LED sizes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED sizes

Hi Guys,

I ordered the illumiglo gauges and I also got some #74 LED's from superbrightleds.com to swap out the stock gauge lights. I took apart the dash tonight and tried to put the LED's in but when I put the LED's in the turn signal indicators etc, they bulged out the base so it wouldn't go back in the dash. Also, the speedo, tach etc lights are a lot bigger than the indicator lights and again, the #74 bulbs don't fit. I've read thru a lot of the threads here and some say just pull the light and replace and others say they had to replace the base too. I couldn't find anyone who mentioned different LED's for the back lighting. I have a 2006 750.
    I know this subject has been brought up before but before I re-order the LED's, has anyone had this trouble with the 2006 750 and exactly what bulbs and/or bases did you get?

Thanks !!

hey 412, I think I can offer some help as I just finished that exact same mod about an hour ago on my 2006 750. I too had seen numerous posts with some mixed information/recommendations and basically took a gamble on my order, hoping it would be right. I lucked out and they all fit, although I followed an errant post saying I needed 6 white leds instead of the correct number of 4, but other than that worked great.

As you know, it takes 9 total LEDs (4 white, 3 green, 1 red, 1 blue), and if you're ordering from Superbrightleds.com you need to order all of them as the T1.5 variety (denoting that it comes with the twist-lock base). I've heard people with similar experiences not being able to fit the 74 bulbs properly into the stock bases. If you get the T1.5 type they fit an '06 perfect. Since you already have the #74 bulbs, maybe they can just sell you the T1.5 bases, don't know. I had to bore out some of the holes just slightly with a large flat head screwdriver, but other than that the T1.5 bases all fit great, snug. They are polarized so you'll have to get them all put in and temporarily plug the dash back in to see which ones you have to take out and rotate 180 degrees (you've got a 50/50 chance on each one). I also got a 194/168 type LED bulb for the third eye and like it too if you're looking to replace that one. As far as the different sizes, the bulbs might have been different sizes, but since I wasn't using the stock bases I didn't pay attention to the bare bulbs. They were different colors, but I don't believe the stock bases were different sizes. If there was a difference it was inconsequential, as the T1.5 fit perfectly in all of them. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by c50sooner; 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Thanks so much c50sooner!!! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll order up a new set from them. Their service is great so I'll have them in a couple of days.

Thanks again!

Comment

Taken from another source:
        Bulbs required for 98+ Kat cluster:

What you need is 4 - #24 for the speedo, tach, clock and fuel gauge illumination. Use # 74 for all other indicator lights. The #74 will fit in the #24 sockets fine but are a bit loose.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Just wanted to drop a note here. I installed the T1.5 LED's and they fit perfectly. Used your screwdriver trick c50sooner on a couple of the holes but other that that, they dropped right in.

Thanks!!

Comment

Glad it worked out 412, enjoy and ride safe!

Comment

Working...
            X