No announcement yet.
X

48 States 10 Days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Er, I probably wouldn't go on a 8000 mile ride on a 15 year old bike without first replace MANY of the components. Pack tools, and spare parts.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Er, I probably wouldn't go on a 8000 mile ride on a 15 year old bike without first replace MANY of the components. Pack tools, and spare parts.
      Definitely! Isn't it funny you ride everyday putting 20k on in a year but a trip like this is when something is gonna fail... I will have new touring tires, adjust the carbs, and I don't know when the valves have ever been adjusted so I'll try and hold out on that till a little before the trip(how often should that be done anyway?). One thing I need to get situated is an oil leak... It seems to be an inlet under the cabs, it started out of the blue. I'm waiting till I have time to take my carbs off and not worry about having it ready for work in the morning. Hopefully I'll have a truck soon as backup transportation and the kat will get some love.

I will have my tool set mastered by then figured I'd take an oil filter, plugs, bulbs and fuses. My tool setup now is one of everything I use when I'm doing maintenance except the compact model.

I want one of these to add to the regiment Unfortunately this is a kit for HD but I'll probably put one very similar together; it's got to have a crescent wrench in case I've got to break an axle nut loose...
      Last edited by niqbales; 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM.
      95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
      Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
      ---
      I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

I carry enough tools for me to basically take my bike apart if I'm going more than 4 hours from home.

At least, but not limited to hex wrenches, the spanner to adjust the chain, 36mm (front sprocket) and 46mm (rear wheel) sockets, 12mm Hex socket, 17mm socket for the swing arm chain release and a ½” breaker bar. Also one small can of Honda polish and a microfiber towel, as well as a few shop rags and a can of chain lube. Dyna Plugs, 12v compressor.

Also my seat and tank can be removed without tools now. In fact, all I carry in my saddle bags is tools and a pair of shoes... the rest of the gear goes in my tail bag
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

curiousity is just killing me... steves what on your rear wheel requires a 46mm socket?
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I carry enough tools for me to basically take my bike apart if I'm going more than 4 hours from home.

At least, but not limited to hex wrenches, the spanner to adjust the chain, 36mm (front sprocket) and 46mm (rear wheel) sockets, 12mm Hex socket, 17mm socket for the swing arm chain release and a ½” breaker bar. Also one small can of Honda polish and a microfiber towel, as well as a few shop rags and a can of chain lube. Dyna Plugs, 12v compressor.

Also my seat and tank can be removed without tools now. In fact, all I carry in my saddle bags is tools and a pair of shoes... the rest of the gear goes in my tail bag
            A 12v compressor is a great idea... When I said I'm taking any tools I use for maintenance I meant pretty much taking the bike apart, chain adjustments, all fairings off gettin down and dirty. One thing I'll definitely have soon is a loobman setup, thinking I'm gonna make my own... I think I'll put an extra large reservoir for mine so it'll last a lot of miles. I'll be making one as soon as I replace my chain. I use chain wax now but I will change that with the chain and get a oiling system setup. I definitely want a good tool kit put together tho...
            95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
            Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
            ---
            I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              curiousity is just killing me... steves what on your rear wheel requires a 46mm socket?
              The sprint's rear wheel is held on by a single, large 46mm nut.

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm a bit further north in FL. I'm in Jacksonville near the beach. If you're leaving from one of the coasts, or heading east to west, you could start/end the coast to coast one at my place. It's like 15 minutes to the beach from my house.

Let me know. We have a loft, and if the wife won't wash the clothes, I will. I want to do an Iron butt one fo these days. So I'm all for helping out. I cook some mean stuff on the grill too and we're thinking about buying a smoker.
                "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

If only he were kidding...

I still want to know what you plan on using all those tools for. Why would you need to pull the rear wheel on the road? It's not like you have an innertube, so need need to pull the wheel to put a plug in.
                  Pull the front sprocket? You do most of your own work, so you know it was tightened to spec, it's not going to loosen without a catastrophic failure, and with that kind of failure, you're done anyway.

Mandals, because nothing bigger will fit. Might be time to get a set of the GT bags.

On the Connie, I carry the stock tool kit, a compressor, tire plugs, a Leatherman, self fusing silicone tape, and a Spot Tracker with a button that has someone call me a tow. Anything bigger than that, I'm not going to fix on the side of the road. On the KLR, the tool kit is a bit more intensive, because I could be a long way from the road to be stuck on the side of, and because fixing a flat involves an innertube.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Actually, I carry the 36 and 46mm sockets, assuming that I could find a shop to do the work... but that if it's not a triumph shop they won't have access to those when I need them most.

I like my security. Don't forget the spare throttle and clutch cables lubed and looped up on the underside of my tank, and the stubby 10mm wrench I'd need to change it in the field.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

For tire repairs/plugs, is there any specific model/type/brand that use? Is there a difference or specific type of plugs between mc and cars?

My scoot didn't come with the stock tool kit. I have the spanner wrench (for the shocks)but the extension bar that came with the aftermarket tool kit doesn't fit. I assume the slip on extension is used for other repairs as well. Any suggestions?
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm carrying DynaPlugs right now because they do not require any cement. Traditional tire plugs require the use of a plug, and cement... and the cement can dry out in the tube. Of course, every gas station I've ever been to carries plug kits in the store.

I would also consider the Stop n Go which is a mushroom plug

My tool problem is related to the fact that my mentors ride 30 year old air heads I suppose
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget the spare throttle and clutch cables lubed and looped up on the underside of my tank, and the stubby 10mm wrench I'd need to change it in the field.
                          You know the proper place for those is zipped tied to the existing cables. No futzing with routing around a hot engine.

OK, so I'm thinking you and Matt need to have a tool off. He with the most tools can buy the other a drink while you discuss strategies on filling a trailer full of any tool you could possible need for any job. Hmmm, two inch reciever hitch on the back of the Sprint so you can carry the NoMar and spare tires...
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

matt would win, hands down.

I considered zip ties to the existing cables, but I would have run into a length and routing problem because of the way the throttle cables go from the bar to the TBs.

For the clutch cable, I was concerned with exposure to the cable itself at the same rate as the existing cable causing issues.

Thankfully with the tank off the sprint, all three cables are fairly easy to route with few surprises... and my tank is now held on with a special pin and cotter key
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I would also consider the Stop n Go which is a mushroom plug
                              Stop&Go for me. Knock on wood, I've never had to use it, but by now it has at least 50k miles floating around under a seat or in a pannier.

If I were to by another kit, I'd probably go with the Nealey kit. http://www.tirerepairkit.com/default.htm It's a really interesting concept that I think would work incredibly well.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet

Comment

The dynaplug has a brass insert on the inside, and you can use multiples if it's a big hole But hopefully I'll never need it.
                                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X