X

Got a taste of the Dark Side...2009 Buell 1125CR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a taste of the Dark Side...2009 Buell 1125CR

So I had an opportunity to sample the Dark Side. A buddy of mine just bought a Buell 1125CR about a month ago and he let me ride it. I took it from St Helens, OR to North Portland, about 30 miles on HWY 30 down the Columbia River.

Now I love my Kat 600 to death, but Jesus that Buell has some POWER!!! I never took it past about 7k rpm, but that was enough to show me that this bike deserves respect. I pulled the front in 3rd at about 5k at 60 mph! Try doing that on a Kat. And there was torque absolutely everywhere on the tach. It didn't matter what gear I was in; the thing just FLEW!

And it handled so nice. It weighs over 100 lb less than my 600 and it has Showa suspension from the factory. The thing was so nimble I almost caught myself moving over too many lanes one time. Its so easy to place in corners and it actually has a decent ride for a pure sport bike. The riding position, surprisingly enough actually felt a little more upright than the Kat.

If any of you guys or gals get a chance to ride one of these things, JUMP ON IT! They're fantastic bikes.
    01 Kat 600
    -Modified stock muffler
    -Jetted carbs
    -Custom seat
    -Custom paint

"And I to my motorcycle
    Parked like the soul of the junkyard
    Restored, a bicycle fleshed
    With power, and tore off
    Up Highway 106 continually
    Drunk on the wind in my mouth
    Wringing the handlebar for speed
    Wild to be wreckage forever."

sigpic

They could very well be cheap to have since Buell is now dead. Harley discontinued Eric Buell's vehicles.

I think that engine is Aprilia or Rotax something like that as Aprilia has used Rotax before.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Yeah that's how my buddy got his bike. It was something like $5000 off MSRP. Ridiculous.

As for the engine, I learned that it is an original Buell design. They call it the Helicon.
      01 Kat 600
      -Modified stock muffler
      -Jetted carbs
      -Custom seat
      -Custom paint

"And I to my motorcycle
      With power, and tore off

sigpic

Comment

I would love to test ride one, but I doubt I'd ever consider buying one...

Just wish Buell would get picked up so that he can work on developing his bikes a little more... The Rotax sourced engine was a huge step in the right direction if Buell were to be taken seriously in my eyes... But alas, it seems it was too little too late... Had that engine been in a Buell about 5 or so years ago Buell might have made it...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Shocking the price is $5000...cant go wrong if you put one away for 5-7 years might double but sure wont go down any

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
            Shocking the price is $5000...cant go wrong if you put one away for 5-7 years might double but sure wont go down any
            Its not a ferrari man, its a buell. They depreciate exponentially by the millisecond .... from the second they slap a buell emblem on it.

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by H-2 CHARLIE
              My mistake. It was $5000 off. He paid like $7990 for it.
              Its not a ferrari man, its a buell. They depreciate exponentially by the millisecond .... from the second they slap a buell emblem on it.
              Hahaha touche
              01 Kat 600
              -Modified stock muffler
              -Jetted carbs
              -Custom seat
              -Custom paint

"And I to my motorcycle
              With power, and tore off

sigpic

Comment

I paid $6995 for an 1125R shortly after they announced Buell closing. I only managed about 400 miles before winter set in, but I love it so far. Erik Buell has started a race shop to continiue supporting and developing 1125's, but I am truly disappointed in the decision to close Buell. There were great things on the horizon.

Comment

Yeah it's too bad Buell got shut down. These are really nice bikes and they have their own character. With a little refinement they could have really competed with the larger SS bike players.
                  01 Kat 600
                  -Modified stock muffler
                  -Jetted carbs
                  -Custom seat
                  -Custom paint

"And I to my motorcycle
                  With power, and tore off

sigpic

Comment

When your best at 1125 is as good as the competition's 600s...

Sorry. I think in 5 or 10 years they could have been competitive. But yuck. Gimme an SV1000S RC51 or TLR anyday over a Buell. U-G-L-Y
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

To each their own I guess
                      01 Kat 600
                      -Modified stock muffler
                      -Jetted carbs
                      -Custom seat
                      -Custom paint

"And I to my motorcycle
                      With power, and tore off

sigpic

Comment

Ya, I fail to understand someone on a Katana site (who rides a Kawi no less) calling a bike ugly. Different yes, but try not to fear what you don't understand.

In terms of track or fast street capability, a Buell 1125 is a better bike than an SV1000, RC-51, RSV1000 (seeing as how Eslick beat the crap out of RSV-R's too) or a Tiller.

Of course it was a cheater in Daytona Supersport, it was like racing a 750 against 600's, but that was DMG's screw up, not Buell.

This was Buells very first liquid cooled, injected open classer. I think they did pretty good for a first shot. Things would have only gotten better.

The 1125 is a nearly perfect street bike for my needs. I wanted more than a 600 but I consider 1000cc I-4's too much. Rather than putting yet another Gixxer 750 on the street, I chose a bike with lots more character and individuality.

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog View Post
                          Ya, I fail to understand someone on a Katana site (who rides a Kawi no less) calling a bike ugly.
                          Lol. I don't have to be dating a supermodel to call a woman ugly...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Hey awesomeguy...next time you want to a different "taste" of the "dark side" uhhhhh nm I might get banned lol
                            Last edited by rydethis; 12-13-2009, 02:09 PM. Reason: I'm baaaaad!!!
                            With a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
                            The hip hip a hop a you don't stop the rockin
                            To the bang bang boogie
                            Say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              When your best at 1125 is as good as the competition's 600s...

Sorry. I think in 5 or 10 years they could have been competitive. But yuck. Gimme an SV1000S RC51 or TLR anyday over a Buell. U-G-L-Y
                              The 1125 is domintaning on the track circuit and whooping up on the Gsxr 1ks.
                              Originally posted by arsenic
                              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X