Katana of the Month  September 2008  mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets

Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
Kat Floyd
Knee Dragger

I have almost 1000 miles on my conti motion rear and it looks brand new!
Kat Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
GoFastAngelYYZ
Skid Mark

Personally I think you did great with the choice of Mich PR's .. I'm running the 4 for my rear (160/60r17) and have been thru the ringer as far as weather goes and never felt a moment where my confidence wasn't high ..
BT45 front for now, okay tire but corners could be leaned over more on a Mich ..
GoFastAngelYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
Any Cal.
Chicken Strip

No idea if the BT45s are good, but I just bought a set from Bike Bandit. Came to about $235, and Bridgestone has a $50 rebate going. Ended up with stock sizes, was the only tires I could find in those sizes. Want to see what the designers intended... will see if I like it!

*Edit* They are biasply, so heavier than radials, FWIW. Supposed to be set up for touring, and dual compound in rear for increased life. I wasn't really looking for a full sport tire, was looking more for an all-around to include touring and poor roads.

Last edited by Any Cal.; 09-20-2016 at 04:53 PM..
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #14
ZukiFred
Put a stick in it.
Supporting Member

October 05 KOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
No idea if the BT45s are good, but I just bought a set from Bike Bandit. Came to about $235, and Bridgestone has a $50 rebate going. Ended up with stock sizes, was the only tires I could find in those sizes. Want to see what the designers intended... will see if I like it!

*Edit* They are biasply, so heavier than radials, FWIW. Supposed to be set up for touring, and dual compound in rear for increased life. I wasn't really looking for a full sport tire, was looking more for an all-around to include touring and poor roads.
I would not recomend biasply tires to anyone myself.
ZukiFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
ygolohcysp
Track Rider

eBay ID: theovergrowngnome

I've just put BT-45's on my crf150f race bike myself. They are bias-ply tires. That caused me to do a little research on the tires. There is nothing inherently dangerous about bias ply tires .vs radials. The biggest difference is that radials have a different number of plys for the tread area .vs sidewalls because of how they are constructed. That makes them lighter, and the sidewalls are thinner. Because of the profile of todays style of tires with low sidewall profiles, it doesn't really negatively effect the road feel.

Bias ply tires are better for heavier load applications, such as full touring bikes loaded down with luggage and or an extra person. For touring, specifically with bad pavement quality on roads, then having the extra strength of bias ply may very well be better than radial tires.

I can only guess that for a 200 pound supermoto bike, they do so well because the compound doesn't need to get as hot as real race/slicks do (the bike is so light, real race tires never get quite hot enough). Further, with the stiffer sidewalls that are thicker, I can run really low air pressure (16psi) for more grip surface, still have good feeling from the sidewalls, and the extra thickness also helps retain any heat I manage to get into the tires.
ygolohcysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
Any Cal.
Chicken Strip

Some bikes still come w/ bias-ply from the factory. I figure that they are supposed to be better for heavier loads, and are a tougher tire. The tradeoff is potentially a stiffer ride and potentially less performance. The other factor is that they are significantly less expensive.

In my case, it was premium quality OE size bias ply tires vs. off brand, off sized radials. Seemed a no brainer. An additional 30%-40% would get premium quality radials.

I guessed I would get more performance out of BT45s and an R6 shock (incoming ) than spending the same money on radials. Guess I'll know in a few thousand miles!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #17
92xjunker
Neo-Maxoid-Zoomed-Dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Nope, bias ply tires are not performance based tires. Radials hold there shape better than bias ply. Bias ply tires tend to hold a flat spot where the tire sat with a load on it, till warmed up. Giving you a thumpy feel as it rolls. More so when it's cold.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #18
Any Cal.
Chicken Strip

No, just saying that performance is a matter of perspective. I am putting tires on a 25 year old bike made with old technology for all around riding. Without a track to push it on, I don't think a performance difference will necessarily show itself. Also, there is a finite,(at least in my case), amount of money that will be spent on the bike. I expect the cost difference between bias and radials to buy other parts that will make a bigger difference in performance.

And lets be realistic, 1/2 the guys here (including myself) are running hacked up fighters or naked bikes, and trying to decide whether to run dual sport tires. A sport touring is going to be the worst choice they can make?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:12 AM   #19
shpielers
Kat Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
And lets be realistic, 1/2 the guys here (including myself) are running hacked up fighters or naked bikes, and trying to decide whether to run dual sport tires.
He knows us so well

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
92xjunker
Neo-Maxoid-Zoomed-Dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

You get what you pay for.
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > Tire Talk, Chain & Sprockets