How do I prep my bike for winter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I prep my bike for winter?

Hey everyone,
    its good to see some familiar names here!

Ill be putting the bike in storage soon enough, and thats when the modding begins!
    Anyways, what do you recommend I do to winterize it?
    Should I leave the gas in the tank, or add a fuel stabilizer?
    Both tires off the ground to prevent dry rot/flat spot?
    etc.etc.

Thanks,
    J

Ok , here's a list of stuff that I do if I actually winterize my bike (which I didn't last year ) .
    Find a good place to store it .
    Change oil .
    Full tank with stabil . Let it run for a minute or 2 to get it into the carbs as well .
    Wash bike to get any road salt off of there . That'll make stuff rust pretty quick .
    WD40 some metal parts to help prevent rust .
    Oil in cylinders .
    Plastic bags over exaust and air filters (or airbox snorkel) . Keeps critters from nesting in there and moisture out .
    Pull battery .
    I'm probably missing something , and this is in no particular order . But it SHOULD be done in a specific order . You don't wanna put oil in the cylinders and wash the bike before heating it up for the oil change , for instance .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hey 86,

what type of fuel stabil. do u recommend...and how much of it in a full tank

also, just a drop of oil in each cylinder? I might as wel change the plugs while im at it too.

Thanks dude

Comment

Fulcrums guide to winterizing bikes:

Step 1 - Move to somewhere with a warmer climate

Step 2 - Ignore all further steps

Step 3 - You shouldn't be reading these anymore... the guide is over.

Step 4 - Will you stop reading this dammit!!! (Some people just won't listen)

Step 5 - I'm running out of pointless steps to add

Step 6 - Yep... that's it... all out.

I hope this helps.
        fulcrum (aka David)
        Blue 2004 GSX750F
        Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
        If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

wait im confused...what do i after step 2?

Comment

How about this complete list:

LINK: CyberPoet's "How to Store or Winterize your bike..."
            Contains full instructions from anything from a couple weeks to several years, depending on time frame.

Oh, and feedback on anything I might have missed last year when I put it together is good too

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow CyberPoet. That's even better than my guide. Well done.
              fulcrum (aka David)
              Blue 2004 GSX750F
              Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
              If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

xlnt...

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                  Hey 86,

what type of fuel stabil. do u recommend...and how much of it in a full tank

also, just a drop of oil in each cylinder? I might as wel change the plugs while im at it too.

Thanks dude
                  Well , Stabil say "Stabil" on it , I've never used anything else ! And a good way to do the oil thing I've found is to take a straw (regular old starw , thought bendy straw should work too !) , dip it in some oil , put your finger over the end , put end in cylinder , take finger off of end . Remember doing this with your milk in school ? That seems like just enough oil , and a very un-messy way of getting it in there . And change the plugs in the springtime after you un-winter the bike .

Comment

yup, poets list is great!! God I hate thinking about doing this..I need to move!!!

but I like fulcrums list better

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      dip it in some oil , put your finger over the end , put end in cylinder , take finger off of end . Remember doing this with your milk in school ?

I still do that to my milk...lol

Comment

After you put the oil in , don't forget to put the bike in top gear and spin the rear tire a few times to get the oil all over the cylinders .

Comment

it is better to take the plugs out during the winter, or leave them in ?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                            it is better to take the plugs out during the winter, or leave them in ?
                            Leave them in, but not tightened down all the way. The last thing you want is some four to eight legged creature walking down into your engine for a nice hybernation period...

=-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Gotcha thanks poet!!

Comment

Working...
                              X