No announcement yet.
X

Back to my "Alma Mater"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well now, this isn't the report I had in mind a few days ago when I teased, "stay tuned". Now that I have had a day to sort it out, it really comes down to this. I didn't ride that bike with the respect it deserves. I let the "red-mist" do the thinking and it bit me this time. Bad. I'm going to hurt for a while.

How old do you have to get before the laws of gravity no longer apply? You all know the answer to that one, they always apply. But gravity didn't cause the crash, I did. Speed, controlled by my right hand, twisting the grip, too much, too soon, by a guy that thought he could handle it. I broke the very rules I have taught, that I hope I had passed on to my sons and any one else that I thought would listen to me. First you must ride well, speed is a by-product of your mastering the art.

What started out earlier in the week as an exercise in "tuning up my skills" damn near became a tragedy for my family and friends, for all of them, I am truly sorry for my lack of judgement not only to them, but to the folks that got their session cut short by bringing out the Red-Flag for one of "those guys".

Even though they probably thought they had just witnessed the oldest squid on the planet trying to do away with himself by the end of the first session, my thanks to the Mid-Ohio School for their fast and professional response to my off track excursion.

We arrived on time Wednesday morning. As teddy will attest, I am anal about being punctual, I have always prided myself on being prepared, but on this outing I didn't use my usual list to check off the many tasks and details that need to be dealt with. I took a much less professional approach to the whole ordeal. Mistake number one. Fast doesn't know you "usually" have a much better work ethic.

Upon arriving, I'm off to registration, by the time I return, I barely have the time to get the bike to tech before the mandatory riders meeting. My bike is always 100%, and the scrutineers only suggest a bigger piece of duct-tape on each one of my wheel weights, yeah right, they always have to find something, right? Back in the paddock, new, bigger tape was applied. (I had a scrutineers license years ago). They're just doing thier jobs, you know?

Anyway, now I'm off to the riders meeting. It's always the same old stuff, the flags are here, here and here, and oh, by the way Indycars were here last weekend, most of the marbles are gone or way off the line you SHOULD be using today. Why didn't someone look at me and SCREAM "hey old man, watch for the marbles those Indycars left for you, they could bite you later if you're not paying attention". Then it's more of the bla, bla, bla stuff with here's todays riding coaches and your group number, oh by the way, be safe out there today, it's not a race. No money or trophys will be presented at the end of the day. Lunch will be in garage number eight. I never miss where lunch will be. Today, I will miss lunch at garage number eight.

Meanwhile, back in the paddock, Barb has had volunteers help her set up our canopy, and gotten everything placed just the way I like it. (More of my anal retentive behavior). So now it's just wait until we're called to the grid, drink plenty of water, and wiggle into the leathers when the time comes. Soon the time comes to head to pit lane and grid with my group, one last kiss and a mutual "I love you" before the helmet that will save my life in a few minutes goes on, God, I love that AGV helmet, their leathers and gloves too!

Off to the pit lane, can't find my group, where are these supposed to be "cones" numbered 1through 4. Well, lets see, over there's number 1, and over there's number 5, five? What the hell is up, where are the coaches (still coming in from the previous session), but I don't know this. Usually group one goes out, then group two, three, etc...not here, not today, I guess this works, I just didn't expect it. Note to self, OLD farts don't like different, I'll pass that along at lunch.

I don't like my group. They're slow. Lap 1, bla, bla bla. Wave at the wife as I pass under the start finish line, funny huh? I think she got a picture of me! Lap two, still sucks. Lap three, sucks a little less. Start lap four, coming out of the keyhole, another group is LAPPING us!
    Oh no you don't, I point to the coach to go with the other group, and then I go. I wonder if I did the right thing. I hang with them at the back of the group, much, much faster, I likey. Lap five, not. Turn one, too much speed, in to deep, too fast, marbles, chatter, the grass, the gravel. I rode it all the way to the gravel. Grass, you stay off the trottle, you'll make it! Gravel, the bike stops, depending on that speed thing, you may not (your body that is), mine didn't. Gravity wins! I'm flying! Wait, it's now true that I can fly, can I land? No, at least not well.

I'm off the bike, it's still running, get to the wall, I hurt, is anything broken? I fell off my bike! It's a mess, I'm a mess. Hey buddy, you OK? Yeah, yeah, tell her (Barb, she worries about me) I'm ok. Crash cart gets here, you sit in the front, you're ok, right? Yeah, I think so, I just crashed, what the h e l l do I know? I'm taking you to the track hospital. Twenty five years, I always knew where it was, never been in it. It's nice, in a kind of sucks to be here kind of way. Do you want to be transported to an area hospital? Adrenaline and shock are amazing things, I said no, I'm OK, just got the wind knocked outa me. Sign this form, come back if you think you need to.

Barb enters the hospital. I'm sorry, I never wanted this to happen with you here at the track. You say stupid things when you miss a hundred mile per hour turn and come to a stop before your body is prepared to do so. As we head back to the paddock, I get a thumbs-up from the pit lane official, glad you're still with us!

