No announcement yet.
X

Wear your gear!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what was put out to us last week. Its a decent general guide.

Heat Stress Training

Healthy Body Temperature is maintained by the nervous system. As the body temperature increases, the body tries to maintain its normal temperature by transferring heat. Sweating and blood flow to the skin helps to keep our bodies cool by evaporation of sweat off the skin. Heat related illness occurs when our bodies can no longer transfer enough heat to keep cool.
    Heat Related Illnesses
    Heat Rash (Prickly Heat) - sweat ducts in the skin become blocked or swells causing discomfort and itching. Heat Cramps- occur in muscles usually after strenuous exercise because sweating causes the loss of water, salt and minerals (electrolytes). Heat Edema (swelling) generally occurs in hands or legs after sitting or standing in a hot environment. Heat Tetany (hyperventilation or Heat Stress). Heat Syncopy (fainting) occurs from low blood pressure when heat causes blood vessels to expand.
    Heatstroke (sunstroke) occurs when the body fails to regulate its own temperature and internal temperature continues to rise, often to 105 degrees or higher. HEATSTROKE IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. EVEN WITH IMMEDIATE TREATMENT, IT CAN BE LIFE THREATENING OR CAUSE SERIOUS LONG TERM PROBLEMS.
    Signs of Heat Stroke include; High body temperature, absence of sweating with red or flushed dry skin, rapid pulse, difficulty breathing, strange behavior, hallucinations, confusion, agitation, disorientation, seizures and possibly coma.

Treatment

Victims of Heat Stroke must receive immediate treatment to avoid permanent organ damage. FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT COOL THE VICTIM!!! Get the victim to a shady area, remove clothing, apply cool water to the skin, and fan the victim to promote sweating and evaporation. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION and TREAT FOR SHOCK by laying victim down and elevating the feet. Also monitor breathing and heart rate.
    Signs of Dehydration-The signs of dehydration include: Increased thirst, dry mouth, darkening of the urine and/or decrease in urination. If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated, don’t wait until you feel thirsty. Also dehydration can take place over several days. The combination of physical exertion, diet and fatigue can dehydrate the body over time.

Heat Index

The temperature the body feels when heat and humidity are combined.
    Examples: 80f degrees + 80% humidity = 84f heat index (what it feels like to your body)
    108f and 45% hum. = 136f heat index
    132f and 20% hum. = 155f heat index
    Remember humidity plays a large roll in your body’s ability to cool itself. Lower temperature combined with high humidity can be just as dangerous and extreme temperatures.

Preparing for Activities During High Heat and/or Humidity

DRINK WATER, LOTS OF WATER!!! Avoid foods and drinks that flush the body’s natural fluids. Examples; alcohol, caffeine (coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc), cranberry juice, green tea, oats, carrots, tomatoes, and foods high in protein (eggs, bacon, steak, etc.) Alternating water and sports drinks is recommended during extremely harsh times, the ratio should not exceed 2 to 1 (40 ounces of water to 20 ounces of Gatorade)
    "The Strongest Steel Must Be Forged In The Hottest Fires"

Comment

Excellent information! Thank you for sharing!

Rule of thumb for minimum hydration. Take your weight, cut it in half. That is the minimum number of ounces of water you should be drinking per day. So, a 200 pound person should drink at least 100oz of water a day, more in the heat, exercising, sweating, and riding...
      It may sound like a lot, but it really isn't if you break it up throughout the day.

Comment

If the choice is hot or wheelchair, I'll pick hot.
        WEAR THAT GEAR!
        sigpic

"Computer users who do not back up their data deserve to lose it, period." - William H. Gates III

Comment

Get yourself a Camelbak. With it no need to stop as you can drink from the tube thru out the ride until it's empty.
          sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

True story..A nurse in our Main OR
            who see's what happens when you don't wear gear. Is out for a couple of weeks due to....wearing shorts and flip-flops.
            Got Ta love it

Comment

Let my girlfriend ride on the bike and gave her my helmet (she refuses to buy one). Ill never ride without a helmet agian.

Comment

Wear your gear - and that includes long pants

I did this once before, and I did it again last week. It was hot and thought I would take a quick ride from the shop that was servicing my bike back to my house - an 8 minute ride. I wore a helmet, t-shirt, and cargo shorts.

I was momentarily distracted just a second before even getting on the bike, and ouchh!, hit my right calf on the hot muffler pipe.

Bottom line - wear long pants on that bike. It looks COOL not too, but boy was that pipe HOT. Got a nice red crescent strawberry to show for it, when I wear my cargo shorts heh heh.

Comment

I've gone in full gear but shorts a few times, nothing more then a 5 min ride, except 1 time. Didn't like it at all, ATGATT.

FWIW, the first sign of a heat emergency is when you start to sweat. Drink, drink, drink. A good rule of thumb is if you feel like you have to pee your good, if not have water. Water is good as long as you are also eating during the day, if not mix in Gatoraid or another non-carbinated sports drink. Stay away from fruit juices, coffee, beer and soda.

Stay safe, I also hate to clean up the messes good people leave behind. At least in the ER all the hard work is done by the time the pt gets there, I get them on the street.
                  Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Please always wear your gear.

