No announcement yet.
X

Rear tire size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The road attack was actually more then the BT21 and the Z6 when I got them last season.
    Even then we are talking within 20-35 bucks, not a huge cost difference
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-11-2011, 07:20 AM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

stock size michelin tires
      -objects in mirror are losing- ---- ---- ----

-98 GSXF 750 Kat-

Comment

170 on an 03. fits good and handles just as good as the 150. check out the dennis kirk catalog. the have a tire chart. they carry several that will fit a 4.5 inch rim. i thinkk they even have some 180s that they claim will fit a 4.5 inch rim. but cant remember.

Comment

stock but i do want to stretch my katana and add a fat tire back there.

Comment

Originally posted by 150mphbike View Post
            ...They have a tire chart. They carry several that will fit a 4.5 inch rim. i think they even have some 180s that they claim will fit a 4.5 inch rim. but cant remember.
            I really doubt there is a 180 listed to fit a 4.5" rim, but would love to be proved wrong. I looked on the site listed and found nothing even close to showing that, but... Got a link to specific info on a tire that will fit 180 on a 4.5 at that website?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

it is possible but the tire would need to be a huge 70 series to keep the profile
              the Honda shadows have a 4" rim and run a 170 rear tire, but its a 170/80-15. its a lot of flex in a tire with a side wall that high and would not perform nearly as well as a lower profile tire can.

for pre bikes you can run a 160 in some cases. The Metz lasertec and Conti Force are designed for a 3.7" rim. Not the best tires but still better then many OE tires, for quality tires its hard to find anything bigger then a 150 for the pre.

the post bikes there are a few different ones in 170 that will work, I have not found a 180 yet
              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                it is possible but the tire would need to be a huge 70 series to keep the profile
                the Honda shadows have a 4" rim and run a 170 rear tire, but its a 170/80-15. its a lot of flex in a tire with a side wall that high and would not perform nearly as well as a lower profile tire can.

for pre bikes you can run a 160 in some cases. The Metz lasertec is designed for a 3.75 rim. Not the best tire but still better then many OE tires, for quality tires its hard to find anything bigger then a 150 for the pre.

the post bikes there are a few different ones in 170 that will work, I have not found a 180 yet

Sure, I would expect that that there are some exceptions to just about any situation. When you start playing around with the aspect ratio, you can get some pretty cool looking and interesting effects when you change around the tire sizes. I know someone posted up a pic of their "fighter" with a 130 front tire on their pre front 3" rim... but it was a "large" aspect ratio giving it that classic cafe racer fenderless balloon tire look to it.

I guess this kinda says those other numbers in tire sizing are important too... "We" talk alot about the first number generally expecting to keep with 1 size of the next... at least I do anyways.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

180 on a 4.5 rim?? A large aspect ratio only allows a wider tire because you have more side wall to squeeze down into the rim. So you have side wall deflection and less tread deformation. Still doesn't sound good..

It's all looks. HS202 can get a knee down on a 150 tire. How much lower do you need to go?

Comment

Originally posted by K1llacotton View Post
                    stock but i do want to stretch my katana and add a fat tire back there.
                    I'd like to see that!!!

Comment

Instead of going for huge rubber, I've gone for the stickiest I could get, Michelin Power Pure. Mine is an 06 750, run the 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear. The original 150/70-17 rear I ended up with no chicken strips and it felt like running off the edge of the tread. Had a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2s which lasted around 14000 miles before getting too square for my liking.

Comment

This is a first...

(long time members will know why I am so shocked..)

Comment

i have a pre 600 kat and i was wondering if a post rim would bolt into the stock pre swingarm? if so what kind and size tires would u recommend for the front and rear?

Comment

Originally posted by caveman5055 View Post
                            i have a pre 600 kat and i was wondering if a post rim would bolt into the stock pre swingarm? if so what kind and size tires would u recommend for the front and rear?

Tons of detailed info on this, so for that... search.

Simple answer - Yes, and 120/70 with 160/70.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Tire Size info...

Hi everyone,

I have a 1993 GSX750F Katana and going into my second season on it I need some new rubber. I have found with the stock tire size's 150\70-17 & 110\80-17 Im having trouble finding a matching set, I want to go with the Michelin Road Pilot 2's (looking for something that corners well but gives me some km's before it flattens out). So has anybody changed tire size's that much that could give me some advice?

My available options are 160-60-17 rear & a 110-70-17 front

any help would be appreciated as this is my first set of tires im putting on a bike!

Cheers

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by DocsKatana View Post
                                Hi everyone,

I have a 1993 GSX750F Katana and going into my second season on it I need some new rubber. I have found with the stock tire size's 150\70-17 & 110\80-17 Im having trouble finding a matching set, I want to go with the Michelin Road Pilot 2's (looking for something that corners well but gives me some km's before it flattens out). So has anybody changed tire size's that much that could give me some advice?

My available options are 160-60-17 rear & a 110-70-17 front

any help would be appreciated as this is my first set of tires im putting on a bike!

Cheers

Derek
                                Use 150/70 rear and 120/70 front. Pilot road 2s come in those sizes.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X