No announcement yet.
X

Fit a 5.5" GSXR Wheel without welding!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i cant see a 190 fitting period, i would think a shop would say something about putting that tire on a 4.5 rim (a dealership wouldnt mount it due to liability, but not all shops are the same.)

why doesnt everyone take the guess work out and just mount the 89-92 750/1100 gsxr swing arm. im in the middle of doing it on my pre 750 on top of turbocharging it (blow-thru) all you need to do is change out the interrace of the pivot tube bearings to a i.d. of the kat pivot bolt, and add a spacer on each side being the pivot tube on the gsxr swing arm in a little more narrower than the kat.....any machine shop or someone handy with a lathe can accomplish this in less than a few hours.....and on top of it, you'll be able to use lowering link off a gsxr without having to get a spacer kit. and you can polish the swing arm.....all the parts are readily available. the gsxr swing arm is actually shorter than the kat 600, and will help in handling.

-rear rim 5.5
    -cush drive
    -cush spacer
    -brake arm
    -caliper mount
    -caliper mount spacer
    -rear axle and adjusters
    -caliper
    -swing arm

list looks long but chances are, some of these parts will come with one another

Comment

Originally posted by skullkrazee View Post
      the wheels look like the not straight type.
      I live pay day to pay day and will wait till my wife has a minute and use her camera phone. I work first shift and she works second so not sure when that will be. the rear tire is in bad shape and needs changed anyway.
      took it for a ride and front brakes dragged on way back and stalled and dropped bike. my right calf and left big toe are complaining. not sure if the wheel cylinders are sticking or if I over filled it or if a hose is bad. bled pressure off and lugged it home in second gear. didn't want to run after I dropped it in the dark on u.s. highway one 1.
      thanks guys.
      i had a similar issue w/brakes dragging on an old yamaha i rode. bleeding relieved the pressure. problem was master cylinder. rebuilt it then no problem. good luck.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
        i cant see a 190 fitting period, i would think a shop would say something about putting that tire on a 4.5 rim (a dealership wouldnt mount it due to liability, but not all shops are the same.)

why doesnt everyone take the guess work out and just mount the 89-92 750/1100 gsxr swing arm. im in the middle of doing it on my pre 750 on top of turbocharging it (blow-thru) all you need to do is change out the interrace of the pivot tube bearings to a i.d. of the kat pivot bolt, and add a spacer on each side being the pivot tube on the gsxr swing arm in a little more narrower than the kat.....any machine shop or someone handy with a lathe can accomplish this in less than a few hours.....and on top of it, you'll be able to use lowering link off a gsxr without having to get a spacer kit. and you can polish the swing arm.....all the parts are readily available. the gsxr swing arm is actually shorter than the kat 600, and will help in handling.

-rear rim 5.5
        -cush drive
        -cush spacer
        -brake arm
        -caliper mount
        -caliper mount spacer
        -rear axle and adjusters
        -caliper
        -swing arm
        what about the shock,,, can you use the stock pre shock?
        sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
        www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

why doesnt everyone take the guess work out and just mount the 89-92 750/1100 gsxr swing arm.

6 1 way, or half dozen the other...

Mod the swinger, and use everything else stock... or... use a different swinger, and mod alot of stuff to make it work.

I picked modding the stock arm, because I didn't want to get into working out figering what/how with the linkage/shock.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

theres nothing to figure out on the linkage, use the stock shock, and use gsxr links or post links, and stock pre knuckle...... i will do a full how-too when i get ready to mount everything

Comment

i will do a full how-too when i get ready to mount everything
              Look forward to seeing it...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                6 1 way, or half dozen the other...

Mod the swinger, and use everything else stock... or... use a different swinger, and mod alot of stuff to make it work.

I picked modding the stock arm, because I didn't want to get into working out figuring what/how with the linkage/shock.

Krey
                .................................................. . +1
                Last edited by stretched600; 12-16-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

brakes draggin

thanks kat toy. that was it. return pin hole was plugged.
                  thanks everyone. I am taking the suzi to cyclops here in town and let them measure the wheels and look thru the books and order new tires.
                  I think someone wanted the bike to role and popped on what ever tire was laying behind his house.

Comment

-rear rim 5.5
                    -cush drive
                    -cush spacer
                    -brake arm
                    -caliper mount
                    -caliper mount spacer
                    -rear axle and adjusters
                    -caliper
                    -swing arm

theres nothing to figure out on the linkage, use the stock shock, and use gsxr links or post links, and stock pre knuckle...... i will do a full how-too when i get ready to mount everything
                    please keep thazkat and i updated on this. now, can i use a newer gsxr rear wheel like a say a 01-04 gsxr 600 on the 89-92 gsxr swingarm? i have the straight spoke busa front wheel so i need to keep the straight spokes in the rear. also when you do a write up can you list all the costs involved for parts and machining?
                    Chrome Project Part 1
                    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by mreedohio View Post
                      please keep thazkat and i updated on this. now, can i use a newer gsxr rear wheel like a say a 01-04 gsxr 600 on the 89-92 gsxr swingarm? i have the straight spoke busa front wheel so i need to keep the straight spokes in the rear. also when you do a write up can you list all the costs involved for parts and machining?
                      01-04 GSXR axle is 28mm vs 20mm for the 89-92 swinger. Either you would need custom axle/spacers/bearings for that wheel, or you would need custom chain adjusters/reslot the swingarm.

The total width dimensions are going to be wider as well for that wheel compared to the 90-92 GSXR wheels. I think its about 1/2 wider.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Im getting into this thread a little late but Ive got a pretty simple question:

Whats the benefits? I always thought throwing a 160 rear made the bike more sluggish in the corners, so why put a wider/larger tire on it?
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                          Whats the benefits? I always thought throwing a 160 rear made the bike more sluggish in the corners, so why put a wider/larger tire on it?

If all you do is widen the wheel/tire, then yes... you increase the apex of turns slightly when riding/pushing the bike to it's limits. Track riders will see a difference in lap times by a second or 2 by adjusting the tire size.

If your not riding the bike on the street like you do on the track... it's not going to make much of a noticeable difference. Tire size is not the only thing that affects this though, so for example... shortening the wheelbase will offset the wider tire effect for the same bike.

If your using the wrong sized tire for the wheel you have mounted, there is going to be a decrease in performance over and above just going wider. Oversized tire on too small of a rim makes for an odd tire profile, and eratic performance at differnt lean angles, less contact surface, etc...

Ultimately though, I'll atribute the reasoning behind it as the same reason the majority of riders quickly go out and purchase an aftermarket exhaust. They like the looks/sound of it better, even though it provides no real gain to their riding style, and in alot of cases can decrease performance if not properly set up on the bike with carb/tuning adjustments.

I wanted mine because... I wanted it.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Took Krey's post and copied it to the how to section and made it a sticky. Great write up Krey.

By the way I run a 160/60 on my 3.5 inch rim. Let me say you have to have a tire that has a tappered sidewall to do this. Bridgstones will not work. Been there on a customers bike and it would not work no matter what I did. Now Michelin, Metzlers and Pirellis (sp) will. I am pretty sure the Contis will as well.
                            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

-rear rim 5.5
                              -cush drive
                              -cush spacer
                              -brake arm
                              -caliper mount
                              -caliper mount spacer
                              -rear axle and adjusters
                              -caliper
                              -swing arm

looking to buy a 89 gsxr 750 crashed bike, is there a writeup of this done yet?

Comment

I was thinking about buying this swingarm extention from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KATAN...Q5fAccessories. What whould I need to do to fit 200 rear tire and what mods would it require.

Comment

Working...
                                X