X

My Latest Work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
    The rear caliper bracket came off of a 2008+ Hayabusa. However as Krey mentioned, you would need to find one that fits the axle diameter you plan on using.

GSXFJim did do the extensions, but the caliper bracket support pieces were installed by me. I machined two plates and had them welded in place. Then I machined two Delrin pieces that mounted to these brackets with some flat head socket cap screws so that if the bracket rolls a little when the brakes are applied it will hit the delrin and I wont have to hear a "dink" sound.
    Yeah I was referring to the part used to replace the rear brake torque arm. The solid piece of steel that runs from the frame to the rear brake caliper to keep it from moving during brake application. It runs parallel to the swingarm on the bottom side. I got some pics up in the "Long Term Projects" section of the right side of my bike. I'm sure you know which piece I'm referring to but the pics are there just in case.

Comment

• ****ing beautiful work dude, most attention to detail I've seen
      Where do you find time to work on it?

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

• Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
        ****ing beautiful work dude, most attention to detail I've seen
        Where do you find time to work on it?
        The drag queen curcuit he normally frequents is on hiatus, due to a sudden rash of fungus. So he has all kinds of time to molest his bike now.
        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
        Semper Fi

Comment

• LOL

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

• I haven't worked on it since rolling out of the garage and taking that first ride. Still have to install the LEDs, finish the new frame sliders with LEDs, wire the bar end LEDs, and install the rev limiter (THANKS KREY!).

I've been out of town for two weeks since those last posts, but still managed to get about 1500 miles on it.

Some notes...

Suspension:
            Since riding last time in early 2011 the rear shock has been rebuilt by Tmod and resprung for the extended swing arm. And the front forks are now from the 2008+ Hayabusa. Short answer is "love it". The busa forks are ~2 inches lower than the stock Kat's with a shorter range of travel but they are better set up for the weight of the Kat. And the difference in the rear shock is almost hard to explain.. Its just so good. Good in a way that you dont notice it. And thats before I take the time to really set it up right. It feels solid rolling into turns and takes some bumps better than my truck. Very glad I changed both of them.

Engine:
            I went from the 750 to the 1127. Initially it was tough to tell an 'OMG' difference because I had been off the bike for a year, so the butt dyno was out of calibration. I was expecting it to be easy to power wheelie, but thats not the case. Probably a combination of the front end being a little lower, the swingarm being a little longer, and I suspect the rear end is a little bit higher due to the spring and the tire's higher profile. As it is now, if I get on the gas hard I can feel the back end squirming around / spinning the back tire. I'm pretty sure I can help calm that down with softening the rear a little. I didnt have the proper main jets, so I leaned out the mid range to help out the mains. I can talk more about this in the A/F gauge section... But I think when I get the right mains and correct the needles it will pull even harder. The biggest difference I can tell is that acceleration seems effortless now... Effortless as in I dont really need to open the throttle much to get going. And at the higher speeds it accels still like I am in 2nd. VERRRY HAPPY I made the swap.

A/F Gauge:
            This is tied with the gear indicator as one of my favorite off-season additions. With the wide-band O2 in the header, I can in real time see the air/fuel ratio. I can make a change in the carbs and see the direct change to mixture. Witht his I can say that if the A/F dips to 9ish, the bike will stutter.. I can see it get leaner when coming off throttle, I can see when I start to run out of gas and get to the petcock quicker.. Overall it is just awesome to have this eye inside the engine. Now granted it is the sum of all four cylinders, but still very helpful. When I get the 115 mains I can use it to get the needle position in the right spot... Anyway.. It's a very cool toy...

Chain and sprockets:
            One aspect of this that took a good bit of time was getting the front and rear sprockets to line up. I measured several different ways probably 25 times, but even then I didnt feel 100% confident it was good enough. I think either the work paid off, or I got lucky. The pic below was taken tonight after ~1500 miles. Note just the anodizing is removed just on the tips of the teeth. GSXFJim made my custom sprockets which included a couple countershaft sprockets.. Great work and I now have a lot more confidence in aluminum rear sprockets.

Now riding at night is a pleasure. The headlights are super bright, and the dash looks awesome at night...
            -2000 "750"

Comment

• Hey, mind me asking where you got the ccfl's? I'm thinking about doing the same thing but I want green. idk yet its all in my head right now haha.
              this katana is amazing though, I'd love to see this ride by
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127630

Comment

• CCFLs came with the headlights, both from Ebay...
                -2000 "750"

Comment

• Odd, you still haven't come over to my place with it yet.
                  sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                  2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                  2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Working...
                  X