No announcement yet.
X

Rear tire size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone know where i can get a modded swingarm, one that fits an oversized tire. like a gixxer tire

Comment

have a 130 on my 91 is that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by budaphat View Post
        have a 130 on my 91 is that bad?

130? On the front? That would be very oversized for the front rim if you have the stock 3" rim.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I disagree
          most 130-150 tires are designed for 3" wheels
          a 130/80-17 would be perfectly fine for a 3" rim

just remember the wider you go the taller the tire should be to retain the tires profile.

Most Harley and cruiser 3" wheels run a 130 ~ 150 (MT ~ MU) by 80 or 90.
          Many older sport, standard and sport touring used 2.5 ~3" wheels and ran 120 ~150
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            I disagree
            most 130-150 tires are designed for 3" wheels
            a 130/80-17 would be perfectly fine for a 3" rim

just remember the wider you go the taller the tire should be to retain the tires profile.

Most Harley and cruiser 3" wheels run a 130 ~ 150 (MT ~ MU) by 80 or 90.
            Many older sport, standard and sport touring used 2.5 ~3" wheels and ran 120 ~150

I think we have had this conversation prior... I will agree in part with most of what you said.

Yes, going up in profile increases the size of tire you can place on the rim and keep profile. I was incorrect in making an assumption. I was assuming that OP was sticking with a 70 series tire, and I will stick with 130/70 being a tad too large for the front of a pre kat on a 3" rim.

Speaking of front... if that is where it's at... I dont' see that you could fit a 130/80 with the stock fender setup on a pre. VERY tight fit if it did I would think. I've seen a fighter with no fender posted here that had one and it looked cool, real beefy look to it. It had about a papers width thickness clearance between the forks though.

Most of the tires I've looked at (recomended and sizing) that most people run on the kats... the 130 sizes are designed for the rear tires. I'm not going to say I know enough about the tires to know if that's a problem to run a "designed for the rear" tire on the front or not.

What I do know is that every 120/70 tire that goes on the front of my pre kats is already showing signs of deformation on the last 1/2" of the tires on the sides, being pulled in at an angle that is near impossible to ever put on the ground. It's the same thing that happens putting a 160 on the rear of the Pre.

So I think it's back to the ... It might fit, but it's not the best profile. I wouldn't go over a 120 if sticking with a 70 or lower profile ona 3" rim personally.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fastymz View Post
              Not sure what the previous owner did to the bike, but I've only had it for 2 Mo's now. Yeah its a 180 tire and every thing looks to fit good. But then again he did heck up some other items on the bike, so who knows. I didn't know the 180's does not normally fit on 2003 750 kats?
              The tire will need to be replaced soon, and I was asking what size you've ran and what results you got from to help me decide what size tire to replace it with. The bike does ride real nice now.
              the stock tire size on a post 600/750 is a 150/70/17.... i run a 160/60/17.
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:
              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Working...
              X