bigger rim(bigger tire)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger rim(bigger tire)

on my bike i've got a 150-70-17,

my brother told me i needed to find out if i could fit a gixxer rim on my bike so i could get a fatter tire on the rear. is this a good idea and would it work?

if not whats a better way to get a fatter tire?
    06' Zuki Katana 750
    Vance and Hines Slip-On

You don't NEED a fatter tire. The Kat doesn't put out enough power to warrant a wider tire and you can still drag a knee or scrape a peg with a 150. If you still want a fatter tire, you can move up to a 160 on the stock rim, and there are one or maybe two companies that made a 170 deisigned to fit a 4.5 inch rim.

With all that said, try searching for your answer next time. Odds are your question has been asked before. This one has been done to death.

Long Live the D

Comment

can anyone confirm that a 160 will fit on the stock rim?

i'm looking at these avons, i like the 160-60-17, the 160-70-17 just has a lil longer sidewall right? i'm willing to pay the extra lil bit for the 60-17
      06' Zuki Katana 750
      Vance and Hines Slip-On

Comment

Do a search or look at the Tire section on this site...I believe the paradox is correct but you should look in there...this topic has been covered before...
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

DO NOT USE A 160-70. NOT SAFE.

You can get away with a 160-60, but thats about it. The other tire sizes are not stable on this small of a rim.

If you really want a larger tire, it is possible to put a different swing arm on it, then the associated larger rim. I'm not sure what swing arms bolt up, or how much more modification is needed for them, or if the chain will still line up.
          None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
          -Robert Morrison

"
          well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Putting a 5.5" rim on the bike will be a PIA, and you'll need to do a bunch of work to the swingarm and to offset the chain path to compensate (at least if you like your wheel centered under the bike).

That said, as everyone pointed out, there is no real benefit moving to a bigger wheel on your particular bike. For more info, here are the two threads they were telling you to search for:
            FAQ's - Tire Fitment and Gerneral Information, and the shorter version here: FAQ's - CyberPoet's Newbie Thread *MUST READ*

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

re

I just put a
              Bridgestone Battlax 160-60-17 Rear on my 05 600
              This is as wide as you can go and be safe.

Comment

Re: re

Originally posted by JacknGulfport
                I just put a
                Bridgestone Battlax 160-60-17 Rear on my 05 600
                This is as wide as you can go and be safe.
                Can you do me a favor, while the tire is still new?
                Go measure the tire in the following ways, using these directions:
                Distance across the treadface (straight-line, like a hard ruler, not curved around the face);
                Distance from where you would guess the mounting lip sits under the rim to the edge of the treadface (the tread-lip sits about 1/2 way between the edge and the base of the rim).

I'm curious, because when I measure the Metzeler Z6's in a 150/70ZR17 new, I found out that it was actually a 159/61ZR17. Remember the numbers just refer to what tire size it's designed to fit -- not necessarily what the actual "hard" size is.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Recomend tire size

In your FAQ you state the best tire up grade on a post 1998 would be a Metzler Z-6 sizes F 120/70ZR-17 - R 150/70ZR-17 will these Radial tires be correct for a 1990 Kat 600? Thank You

Comment

Re: Recomend tire size

Originally posted by #1 Moses
                    In your FAQ you state the best tire up grade on a post 1998 would be a Metzler Z-6 sizes F 120/70ZR-17 - R 150/70ZR-17 will these Radial tires be correct for a 1990 Kat 600? Thank You
                    Although they are not the original OEM tire sizes for a '90 Kat, they are the best sizes available that will readily & safely fit a '90 Kat. Tire size standards have moved on since 1990 and the OEM sizes from that time period have fallen by the wayside (plus you get the benefits of steel-belted tires, also not OEM on the Kats in 1990 from what I understand).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the Metzeler Z6 170-60-17 on mine and personally I like the handeling and feeling of it alot better than the 150. Metzeler said that tire size is safe for a 4.5" rim. I called them before I spent the money on it. But I believe that's about the widest tire you can get on the stock rim.
                      ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Originally posted by Qweezark
                        I have the Metzeler Z6 170-60-17...
                        ADDED FOR CLARIFICATION: This post was intended for #1 Moses
                        Sheer folly. Meanwhile, totally ignore this advice, as you have a pre-98, which means you do not have a 4.5" wide rear rim, so even if it wasn't foolish advice in general, it would be potentially lethal advice in your case anyway.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Sheer folly. Meanwhile, totally ignore this advice, as you have a pre-98, which means you do not have a 4.5" wide rear rim, so even if it wasn't foolish advice in general, it would be potentially lethal advice in your case anyway.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Actually I have an 05' so it is 4.5" wide... and according to several places the metzeler and there 1 other brand that is designed and safe to mount on a 4.5" rim... I've done my research.
                          ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can go with a 170 as long as you reprogram the Kats' computer to allow for the changes in the handling.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Actually I have an 05' so it is 4.5" wide... and according to several places the metzeler and there 1 other brand that is designed and safe to mount on a 4.5" rim... I've done my research.
                              I think he was speaking to #1 Moses, we all know what you have....
                              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                              18v Rigid Drill
                              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Working...
                              X