X

what tools do i need?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what tools do i need?

ok so i own a 90 kat. I found me a parts bike and im thinking of buying it, its a 93 kat. Both 750's. I figure it would be very handy to have a parts bike at my disposal. But im also thinking maybe i should instead restore that one with my bike as a parts bike....? i dunno yet i havent really seen it yet, BUT! thats another topic for another day.!

Actually what im here for is, here i am, im a bout to buy this parts bike. but i dont have any tools.! in fact, Im not too sure, but i think there are a bunch of special tools for different things. I know that this is very vague but dont worry. I have some basic tools. beyond those, the work im going to be doing is probly on the a)forks b)clutch c)chain and sprockets. So i just need to know if there are any special kind of tools that i will need to do this. OR! if somone would like to help me tear this bike apart and apply them to the other bike that would be absolutely super! I would even pay or something...
    ~chris

One tool you will need is a torque wrench....
    Metric wrenches and sockets, and some allen wrenches.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

ah ok!

ahhh! torque wrench! thanx alot! OH LOL! your bike is bike of the month up on the banner! cool! Thanx again!
      ~chris

Comment

Impact driver for stubborn bolts . Dremel comes in handy , too . I've used it to notch old bolts that were stripped , as well as drilling them out , cutting the old chain , LOTS of stuff . Not much you really NEED that's outside of the standard Katana toolkit , actually . Box wrenches in the sizes in the stock toolkit (since the stock ones KINDA suck) , 1 1/4" socket for the sprocket nut , multimeter , and if you'll be taking the engine out or forks off , you might wanna search for the tubular frame you can build yourself for $30 . Hmmm , needlenose vicegrips are good to have , too . Let's see , what else is in MY Katana toolkit ? Telescoping magnet , crescent wrench (universal bolt stripper ) ... All I can think of for now .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, they used to just GIVE away that title. Slap some flames on your bike and you win!!

Just kidding Fred, you know I like your bike.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

The place to start, IMHO, is a basic craftsman mechanic's tool kit (129 piece or higher count) from sears. They have their 155 piece set (sears item #00935155000) on sale for $99 right now, and that will contain almost everything you will need except for a torque wrench (Craftman Beam Torque Wrench - $24.99 - sears item #00944690000) and a few specialty tools. Round out the rest with choice cheap selections from the closest HarborFreight store & auto parts store (feeler gauges .004' -.010" are the critical ones.).

That's where I'd start you out at.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I agree with Cyber a good Craftsmen set is not a bad idea. They have a lifetime guarantee and will not cost you an arm and a leg. I received a Husky tool set from Home Depot as a gift. It has a hard case with a labeled spot for everything. It is great because you can instantly tell if you are missing a tool and it folds up into a nice compact case.

Comment

sweet

ya that sounds cool. Thanx for all the info. My girlfriend kinda has this little tool set like it, but its not metric so the wrenches and stuff just dont seem to fit right. Sears! thanx for all the advice.
                ~chris

Comment

I have a set of allen sockets too that are great for things that need a little extra oomph to get moving.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yo only need a few allen sockets , though . Like the 6mm is good for the exhaust bolts , the 5.5 is I THINK the case covers and maybe cylinder head cover (or was that 5mm ...) . But in any case , those will be all you'd ever need .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                      Yo only need a few allen sockets , though . Like the 6mm is good for the exhaust bolts , the 5.5 is I THINK the case covers and maybe cylinder head cover (or was that 5mm ...) . But in any case , those will be all you'd ever need .
                      The mechanics toolkit I recommended by part number comes with individual 90 degree allen keys in those sizes (enough to see him through). I supplimented them with the T-handled ones at one point, as well as with the can't-lose-them type (where they all fold up together like a swiss-army knife) for under the seat. Later, I broke down and bought metric allen-key 3/8" drive sockets as well for something stubborn I was working on (can't remember what anymore -- maybe exhaust header bolts?).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Some tools not mentioned that I find useful though not necessarily only for motorcycles are: breaker bars to preserve your ratchet wrenchs, inspection mirror, feeler gauges, and a headlight.

Comment

cool

cool, this thread turned into a pretty big one. I think im gonna be ready to take apart my bike now!
                          ~chris

Comment

Remember taking it apart is easy. Getting it back together without too many extra parts and have it run is the challenge.

Comment

and a really BIG hammer.

Comment

Working...
                              X