No announcement yet.
X

Gauge cluster LEDs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added a few more LEDs to brighten up the redline, fuel gauge and odometer LCD. Used surface mount LEDs and played with the resistor values to dim them down to better match the rest of the gauges. Pics aren't the greatest, there is some glare due to camera angle.
    LEDs straight from Hong Kong

Before..........................................an d .......................................after
    I also added a divider between 10,000 and 11,000 RPM to stop the red from bleeding over into the blue which gives a pinkish colour.

Before..........................................an d .......................................after

Tried to illuminate the needles better with some LEDs mounted above the gauge faces in the case, but it just brightened the gauge face and washed out the red line. Only the tach received this treatment before I decided it wasn't for me. Could dim them with a different resistor value, but I don't like the uneven hot spots, so I have some emails out to try and source some acrylic needles.
    Last edited by Astro4x4; 10-17-2007, 12:50 AM.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

How do I get to the bulbs under the cluster? Is there a thread with pics? That looks really good by the way. I'm probably going to go with superwhite though. It looked nice on my GS500.

Comment

I think I read somewhere that all I have to do is take off the windscreen and you can pull them out from there. Is this right? I have an 03.

Comment

Looking good.... it's on the to do list fo sho

Salem, OR

Comment

starspan said,

"If you choose to change all of them to LED's you will need a total of 11 LED's. They are all #74 automotive bulbs on a 98+. Since you are going to go with blue, then you need 7 (Blue) of them (6 for the dash, and, 1 for the High Beam Indicator) 3 Green (2 for the turnsignals, and, 1 for the Neutral Indicator), and, 1 Red (For the Oil Pressure Indicator)"

But Astro4x4 said,

"I bought 4 X #24 Tri-power 3 LED bulbs for speedo etc. backlighting ( I used blue)
            3 X #74 green Tri-power 3 LED bulbs for signal and neutral indicators
            1 X #74 blue Tri-power for high beam indicator
            1 X #74 red Tri-power for oil pressure indicator"

Question is, do I need 4 or 6 LED's for the dash? I already know that I need 3 green, 1 blue, and 1 red.

Comment

Answer is 4

You'll have to take the fairings off or at least bolts out of them and loosen them so you can get the dash out. Then you remove the three nuts holding the cluster to the dash. From there you have to remove the screws in the back of the cluster and separate the housing. Once the back is off you can get the bulbs out, they are in twist lock bases.
              Batteries are dead in my digi cam and I just worked 13 hours, so I'll try to get some pics up Tuesday night after work (11:30 PM)
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I'm doing mine in a few days ... got some leds too
                I ride, therefore I am.

Comment

*watching*
                  WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

Surface Mount Lights for lighting up redline and empty??

This looks like a great mod, and I've just ordered a set of leds to make the basic mod... However... I was wondering what additional LEDs (surface mount were mentioned), resistor values and mounting procedures were required to get the awsome backlighting on in the redline area and empty range on the fuel guage... Pics, would be great if someone's got time too =) Thanks!

Comment

Sorry mine are all back together and ready to roll. I should've got some pics when I was doing it I guess.
                      2000 Katana 600
                      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Ressurrecting the dead.. Looking into this mod.. Seems great!

Comment

yea i did that to mi gsxr

Comment

it looks like it'd be a good mod. considering doing it after i wire up/install my hayabusa side mirrors w/ integrated signals.

Comment

just ordered mine from superbrightleds.com.. cost about $30

See My Garage for mods...
                              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Do you know what bulbs does a 750 use? i plan to buy these 2

damn an 01 750
                                Last edited by HungLow; 03-31-2010, 03:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X