I'm a career Firefighter/Medic. Counting my days as a volunteer and as career I've been doing this for 12 years. I can honestly tell you two things. First, in the majority of bike accidents I've worked the operator did something STUPID!.....showing off....too fast....even drunk...PLEASE use your head. Second, I hardly see anyone wearing gear. I can't tell you how many times I've had to patch people up and put them on the helicopter with tons of road rash and broken bones. I do remember one incident though. Called to the scene of a single M/C MVA. Rolling up we see this bike that skidded and flipped across the intersection severely mangled. I thought, "This is going to be bad." The rider was sitting on the side of the road in full gear, leather jacket, pants, gloves, boots and a full face helmet. He didn't know the road and didn't expect to see the stop sign. Long story short the only thing he bruised laying it down @40 mph was his pride. You won't catch me in the back of the unit without gloves, on a fire scene without my SCOTT Pack and turnout gear or on my bike without my leather, boots and full face. PLEASE PLEASE do the same when you ride. When we meet I'd like to be able to shake hands standing up.
                    Last edited by kahunah; 06-23-2008, 01:03 PM.
                    I'm not a real Doctor.......but........I do play one in the back of an Ambulance

(<<< my BEST half!!)

Comment

I have lived in the Southwest all of my life. My small town registered the highest temps in the nation four or five times in the last nine days. I don't ride if it's over 100. When I do road trip across the Southwest, I generally do my riding in the late evening and at night. That means I find shade in the afternoons, and that includes going swimming and doing other things that I wouldn't take time to do were I in my cage/car/carp. I wear a helmet 99% of the time (always on the highways) and my leathers about 90% of the time. If not in leathers, I usually wear a First Gear mesh jacket with armor. I know, I need to make the 99% and 90% read 100%, and threads like these will encourage me to do so. I went off my Kat at 65 mph on the Interstate in October (guy ahead of me came to a complete stop...?) and was back on the same bike two weeks later. I'm not certain I have a whole lot of luck in my account right now, but certainly don't need to overdraw. Thank you for sharing. Be groovy.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
                        Personally I wet down my t-shirt under my riding jacket and my hair. Makes for a pretty darn comfertable ride, and works for about 30min-1hr at a time depending on saturation. If you're going to be riding for long distances through high heat areas make sure you've got a water pack (camel backs are great) and another refillable water container for something to re hydrate your t-shirt and whatnot.

Riding to work or home from work often time soaking my head pretty good does all the job I need... and yah I wont say that I'm 100% comfortable, but I'm at no risk of heat related illness.
                        Yeah we're having 100 degree plus days here in Austin, TX so I've seen many more squids out there not wearing any gear at all. We've also seen the motorcycle fatalities increasing as well & most of them due to poor riding plus no gear! It's a shame!

Comment

I have been riding back and forth between San Diego and Phoenix in around 110 degree heat on a regular basis. I wear my jacket with an evaporative cooling vest under it and one of those bandana things with the beads in it and drink a bottle of water every stop and it works out fine. The vest and neck cooler are a life saver when riding in the heat.

Comment

Late coming to the thread but FWIW, some observations from my experience (19 years riding, 20 years working behind airplanes with engines running, grew up in the South):
                            1. Overheating is what we all hear about and the advice is drink water, drink water and then drink some more. The worst heat-related injury I've ever seen though was from an electrolyte imbalance. The guy had been working in 140+ temps and had been tanking water like nobody's business. The problem was he washed out all the electrolytes in his body. Don't forget to throw some gatorade or whatever in the mix.

2. Mesh jackets really are the best thing since peanut butter! With a cotton shirt underneath to hold your sweat where it'll do you some good, the mesh actually shades you while still allowing all kinds of airflow. There's a reason why desert people wear those long robes. It's portable shade! My skin is actually cooler under the mesh than when it's exposed.

3. Evaporative vests work. They help keep your core temp down so you stay more comfortable but they're meant for when you've got to wear all sorts of things strapped to your torso and can't get any airflow there. I'm not sure if they'd help a motorcyclist. Airflow usually isn't that much of a problem at speed. Nice for hiking, probably wasted money for motorcycling.

4. A wet rag around the back of the neck cools the blood going to your brain. Overheated brain cells are a bad thing.

Just my .02
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

One other thing to think about, and i am going to speak from a military observation. normally in the heat not wearing gear or some type of "outer garment" actually can lead to a heat injury sooner than wearing the gear. Your body sweats and it evaporates very quickly when skin is exposed, wearing something on the outside that keeps the sweat in, is normally not as "comfortable" in the heat, but you do not get dehydrated as quickly because the sweat has a chance to work. I have seen more heat injuries (in 120+ temps) because of being in a t-shirt than wearing helmet, body armor, long sleeved shirt etc. The trapped sweat does help to cool your body more than you know. The other thing is if you know you are going to be in the heat, prepare yourself ahead of time, drinking water on the road is a good thing, but drinking plenty of water BEFORE you go, and eating well is more important. Your body needs to be completely hydrated before you go, and the food will provide the proper electrolytes to actually be able to use the water you are drinking properly.

There is my $.02
                              Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Beach

Well, I'm guilty too. I ride to the beach (6 miles) in shorts and t-shirt about once a week. Got rained on and blown around a bit today when a summer storm came up, made me wish I had my jacket... Guy I know laid his bike down at 40 mph last week, wearing shorts and t-shirt. Got road rash on both arms and one leg but otherwise ok, lucky him. Shorts and t-shirt are the norm down here. Lot's of bikes on the road down here close to the beach and I can't remember the last time I saw a rider in full gear, but I'll try to wear mine more.

Comment

Working...
                                X