Back in the paddock, I'm actually entertaining thoughts of repairing the bike, I've got my tools, I've got another windshield, and then it hits me, not only do I hurt like Rocky just used me as his own personal meatbag, my bike is done, and even if I could put it back together with duct-tape, they are not going to let me finish the day. I'm in shock. Now I just want to go home. We text and send pictures to the boys, I'm embarrased. I thought I was better than that. I'll be back on the bike soon. It will be a different color, and have some new upgrades. As for an old mans healing process, it takes as long as it takes. Thanks to all for your concern, Jim.

Comment

Thanks for the story Jim, very well written... and I hope the pain doesn't last too long.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

No shame in crashing. Every get-off teaches you something you may have never known, or something you needed to be reminded of.
        Heal up soon and get back out there =)
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
        [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Really hate to hear it but glad you are mostly ok. Rest up and heal fast.
          sigpic
          1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Really enjoyed your narrative, Jim. Gravel. Me too. Let's heal quickly and get back out there.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Dad always has a way with words to make even a schitty situation seem like a total experience, doesn't he? I've crashed before, and my story wouldn't have been as cool...mine woulda been more like.."I crashed yesterday, and it effin SUCKED!!"

Anywho, I stopped over after work today and Dad wanted to check things out for leaks and whatnot so it wasn't just pouring fluids all over the inside of the trailer. Mom and I unloaded it (under dad's supervision of course ), and I promptly tore into it. All of the plastics are now off the bike, the left side main taking the brunt of the fall and pretty much the only one in need of any kind of major repair. Dad is pretty good..no, he's simply outstanding, when it comes to bike preparedness and maintenance. His forethought of buying a radiator screen most likely saved him from having to buy a new radiator, as it had been impacted with a shload of the pea gravel from the gravel trap. Upon seeing that, I decided we needed to tear the tank off and check out the innards of the airbox for gravel. Clean as a whistle aside from the usual bugs and small granules of crap. Forks are straight, front wheel runs out true, not a single lever even bent, let alone broken off. Upper fairing stay has a slight bend to it easily fixed with a length of pipe and a little persuasion. Bike is absolutely mechanically sound, just a bit dirtier than usual, and I'm sure now that it's apart, it'll be cleaner than clean soon.

Tomorrow I mix paint at work for the new paint job and get plastic repair supplies around. Sounds like a good time for me to do that how-to on spraying automotive paint and making your fairings look better than they did off the showroom....dad can take the pictures from the chair I'm sure he'll have setup in the garage to supervise.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Every "moment" I've had on track has been session one. Between other peoples stuff not being prepped and cold tires, cold track, cold brain...
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Update...for the bike at least..I'll let dad do his own 'personal' updates he's better though...still hurting, but a little less than yesterday.

The 'guts' of the bike are all cleaned back up. I still can't believe how much of that pea gravel goes everywhere under all the plastic. And it must have had sand mixed in with it, what a mess... So anyway, we got everything clean, checked out the front brake calipers for stones and set a plan in place for paint. First step was starting to repair plastics. I plastic welded/stitched the underside of all the cracks tonight to get everything started. All of the mounting tabs are solid again, the upper fairing is one piece and so is the left main. Next step is grinding the top sides of the plastics for the ABS cement/epoxy followed by bodywork, prime, seal, and paint. We have a few before pics of the damage and some of what got done tonight and we'll get them posted when we get a chance. I'd do it now, but they are on mom's camera, not mine. More to come soon.....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Good news is always welcomed!
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Good morning! Ya-hoo, I'm walking without a knee brace today, I'll put that knee at 90% and improving. The bruising on my left shoulder is now turning from a lovely shade of blue to kind of a greenish-yellow, a sign that it is improving daily, also with much less pain, again I'll say back to 90%. My chest (ribs) seem to be improving, I could actually sleep for a few hours in bed last night (been sleeping in a chair) as it was almost unbearable to lay flat. As long as I don't cough or sneeze, it's basically ok.

Any one of the two aformentioned and the pain sends me into orbit. Dr. mom is going to the pharmacy to look for a better way to wrap my chest. I'll give the chest about a 75% and improving daily.

Ted (and Ethan) have been working on the bike, Grandpa is only allowed to watch. I must say they are doing a fine job and much improvement and repair has taken place. Sometimes I look at the bike and think, oh that doesn't look so bad after all. Other times I look at it and think, I'm a lucky boy to have no more injury than I do.

We'll post some pictures soon of what Ted basically had to start with, and track his progress throughout the rebuilding process. I'm already impressed with the way he "stitched" the plastic back together with a soldering iron, pretty slick.

Comment

For the chest, you might want to try some heavy medical taping along/over the area of the offending ribs before wrapping.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it, the ace bandage gets uncomfortable the longer it's worn. It kinda curls up on the top and bottom as you move around.

Comment

yeah I know years ago, Dr's used to tape over broken ribs to help keep them from shifting as much.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

and Jim, it goes without saying that many of us here are praying for your speedy full recovery...for sure.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Most definitely!
                                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                                ------------------------------------------
                                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                                X