Fork Oil-Soaked Caliper. What to Do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Oil-Soaked Caliper. What to Do?

Hey folks,

So I bought my bike quite awhile back ('93 600) with a leaking left fork seal; the left front caliper is soaked in fork oil and is a darker color than the right.

I plan to change all brake pads for safety before riding the bike, but I am wondering how the fork oil could have affected brake components other than the pads. Is my whole caliper simply well-lubricated now, or is there any concern with the interaction of the oil and other parts? Is it necessary to rip it apart and rebuild (ugh)?

Thanks!

Fix the oil issue if you haven't already, use a can brake clean to clean off caliper and rotor, then change pads. Make sure rotor, caliper, and new pads are free of oil.
    The caliper should be fine, all the working parts are inside and sealed. But you really need to make sure no oil gets on new pads and rotor or braking will be affected

Comment

Originally posted by rperry03 View Post
      Fix the oil issue if you haven't already, use a can brake clean to clean off caliper and rotor, then change pads. Make sure rotor, caliper, and new pads are free of oil.
      The caliper should be fine, all the working parts are inside and sealed. But you really need to make sure no oil gets on new pads and rotor or braking will be affected
      Got it; easy enough. The fork seals are my task for the next couple days, then brakes.

Thanks very much!

Comment

+1
        If you're already replacing the pads, make sure you clean off the rotors with brake cleaner - be careful as it's not friendly to paint.its also not friendly to brake pads, so maybe worth doing this before swapping in the new pads, after you work on the cause of the fork leak.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          +1
          If you're already replacing the pads, make sure you clean off the rotors with brake cleaner - be careful as it's not friendly to paint.its also not friendly to brake pads, so maybe worth doing this before swapping in the new pads, after you work on the cause of the fork leak.
          Roger that shpielers, thanks!

Comment

1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
            X