No announcement yet.
X

NESBA Trackday gone wrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't hear any tire noise and he wasn't in a turn?????
    Something machanical had to have happened! I didn't see any oil from other bikes on the track either. The way he went done makes me think oil or antifreeze from his own bike?
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

It's VERY strange. Even he doesn't know what happened. And he might not ever know for sure, since the bike caught on fire and pretty much burned to a crisp.

I noticed a few things though. Around the 1 minute mark, the transmission stops shifting properly. Takes him 3 tries to get it into 5th gear. Strange on it's own. At 2:33, he's leaning very very slightly but mostly going straight, then you hear an odd clunking noise, then within the very same second, he's on the ground. No tme to react whatsoever.

But after the wreck, when the fire is just starting, before he runs and grabs the camera, you can hear the starter engaging itself and cranking the motor over, and the motor is not running.

Why is the motor not running? Was he wearing a lanyard? Or did it stall at the same moment he wrecked?

I think the transmission locked up...

Comment

[QUOTE=phroziac;1962567]
        Why is the motor not running? Was he wearing a lanyard? QUOTE]
        it might be a lanyard, I am not sure about all rules but I believe a lanyard is part of the rule book.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

[quote=ThAzKat;1962568]
          Originally posted by phroziac View Post
          Why is the motor not running? Was he wearing a lanyard? QUOTE]
          it might be a lanyard, I am not sure about all rules but I believe a lanyard is part of the rule book.
          Well, i was just thinking, maybe the transmission failed and made him go down and stalled the engine at the same time...but if he has a lanyard..yeah..

But it just seems odd, how first of all the shifter wasnt shifting, and then theres a clunk and the bike drops to the ground.

By the way, how did he attach his camera to his bike? I'd love to attach mine to my bike!

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
          The sticky shifting is odd, but it doesn't seem like anything siezed....it was still running and pulling right up until it was sliding. If it locked, I would have expected it to go silent for 1/10 second before he dumped it. Besides, even if the back wheel siezed, I would have thought he could have slid it for a second or so before dumping it, but this one fell too quick.

The only thing I can think of that would make a bike go down so fast, is a front wheel problem. How about a flat front tire? A blow out at the front at 150 mph would sure ruin your day. It's hard to tell at the end of the video, but that front tire looks a little skinner at the bottom, than it does at the top.
          to be honest the front dipped a little at the first half-second of 2:33, 1/64 of a second before the bike dropped. So maybe. But you cant judge much based on the bikes condition after it sat there burning for longer than the guy rode it...tires burn.
          Last edited by phroziac; 06-20-2010, 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There was this weird sound like a metal cable snapping. However, I have no idea how a cable failure could cause the nose to dive like that.
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
              There was this weird sound like a metal cable snapping. However, I have no idea how a cable failure could cause the nose to dive like that.
              there was a similar weird sound at 1:21, immediately before the first failed shifts, and very similar to the last sound at 2:33 before he goes down.

Comment

whatever it was it sucks and i hope i don't do that anytime soon

Comment

hell man i just had the same thing happen to me on roller skates. I cant figure out what happened. I was going about 10mph and not making any steps or anything, and.. my front right left wheel lock and bam, i went down....

i think i hit a crack in the floor...

Comment

We may never know what went wrong...... the list is endless. I was thinking he may have snapped his chain and it got bound up in the rear.....but I watched the video again...and the chain is still on. What we DO know is that because he was geared up....he walked away. Mind you, after the adrenalin wears off, he's going to be one sore puppy.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Looks like the trans popped out of gear which would cause the front end to become overloaded and boom. Friend of mine had the same thing happen on his Mille.

Now that said, WTF is up with the corner workers. All the times I have flagged, every station had at least one 20lb fire extinguisher, yet the only one that comes to make an effort to put the fire out is out there with a little freaking kitchen extinguisher... I mean seriously, the one bolted to the floor in my racecar was bigger than that, and it was there to keep tech happy. If my car catches fire, I'm out, I'm not going to try to put it out, Nomex just doesn't hold up that well.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

No lanyards are required for track days.

Sounds and looks like total mechanical failure which resulted in a totalled bike.
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Ouch!
                          1998 Suzuki Katana 750, GSX750F, black, 13,2XX miles, stage-I jet kit, NGK IX iridium spark plugs, ...
                          1969-1/2 Dodge Super Bee, A12, 440 Six Pack, 4-speed, Dana 60 rear axle, Butterscotch w/black stripe, black interior
                          1974 Plymouth 'Gold' Duster, 225 slant six, automatic, hood scoop, rear spoiler, aluminum wheels ... performance looks set up for daily driving

Comment

I locked up my motor goin by throwing a rod going about 60, which locked up the rear wheels. Lucky I was on a fourwheeler and not the kat.
                            1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

Isn't that a trail of oil on fire after the bike stops spinning? Threw a rod? Oil on the rear tire and then down you go?

Comment

prolly gas not oil it burned off really fast.
                                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                                Tony
                                94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X