Switch gear restoration?.............

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch gear restoration?.............

Alright...91 Kat 600.

Looking at odds and ends I'd like to get / do when I get ready to tear it apart to paint it this Winter.

One of things I've noticed about my Kat is the "handle bar controls"...or the headlight / horn / choke assembly on the left clip on and the start / kill / throttle tube assembly on the other side.. they are noticeable faded. Black plastic housing as well as the lettering (white).

Has anyone had success 'restoring' these at least cosmetically? The plastic is just a bit weathered. How would I go about painting the raised lettering and the plastic? The reason I ask, if there is an easy way to do this...because I'm looking at used replacements on Ebay at a pretty decent price ($28 ish shipped for both) . Has anyone gone thru this?

One other question while I mention it...

Since I replaced my throttle cable, the housing / tube / switch assembly will actually move / rotate on the bar if you try to move it. I've tightened the screws about as much I'm comfortable with, shy of stripping the heads.

Any ideas here?

EDIT: What about 98-up controls? Compatible? Just checked new left assembly is $67 and right is about the same.

Thanks again guys

Chris
    Last edited by ctandc; 10-25-2007, 08:54 PM.

It sounds like you might have broken off the pin that holds it into the bar. I think you can wire up 98+ controls to the pre 98... but the hole for the pin is different.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

About the rotating controls.. Steves hit it right on!

Your "pods" are all dried out. That's why they broke and why they look like poo..
      My suggestion is to buy newer Suzuki items off eBay. You have to rewire the plug end (the wires from the pod lead to a plug where it connects to the wiring harness) but it doesn't take long and the result is almost new controls. I replaced mine for under $20 for the pair. The left is Hayabusa, the right is GSX-R 1000..

Comment

Did you use the throttle tube from the GSXR as well?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

I think you can, as long as the ID of the tube is the same....
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            I think you can, as long as the ID of the tube is the same....
            Almost all mc bar tubes are 7/8 inch, the major exceptions being Harleys and their imitators, which may have 1-inch bars.
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
              Did you use the throttle tube from the GSXR as well?

Thanks

Chris
              Yes I did, I only use one of the two available cable latches.
              It seemed easier than getting the Kat one to fit.
              I'm 99% sure any newer model Suzuki part will fit. One thing to watch for is the choke. FI bikes will not have the lever.

Comment

Working...
              X