X

Discout Paint Jobs? Pros vs Cons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discout Paint Jobs? Pros vs Cons

I have a 1993 Katana 750 that is not very pretty. Ive given several attempts at repainting, but my OCD causes me to give up when I can get the fairing to look "perfect". I have attempted plasti dip on the gas tank and a few other parts. Its not bad, but Im still searching for that paint that gives an easy, decent look.

What came to mind while trying to sleep (insomnia, i get lots of time to let my mind wander) is the hammered finish paint. Ive always liked the look, and it seems like it does a pretty good job of hiding imperfections. I would appreciated any opinions from members who have used/seen this paint. I have some cracks to fix (i learned a few techniques that I want to try reading this forum) and then I want to sand and fill the large noticable scratches. A few coats of the hammered finish, and maybe clear over it? If no one has tried this technique I could try it on a few practice pieces and see how it goes.

Ive included a link to the paint I was looking at, incase no one has heard of it before.

The ivory and silver are my two favorites.

If your going to use rattle can paint, use an automotive grade paint. I know rust-oleum make auto grade, napa sells rattle can auto grade, dupli color is auto grade, there are others. Use a good clear with UV protectant, Napa has a great clear. Dupli-color is what I used at least 4-5 coats of color 3-4 coats of clear. follow the instructions on the cans and you'll have a good paint job. DO NOT RUSH OR TRY SHORT CUTS, ask me how i know, lots of run and orange peel removal. it's not imperfections, It's characture. besides the bike is 20 years old. It took me 3 months to get the fairing and the tank to my liking.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If you want to go with a 'specialty' finish like the hammered brown in your link, Rustoleum is the way to go. If you want a decent gloss finish from a rattle can I would suggest DupliColor or better yet, SEM products. SEM has a line of spray cans called promax that have excellent gloss and coverage, but color availability is limited. Have you checked with your local autobody jobber to see if they can do a custom spray can for you? Spraymax also makes an awesome 2 part urethane clear in a rattle can that is well worth the money.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I do have a auto store local that has a very large selection of paint (Welle Auto). I like the look of the hammered. Im in the teenage phase where I want a glossy smooth finish, but dont have the patience to put in the effort. This winter I will put the time into doing it. But for right now, I want to give this bike a unique, quick paint job. My friend has a R6 that was painted with flat green, and despite the flaws in the paint, it still looks very cool. Would I benefit at all from clearing the hammered? How far would you recommend I wet sand to? Is 1500 too far, or far enough?

I read a thread about someone using white plasti-dip, and I liked that a lot too. I am concerned about how plasti-dip holds dirt and stains and are noticable with the black. Would clearing it with a flat clear help with this?

Comment

Try using a compressor with a real paint spray gun. Sand it to the bone( tank ,fairings)
          smooth it out ,primer it ,pick a base coat color u like, than shoot it with a
          a beautiful candy paint overtop. I can guarantee you will just about shit yourself when you see the awesome color you have just laid down.!!
          You can do candy,pearl, choices are unlimited...
          i'm not a painter (trust me on that one) I did my bike
          base is monte carlo black with metal flake. than paint overtop with candy red/ then 4 coats of clear when the sun hits it, wow that's something
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
            Try using a compressor with a real paint spray gun. Sand it to the bone( tank ,fairings)
            smooth it out ,primer it ,pick a base coat color u like, than shoot it with a
            a beautiful candy paint overtop. I can guarantee you will just about shit yourself when you see the awesome color you have just laid down.!!
            You can do candy,pearl, choices are unlimited...
            i'm not a painter (trust me on that one) I did my bike
            base is monte carlo black with metal flake. than paint overtop with candy red/ then 4 coats of clear when the sun hits it, wow that's something

I'll probably do that this winter! Ive got a big compressor and a gun, along with a water trap mid line. My dads got the experience painting, Im just learning.

Comment

If you are going to be spraying it properly this winter, do NOTHING to it now, you'll just create more work for yourself later. Trust me, rattle can paint can be a real PITA to remove.

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                If you are going to be spraying it properly this winter, do NOTHING to it now, you'll just create more work for yourself later. Trust me, rattle can paint can be a real PITA to remove.
                The absolute truth! My mate is a painter (and a real OCD case with his work) who nearly cries when people bring him DIY things that they've not been able to finish. Honestly, give it to a pro as it is, then pick it up when he's ready. I say when he's ready because all painters:

Have a different sense of time from the rest of the world.

Are artists and need time to work.

Are nutters.
                Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

self-proclaimed OCD nutjob hobby painter right here. I'm my own worst critic. I'd never make it in a shop setting where I would just have to pump out the work like an assembly line. I sell auto parts instead, and leave the paint and body for side jobs and 'fun'.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                    self-proclaimed OCD nutjob hobby painter right here. I'm my own worst critic. I'd never make it in a shop setting where I would just have to pump out the work like an assembly line. I sell auto parts instead, and leave the paint and body for side jobs and 'fun'.
                    The very reason that I'm not a full-time mechanic any more. Bonus and 100 minute clock? No thanks, I'll just take the jobs that people who care about their cars want done.
                    Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Working...
                    X