while in a corner with the Z8, which lead to a few scary times recovering from my rear tire sliding away from me (I recovered each time though, just scared myself pretty bad). Also, the Z8s were a bit slick the first couple hundred miles.

I was happy with my Metzeler Roadtec tires, but I decided to try something different this time and replaced my Z8s with Michelin Pilot Road 3s about 550 miles ago based on the amazing reviews here and elsewhere. They have been AMAZING so far! Really no break-in time required like Z8s. I did take it a little easy at first, but I took a few fairly sharp turns within the first 50 miles and felt completely comfortable. I can't speak for longevity yet, but so far they (combined with my new chain and sprockets ) make riding 100x more fun than with my old cupped Z8s, and as I recall, a bit better than the Z6 and Z8 before they were old and worn.

The PR3s' much better feel in the corners make me wonder if I'll get any better mileage out of them (after all, you can't get the best of both worlds, can I?). I hope for at least 10,000 like I got with my Metzelers, but we'll see. I'll be paying very close attention to tire pressure this time around... I'd love for these tires to last
                Last edited by Jcates888; 10-26-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Now I'm excited to get new tires. I bought my bike used about a month ago. Only got to ride for about 2 weeks and then had a small, 5mph drop and cracked the crankcase cover on the LH side. So, now I sit and wait for parts to come in. Then I'm back at it. From what I can tell, the tires I have are decent, but I'll need some new ones in the next few months. I think the PR 3's are the way I'm going. They seem pretty cool.

Comment

After getting my bike on the road back in June I ran what was on it for a couple months. Not impressed with the old Michelin tires, but they were ancient and had sat for a long while. Looked at the PR2, PR3 and Conti Motion's as replacements.

I ended up getting the Conti's, mostly because I'm so new as a rider (the Kat being my first bike) that I figured that either of the Michelin's would be wasted on me at this time. I've not regretted that decision in the least. For me, who doesn't push the limits at all yet, the Conti's have been very predictable and linear feeling and do well on wet roads as well. Will probably end up going the Michelin route next time, just for comparison.

Comment

I only use conti motion tires. I've tried pilots and don't get near the mileage the continentals give me. Just got 12k out of my last set!

Comment

If you ride in bad weather, the PR3's are fantastic. Here in Colorado most sport touring bikes I see are running them. I also hear that you get good mileage. I have put about 4,000 miles on mine and only notice slight wear. I too am hoping to see the 10k mark before need of a change. The slight wear I see is on the rear. The front shows almost no wear that I can see. I love the PR3's so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
                          I only use conti motion tires. I've tried pilots and don't get near the mileage the continentals give me. Just got 12k out of my last set!
                          the most I get on Motions is about 6-7K. only got a little more from PR2s. didn't get much from the PR3s. they felt squigly to me. what tire pressure do you use?
                          Last edited by KAT TOY; 03-22-2014, 05:52 PM.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I rock the Dunlap Q3's i've had them for four months and I love them, real awesome for the twisties and street. i've not had anything else yet, and I don't really plan on it either.
                            1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

I have Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 on mine. I put about 2,500 miles on them and they seem to be wearing fine. I wanted a sport/touring type of tire. This tire seems to work well. It has great water traction. I do get caught in the rain a lot. The ridges of Pennsylvania like to squeeze out quick random rains while I'm there.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X