No announcement yet.
X

helmet opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found my RF-1000 for $280 online a couple of years ago. Good prices are out there, especially on last year's model.

One thing nobody's mentioned (since the last helmet thread) is to go to your nearest bike shop and start trying on helmets. I would have bought an HJC but I couldn't find a one that didn't give me a hot-spot on the forehead. An hour or two of that and I would have had a screaming headache. Icons, Fulmers and Nolans don't quite fit me right, either. Turns out I've got a Shoei shaped head. Figure out what fits you and in what size. Then go looking for the model/price/features you want.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

always a good tip to try on helmets at a local shop. cant agree more, I saved alot of hassle a few times by doing just that.

as for shopping around, I'm hoping to stick to deals on bikebandit due to only receiving store credit and not a cash refnd for their mistake. now if I happen to need a hundred something dollars in parts before buyin a helmet, I would rather do that and be able to shop around more, but as far as I know I have just about all the parts I need for my build...
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
        appreciate the input, I know I havent said it in this thread, but I said it in a few other threads pertaining to helmets.
        I refuse to put my trust in a helmet that costs less than my gloves. especially no name brands.
        also I'm not looking for a good deal for the money helmet at the moment, I have a good Vega lid that fills that requirement. Im looking for exceptional quality from a new helmet. and I'm willing to spend 3 to 400 dollars for that quality lid.

I do thankyou for the input, however its not what I'm looking for
        I am a stock trader, I purchase stocks that are cheap and sell them when they increase in value. I don't care if the stock is a no name company as long as it is a good value.

I don't see the value in paying $400 for a helmet if I can find one that protects me equally for less money, this is just my nature. I am sure that I will get plenty of replies that say this is not possible, there are no $70 helmets that will protect me as well as a Shoei, but it is possible.

Hyundai and Kia had plenty of nay sayers when they came into the American car market also, plenty of people said they were junk and would never make it, including American car manufacturers. Well, who filed for bankruptcy while Hyundai and Kia took over the US car market?

Good luck with your helmet purchase, I'm going to look for some cheaper gloves now.
        "Emini's are the future"

Comment

sorry we do not see eye to eye, but I refuse to trust my life in a crash to a helmet Ive never heard of. and too be honest its ugly as sin lol. Im not desperate to get a helmet, I already have one. Im talking about upgrading, and I cant consider a 70 dollar fleebay special an upgrade.
          I tried to graciously decline before and gave my reasons why, I have nothing against trying to save money, however I will still splurge a bit when it comes to my safety, if this upsets you then I appologize, but I said from the start I was looking in the 3 to 400 dollar range.

when did hyundai and kia take over the car market?? only know 2 people that have owned a kia an 1 of em literally fell apart in less than 2 years. and dont know anone who ones a hyundai. dont see how any of that matters. comparing no name helmets to car companys that have very big names over seas in places like south korea.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

usually Im partial to solid colors, however the shoei seilon has a great look and matches the scheme of the rest of my gear.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisInTexas View Post
              ...I am sure that I will get plenty of replies that say this is not possible, there are no $70 helmets that will protect me as well as a Shoei, but it is possible.
              No, what you're most likely to find here are informed folks who've seen the data and know that there isn't any difference in protection between the $70 helmet and the premium one. The difference is in comfort and features.

...Hyundai and Kia had plenty of nay sayers when they came into the American car market also, plenty of people said they were junk and would never make it, including American car manufacturers. Well, who filed for bankruptcy while Hyundai and Kia took over the US car market.
              That's not a good example at all. Hyundai and Kia sell a lot of cars because the expectations are different. They're cheap and they deserve to be. The US big three have a much better reputation (and deserve it) but their cars cost more. Same for most of the other brands. Hyundai and Kia are at the bottom of the barrel, quality-wise. They're just doing a good job providing an inexpensive product that gets the job done. I'll buy tools from Harbor Freight all day long but every time I do I have to do the mental calculation between the price and the fact that the HF tool will take more effort to use and won't last very long.

...I refuse to trust my life in a crash to a helmet Ive never heard of...
              It's a choice of course (and remember, I chose a Shoei, too) but you can rest easy. The tests show very clearly that the protection offered by a cheap helmet is just as good as that from a premium one. The difference is in comfort and features.
              ... if this upsets you then I appologize, but I said from the start I was looking in the 3 to 400 dollar range...
              Relax, man. Nobody's getting upset here, we're all just expressing our opinions.

That Seilon is a good looking helmet.
              Last edited by Wild-Bill; 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

i wish i knew the facts but in the back of mind,i feel the module helmet might have caused cybers death.

Comment

I am a stock trader, I purchase stocks that are cheap and sell them when they increase in value. I don't care if the stock is a no name company as long as it is a good value.

