Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone looking to do a trackday, but need help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seabass10369 View Post
    Who's going to canada
    err.... you... should...?
    i'm starting racing this year =)
    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

What type of racing?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seabass10369 View Post
        What type of racing?

CMRA (<--- clicky) - most certainly starting off in novice, on my CBR
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

Nice, sounds like it will be a blast!
          sigpic

Comment

Sooooo ... what about all those novice type questions? I actually think that within a couple weeks, the only safety equipment I won't have is the back brace. I've got a one piece leather race suit. It's Frank Thomas, so it's not great, but it's not that bad either. Also have Dainese leather jacket, with the pants that zip on. I think it's considered a 360 degree zipper. Just ordered full boots after trying them on.

Anyway, as for now, I'd really only be interested in doing a beginner's trackday. I believe my insurance said my bike would be covered as long as it was considered a "school", not racing. I don't think I'd be apt to push that hard anyway.

So, what exactly would I have to do to prep the bike?

Also, I'm not that far away, up in Allentown. I know there's the Pocono track, but are any of them in NJ not too far away a better track to go to for the first time?

Forgot to mention, the bike I'd be using is an 06 Kat 600. Not many mods, mostly just the suspension, but I do have one of the oil valves. Don't know if that would change anything.
            Last edited by ygolohcysp; 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM. Reason: I'm tired.

Comment

Checkout www.sportbiketracktime.com and/or www.trackdaymag.com for all of the information you could ever want to know on bike prep, schedules and required riding gear. STT has the best novice program of any trackday provider. Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                Sooooo ... what about all those novice type questions? I actually think that within a couple weeks, the only safety equipment I won't have is the back brace. I've got a one piece leather race suit. It's Frank Thomas, so it's not great, but it's not that bad either. Also have Dainese leather jacket, with the pants that zip on. I think it's considered a 360 degree zipper. Just ordered full boots after trying them on.

Anyway, as for now, I'd really only be interested in doing a beginner's trackday. I believe my insurance said my bike would be covered as long as it was considered a "school", not racing. I don't think I'd be apt to push that hard anyway.

So, what exactly would I have to do to prep the bike?

Also, I'm not that far away, up in Allentown. I know there's the Pocono track, but are any of them in NJ not too far away a better track to go to for the first time?

Forgot to mention, the bike I'd be using is an 06 Kat 600. Not many mods, mostly just the suspension, but I do have one of the oil valves. Don't know if that would change anything.
                Not all track orgs require the back protector, that will depend on who you go with. My thoughts though are to have one, it's worth it. I think, think being the key word, that only TPM will require a back protector for novice group.

I like STT or sport bike track time for first timers too. They run a great novice program with some classroom and structured learning on track. Membership is less than others too, so it's not as big of a commitment.

What company is your insurance with? If it's progressive, it won't be covered.

The track in NJ is in Millvile, NJ zip 08332. Google map it for distance from allentown, I don't know it off the top of my head.

The pocono track is well a hot topic sometimes, a lot of guys complain it's too bumpy or not the safest, and the run off area sucks, and some guys love it. I personally get my fill at other tracks and just stay away from it.

For bike prep for your first time all you really need to do is remove mirrors, tape lights and preferably unhook the headlight and tail light. You don't need to unhook turns since they wont actually be on. Kat's don't have coolant to worry about. Just make sure your bike is in tip top mechanical shape, nothing loose, good brakes and tires. For suspension, wouldn't worry too much at first, post up which date you pick for your first time and if I'm there I'll set it as best as i can with what you have done to it.

Then go ride!
                sigpic

Comment

you guys don't have to safety wire your bolts?
                  # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

Most tracks depend on the level.

Many allow "beginners" to run on street bikes with the mirrors off, and the lights taped/disabled.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Most tracks depend on the level.

Many allow "beginners" to run on street bikes with the mirrors off, and the lights taped/disabled.

Yep most orgs on the east coast only require wiring for advanced class. Although I prefer to wire, I'm pretty much to WERA spec.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, I've got a pretty busy several weeks, but I'm really interested in doing this. If I can afford to do so this summer, I will. I think I have to move as well though, so it may kill the budget. Landlord is going to sell. I will do my research online with the sites, and let you know if/when I decide to go. As far as the suspension, I've actually done a fair bit to it, and I'm getting it pretty dialed in, but that's for street setup. I'm mostly interested in going because I'm getting better and better at taking corners at speed. It's just that to progress any further, I'd have to be doing too fast to be anywhere near safe on the street. Not to mention, I like having my license. I know other riders go faster than me on the street. I know I'm not anywhere close to being the fastest. I'd be slow in comparison. But I'd like to have the chance to learn and grow in a proper environment for it, without having to worry about cross traffic and driveways. I think it would be fun and educational. Thank you for the input!

Comment

Yeah, just let me know. I'm waiting to try out the repave at summit point this weekend before I schedule the rest of my days. There will be pleny more I go to though.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X