X

Front end lift for fork service

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end lift for fork service

I need to get my front end lifted with the front forks fully extended to service the forks. My 1990 kat11 has gsxr wheels and a 4:1 pipe so the PO who did the mod lost the centerstand and i dont see a good way to lift the bike.

I know there are front end lifts like the pit bull with a pin that inserts beneath the steering stem and besides the cost of one, I would also need to remove the brake splitter which is mounted directly beneath the steering stem tube.

Anyone else faced with this? I'm thinking of welding something that would attach to my current lift which normally grabs directly beneath the axel.
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

I have exposed rafters in my garage. I use ratchet straps attached to them and on each side of the bike. It only takes a few clicks to get the front end up.

Alternatively, You could use any sturdy over head options that would allow for a strap. I've seen stands made from plumbers pipe for example.

Eyelets screwed into an overhead surface is also an option.

All that said, you can also remove the lower belly fairing, and use a jack to raise the front. I strongly recommend that you use some side tie downs to keep the bike stable and from tipping. Even some tent stakes in the ground if needed.

You can use some small pieces of wood over a flat board to adjust for the variable heights of the lift point to help with the stabilization.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks krey. Awesome ideas. I'm working in my back yard with nothing overhead. I have a motorcycle/at lift but even with the mid pipe off (just springs holding it to the collector and muff) I think I'd be too far back to lift the front end. I can get the ass end up on a rocking stand to see if that helps at least it would have the bike square off the side stand. Building from plumbers pipe is good but probably more expensive then a used pin stand which I could use after moving the brake splitter.
      '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
      '83 xj550 maxim
      '84 xvz1200
      '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
      '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Comment

I have used both a floor jack under it and the harbor freight ratchets together to lift it up
        The jack lifts it up, ratchets are there to keep things up and safe.

Comment

It just doesn't get any better than this !
          Here is the video I promised showing the new engine hoist Brian and I constructed to make an electric 2000lb engine hoist.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
            It just doesn't get any better than this !
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dO_gw6yOkA
            Wow! That made me cringe!
            01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Working...
            X