I don't see the value in paying $400 for a helmet if I can find one that protects me equally for less money, this is just my nature. I am sure that I will get plenty of replies that say this is not possible, there are no $70 helmets that will protect me as well as a Shoei, but it is possible.

Hyundai and Kia had plenty of nay sayers when they came into the American car market also, plenty of people said they were junk and would never make it, including American car manufacturers. Well, who filed for bankruptcy while Hyundai and Kia took over the US car market?

Good luck with your helmet purchase, I'm going to look for some cheaper gloves now.
                  The difference is the styles , features and comfort from the more costly helmets.
                  kinda like buyin a pair of Nike or RBK shoes or a $30 shoe from walmart. Sure thay do the same thing but most people prefer the comfortable quality shoes.
                  With the shoei, Aria and other high end helmets the fit and quality is amazing.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    ...kinda like buyin a pair of Nike or RBK shoes or a $30 shoe from walmart...
                    Not quite the same thing. The cheap shoes at WalMart don't give you any arch support or stability for pronation. Ask your friendly, neighborhood podiatrist. My wife ended up with some major foot and knee problems from wearing cheap shoes for years and one of the first things the doc did was yell at her about getting some good shoes. (The next thing he did was stick a needle in the bottom of her foot... A whole bunch of times!) Last year I developed some foot problems from running too much on old, worn out shoes. The point the podiatrist made (just before sticking a needle in the bottom of my foot a whole bunch of times) was that after running in those shoes so much, the padding and arch support were worn down to the point that I might as well have been wearing cheapies from WalMart.

Point is, you've got to be an informed buyer. Some things are worth paying extra for, some things aren't. With helmets the extra money is for comfort. That's optional. If you can afford it then great but someone on a tight budget should know that they can be protected just as well with an inexpensive helmet and upgrade for more comfort when they can afford it.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I totally agree you can be protected by an inexpensive helmet. but if I werent looking to upgrade and just needing a new helmet there are better models by reputable companies for around the same price as that no name fleebay special. I even saw HJC on sale for 50 something dollars.
                      but you will get what you pay for, which is why Im willing to pay more.
                      and with my saying about not buying a helmet thats cheapers than my gloves. it was mainly referring to things like the fleebay special mentioned earlier and other low quality lids that Ive never heard of.
                      Last edited by cintidude04; 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

MOTORHELMET.COM have new HJC lids left over for $60-80 ...they were great back a few years ago i have one and like the fit still use it on the older bikes ... close outs are your friend ......

Comment

yea I like close out prices too but Im looking to get a higher quality upgrade, rather than an equally priced second helmet comparable to what I already own.
                          and tryin to stick to bike bandits seletion at the moment due to them only giving me an instore credit instead of a refund.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Lol, keep your trash helmets, I'll spend more money on a good one anyday.

You can say a Hyundai and BMW are the same quality, but you pay for features and comfort, not a crash test rating.

ANY DOT OR SNELL HELMET WILL PROTECT THE SAME! Are you retarded or just can't read?

Cinti: We're all on the same page here. Good choice
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

[QUOTE=scottynoface;2028304...ANY DOT OR SNELL HELMET WILL PROTECT THE SAME! Are you retarded or just can't read?...[/QUOTE]

A little unclear on what you're thinking, Scotty. Are you saying that rated helmets do or don't protect the same.

A little light reading:
                              Motorcyclist, America’s First motorcycle magazine, publishes new and used motorcycle reviews, bike news, and riding tips for riders that love to ride motorcycles!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

In order to pass dot inspection they must all provide the same safety tests, so yes and dot helmet will protect you the same. Ant snell helmet will protect the same.
                                If it’s a DOT approved helmet, no matter if it was $50 or $1000 it has to pass the same tests. Snell testing is a higher standard testing under more extreme pressures, and different impact areas etc.

The difference between a $100 helmet and a $400 if the fit and comfort. Better materials are used in the liners, more complex cooling systems, proper molded foam for individual sizes, for more comfortable fit.
                                With a cheap helmet, you get 1 or two shell sizes, and simply different thickness padding for different head sizes. With this design an XL helmet would be much cooler than a Med or small because the liner thickness is so different.
                                With higher end helmets each helmet is individually designed and molded for that specific size. That why a $400+ shoei fits like a friggin dream is cooler/better air flow and is lighter. Also the hardware is usually better quality and the optics are much better. It was extremely rare to have a customer of a higher end helmet come in looking for replacement components. If they did they are always available. With lower end models… its kinda hit and miss if parts are even available.

I have never heard of someone that owned a shoie, aria or other high quality lid and was happier with a basic entry level helmet.
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                                X