X

Rebuilt Carbs, Bike Won't Start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverKat1000 View Post
    You may be way lean if bike just dies if you open throttle.

If it gets worse backing out, turn it back in. If your highest idle is with screw all the way in, your float level is too high.
    Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    I'd sync before anything. Use the idle screw to up the rpm, sync them.. adjust the idle screw, probably have to do that a few times as the process... Then once sycned check the throttle response. If there is a problem, then we look at other issues.

Sync will definitely cause throttle issues off idle.

Krey
    Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it! Those things make sense. I tried some things out today:

Pulled the carbs and set the A/F screws 2.75 turns out. (Up to this point they were at 2.5). After this change, it idled better and would allow me to increase the idle without dying. Still died with throttle.

Pulled them again and set the screws to 3 turns out. The bike liked this. It idled better and actually responded to throttle - it would stumble at first when throttle was applied, and then would rev up pretty decently. I later realized I forgot to reconnect the top hose (breather?) on top of the airbox for this run - whoops. Sounds like my next job is to finish my sync tool and properly sync them (have to get a fan so I can run it a while).

However, a new problem I am concerned about. My throttle is really "molasses-ey". The butterflies do not snap closed, they slowly return closed. They always snapped closed with authority, even after sitting for 2 years, until I dipped them in Berryman's for 12-24 hours. A week or so after this, without the throttle cable attached, I noticed they were difficult to move and moved sluggishly. After playing with it a bit they move a little more easily, but get sluggish after a day or so, and they continue to be sluggish. Tried spraying silicone lubricant in the springs and pivot areas; doesn't really help. I really hope I didn't mess something up by dipping them; supposedly it is common to dip them with the butterflies and springs still on? (It is definitely not the cable, does this with or without the cable attached.) I'm afraid these parts might be expensive.

Any thoughts? Every search result is cable-related. Thanks so much for the help so far guys.
    Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 09-22-2017, 01:04 AM.

Comment

whats the throttle feel like if you remove the throttle cable from the carbs is it 'sticky'. my old 92 cable is really loose as in loose inside the cable sheath. however i did run some 3-in-1 down it

Comment

Oil the shaft at the body..
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X