X

Guarding Against The "Silent Killer."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarding Against The "Silent Killer."

I often have posted about how I wear ear plugs, and one fellow katrider asked me for the link to the article I referenced that said noise was damaging at about 30MPH. Well, here it is. Lots of other good info, too, and altho I usually don't care for commercial links, this one had some that got me thinking about alternatives to the squish-in ear plugs I currently use.

http://tinyurl. com/8h2lo
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

good info thanks i will wear plugs now
    wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

Yup, I always use plugs. Home Depot sells a giant pack I bought with dozens of em.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I have a couple sets of the reusable ear plugs on a string. I hate riding without them.

Comment

I've suffered temporary hearing loss once and that was when I was wearing ear plugs. I never ride without them.
          "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I've learned that not wearing plugs gives me a massive headache. That alone is enough to keep me wearing them. My gf thinks I'm wierd and won't wear them when we ride. It makes it hard to hear her sometimes, but until I get an intercom, she can just yell at me.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

I don't know if i'm just wierd or what, but I have no problems without earplugs. Actually, I think it would mess me up to have them in. I've worn plugs alot working around jets, and I don't think I could function as well riding with them in. Seems like it would affect my balance and a lot of other things. Maybe I am wierd, though.

Comment

i wear them when riding a two stroke dirt bike, but on a stock exhaust katana?

maybe will try though my hearing is fooked anyways
                2002 Suzuki Katana 600
                1980 Husqvarna cr390
                1978 Kawasaki kz400

Comment

Originally posted by Refresh

Yes, yes, yes. Wind noise exceeds exhaust noise at a low 35mph.
                  "Stevie B" Boudreaux

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

SB's right - it's not the exhaust, it's the wind noise.

Constant, low frequency noise over time can really affect hearing.

BTW check around - custom molded earplugs can go for under $50 - very comfortable, and work a lot better than the foam style.

Comment

are you using a full helmet? and do you have stock exhaust?
                      91 Katana 600. Flat Black, Solo Cowl, Currently for sale.

99 CBR 600 F4. Red/Black.

Comment

The noise from my new exhaust is pretty bad at around 4000rpm ( 30 - 40mph...ish ) which made me contemplate wearing ear plugs on town journeys. But I'm concerned about taking away one of my senses especially around town and rush hour traffic.

I could always put the exhaust baffle back in ( but that's not the point ! ) as my Shoei helmet has almost silent wind noise at any speed!

Comment

I guess that it all boils down to the type of helmet your wearing. I have 2 different KBC's, and the Force RR has better ventalation than the TK-8 Excaliber, yet is much more noiser. I wear the Hearos 33 db plugs and it cuts the wind noise by at least more than half, and has a nifty litte storage tube that fits in your pocket when done. Before I started wearing them, I would get ringing in the ears just after 40 miles at speed. After you start wearing them, it's a little odd at first, but once your use to them, you won't leave home without them. Also, you can really start to "feel" how your bike is running with all the excess noise cut out. My 05 Kat now sounds and feels more like a supercharged sewing machine.....and you won't be shouting "WHAT??" when your 50.
                          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by Refresh

did you read the article??
                            Cuz you know...that i know...that you don't know that i know...what you know. Ah...I'm a Fu*king psychic! I could read your mind, and you wouldn't really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by dar
                              \my Shoei helmet has almost silent wind noise at any speed!
                              I was once on a quest for the quietest helmet, and tried quite a few Shoei's, models that were recommended as being particularly quiet. In spite of the price (astronomical!) I found that the article was right- ANY helmet is quite noisy above 35 mph.

'Course, if I spent that kind of money on a lid, my subconcenious would probably kick in and find some reason for me to justify the expense, too...
                              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

Working...
                              X