No announcement yet.
X

Katana 600 beginner friendly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just considering the 1000cc bike because where I live, there are many long straight roads. Im talking about long 5-10 mile straight line roads where a bunch of sportbikers love to ride, but there are also many twisties, so I just dont know.

Comment

Get the 750. Im only 6' 195, but I bought a 600. I wish now I would have gotten the 750. I have a jet kit, full Titanium/SS exhaust, and a K&N on my bike (a bit more power, but less torque under 3500 RPM), and I love it, but the 750 would have made me happier.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
        The downsides to the Katana as a beginner bike are normally listed as

1) she's a heavy bike
        2) full fairings = big money to replace in a drop

for someone your size the weight shouldn't be a problem, but to be honest the only time the kat's weight is really noticeable is when moving it around in the garage. Once moving it's not really an issue.

I've got the 600 but if I had to do it over again I'd go for the 750.
        The Kat 600 can be a great bike for a beginner. Charliemav's first bike is/was a Kat 600 and she loves it as well. She learned on it from the ground up and has really come a long way. She did mention that she'd probably trade up to a 750 at some point for someone just learning a 500-600cc bike is MORE than plenty for ya.

Comment

I don't recommend the Katana as a starter bike. Get something lighter and without all the fairings. A used GS500 would be good.

see this:

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
            I don't recommend the Katana as a starter bike. Get something lighter and without all the fairings. A used GS500 would be good.

see this:
            http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...074&highlight=
            myspace
            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I have had 3 bikes that were 650/750 cruisers, and about 20,000 miles experience before I bought my 1100 kat this year. It has been scary a few times , the first day I had it I was about to put air in the tires because the person who sold it to me didn't bother to check the pressure. The pressure was only at 12 in front and 16 in the back, and it ended up tipping over because it was sitting low. I was at the air machine putting coins in, turned around it was on the ground. Broke the mirror and directional off and bent the brake lever. I almost cried
              I managed to pick it up, but it was tough, and a few days later I was in massive pain.
              The moral of my story? Make sure you are ready for whatever you purchase, my 1100 is more than what I had bargained for, I just can't get over the power but while you are still learning I would go with a 600 for sure. I am glad I never had a big sport bike when I was young, because I was way too crazy for a beginner, and I certainly would have wrecked because even my cb650 got dumped a few times.
              Now, after over 20 years as a rider I feel confident on my 1100, but it has taken me most of this season to get used to it enough so my hands stop shaking
              The 600 is a fast bike too, even with a big guy

Comment

I'm 6'2/265. Get a Kat 750 if you can afford it. -You get a little extra pull that you'll want to get yo' big azz down the road.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I just got my bike I got 600 and I'm 6'3" and about 210 and I love it. This is my first bike as well if your worried about it being too much don't worry about it. I was pretty scared at first but once you get on it it's so easy to ride. Before this bike my only experience was on a dirt bike and it scared the crap outta me cause every time you hit the gas the front tire came off the ground. I would recommend one thing to ya buy a bike thats cheap so you don't lay over an expensive bike. Check out this website www.autocyclers.com they sell wrecks but some of them on there just have a lil road rash and they are relatively cheap. well happy riding man
                  02' Katana 600
                  D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

The 750 was my first bike right out the msf ... I'm short and light and was doing more then fine on the 750. Guess take either one .. depending on deals you can find.

P.S. traded my 750 after 1 season .... I wanted not more top speed but more acceleration.
                    Guylaine
                    Try and keep up now

Comment

Interesting. I'm 6' and 280 and I find that my 600 has plenty of oomph. My wife and I ride 2up quite often and I've nearly dropped her off the back of the bike with the acceleration. The 600 is fine.

However, even with your size, I'd suggest something smaller and more forgiving than the 600. The 500 requires downshifting to get to speed faster where as the 600 will allow a fairly decent speed increase without dropping a gear. Cyberpoet has talked at length about this and I must agree with him.

That being said, the 600 was my first bike (after the 200 from the MSF course). I dropped it once after about 6 months when I hit some gravel and an angle at a stop sign. Otherwise, it's run just fine for me and I haven't had any real problems with it.
                      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                      -Terence

Comment

I am 5' 6" and about 180lbs, I bought my first bike last aug, a 2005 Katana 600. It really is a great bike, VERY forgiving and quite comfortable. The only down side is that it is so heavy, but that only causes me problems in the garage. I would reccomend the 750 for you for two reasons. One, you are going to have a lot more bike to grow into, and two you are a biger guy than me

I wish now I had bought the 750 because I am going to start doing more two-up riding.

Ease of working on the Katana was also a BIG reason I bought it, Since it is carburated and Oil cooled you can do most anything it needs done if you are mechanicly inclined.

Craigslist.com is a great place to find them and any other kind of bike you could want. I have seen quite a few 2000-2003 Katanas in Dallas ( a long way away I know, but just a reference) in the $2500-$4000 range. Also they seem to keep their value very well if they are well taken care of.
                        "The moment you have in your heart this extraordinary thing called love and feel the depth, the delight, the ecstasy of it, you will discover that for you the world is transformed."

-J. Krishnamurti

Comment

IM 6'0, and +/- 200 lbs, picked up my 6 last weekend and I love it. It is only the second road going bike Ive ever rode, the first bein my dads 883 harley. BUt so far I love it to death. I only paid 1500 bucks for it and already put at least 350 miles on it in a week. Did I mention it was also my very first bike. Would recommend it to anyone!

Comment

It's a great starter bike. I still have mine 2 years later.
                            > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                            97 Mustang GT
                            95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Suzuki has a new model coming out..... a gsx650f.......

it should have all the power a beginner will need without the worry about being too much.. and looks like a good long hauler as well....

post 08's rule!!!

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat

post 08's rule!!!
                                Nooooo!!!!! Not that sh*t again!
                                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                                X