Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

why do harley riders hate people on rockets??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragkota
    Hey Cyber sorry to bust your bubble but you counted wrong....
    Sorry i just couldn't resist
    You're right. When I started writing it, I was clumping the "just riders" in with the nineteen-percenters, but realized it wasn't right. Then just as I was finishing, one of my dogs said "I need out -- now" & the phone started ringing... and I forgot to go back and edit the count.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was going to keep my mouth shut figuring it'll do no good and it won't change anybody, so this is for me.

It doesn't matter what you ride, there are people who don't wave, period. Big deal...it doesn't stop me from waving and it doesn't ruin my day. When I rode my Katana there was no difference in the percentage of cruiser (Harley or whatever) riders or sportbike riders who didn't wave back.

Now I've got a Harley V-Rod. I don't fit in any of the generalizations made ahead of my post and I so I find the some of your comments somewhat idiotic. It's kind of like watching a news report about something that you have intimate knowledge about getting twisted to suit whatever bias the writer has.

I rode Japanese bikes for 22 years and for now I've got a German/British/American and whatever else it's made of (I don't care). Some of you that posted here have a good attitude about riding and people but when some of you start to throw people into rigid categories based on what they ride or look like, or because they act different than you, it's no different than racism. Wake up and look at yourself.

I'm in no man's land. My bike's not considered a Harley by the traditional guys and it's not considered a sportbike...yet it feels as good if not better than my Katana (which I will always love) did. To me it's just a gorgeous bike that happens to have the Harley badge on it. I didn't buy it because of that.... yet by many sportbike riders I'm considered to be a dirt bag now. Oh well, when I had the Katana those sportbike guys thought I didn't own a real bike. You can't win...it's like being the kid in the school yard who has a funny sounding name...the other kids start to tease and more join in so that they fit in with the crowd and don't get teased themselves.... it's human nature to fit in and be sociable. We have a higher goal to be able to rise above that and love each other...it's why we're here.

Ok, now I'm going to generalize. From what I've seen so far, the people I've met who own Harleys tend to be open minded and mature in their thinking....and, just like in the sportbike crowd, there are some who aren't. If you base your conclusions on an experience or two with one of those types of people then you are no better than them. Maybe you need to open your mind and be a better person for your own good as well as this motorcycle community.
      Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

I'm in no man's land. My bike's not considered a Harley by the traditional guys and it's not considered a sportbike...yet it feels as good if not better than my Katana (which I will always love) did. To me it's just a gorgeous bike that happens to have the Harley badge on it. I didn't buy it because of that.... yet by many sportbike riders I'm considered to be a dirt bag now. Oh well, when I had the Katana those sportbike guys thought I didn't own a real bike. You can't win...it's like being the kid in the school yard who has a funny sounding name...the other kids start to tease and more join in so that they fit in with the crowd and don't get teased themselves.... it's human nature to fit in and be sociable. We have a higher goal to be able to rise above that and love each other...it's why we're here.
        While I dont own a Harley of course.. Every person on the board has felt like the tweener from time to time when you listen to other riders talk about our Kats, or read about what the so called experts say the Kat is or isn't so yes its the same for Harleys and kats; and for other types of bikes too of course...the hard core back in the day Harley riders dont think its a real Hog because its nice n shiney and new..and not an original panhead or shovel head or any other back in the day "real hog" as they many seem to refer to them as. As far as the kats vs other sportbike riders, well we all know how that story goes from many discussions here on KR about it

Comment

Its true Beek, people (myself included) will always generalize, based on the examples of few.... And it will always be that way, because the few (eg. squids) are more visible to the laymen. And threads like this will always be posted, but I don’t think it’s out of hate.

I'm not saying it's right, but I will say that these generalization are nowhere near what racism is, or is even comparable. Sure, I'll get snuffed by non-sport bikers all year long....or as a sailboat racer, we make fun of sailors that just 'cruise'..... or us Subaru drivers make fun of Dodge Neon owners a lot...

But these are temporary barriers and change throughout one's life depending on what 'bike' they may have at the time. And it usually dissipates once they step of the bike each day. True animosity is held 24 hours a day and those are the barriers we should definitely avoid. The Harley - Sportbike rift IMHO is fun and is more in line with a sport rivalry (Yanks - Socks)... and yes, it has gotten violent between both rivalries before...but for the most part, it's fun.

If this was a thread regarding "I hate cops" or “I hate ethnic minorities” or “Scientology is a crock o’ ----something to that nature, then yes, I would disagree with it.

But for the most part….I don’t get waved at by Harley riders, I get dirty looks from jacked up trucks at my Subaru RS, fishermen cuss a storm at us when we sail past, friends that wear Nike’s make fun of my Puma’s…and its all good. When I get hate for being a minority is when its real.

Comment

I say that all of you guys have excellent points of view. Try being a black guy on a rocket and you will see that percentage of people waving back to you go down even further. What a shame!
            Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

But these are temporary barriers and change throughout one's life depending on what 'bike' they may have at the time. And it usually dissipates once they step of the bike each day. True animosity is held 24 hours a day and those are the barriers we should definitely avoid. The Harley - Sportbike rift IMHO is fun and is more in line with a sport rivalry (Yanks - Socks)... and yes, it has gotten violent between both rivalries before...but for the most part, it's fun.
              That's a good point. For those of us that get or have gotten ridiculed while riding or standing near our bike when another rider comes up and we take some flack and dish out some too while we're at it ..it's good to let it drop at that point, ur either doing it in fun, or else you just agree to disagree and head on about your merry way..the problem lies in where people can't let it go and it becomes an obsession to hate or take the attitude with you where it affects your daily life and your daily riding life too. It happens with motorcyclists just as it does with anything else..we just dont see it to that degree 24 hour animosity as much as it probably happens. One would hope as time goes on, those feelings would eventually dissepate into 1 common goal, "ride on 2 wheels and enjoy yourself and the company of other riders, period" ..but I'd venture a guess it probably will never go away completely.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                be honest with you guys I work with guys who ride Harleys and nothing else. They have been riding them from the late 60's until now. They have suffered through the AMF years and one fella was just about a Hells Angel at one point. they are the true HD riders and I respect them. They Hate and are embarrassed with all the new found chopper shiate and the doctors and dentists and every di#khead with a small D*ck who buys the latest piece of outdated farm equipment because it makes them feel cool.So when a HD guy waves back hes most likely old school,could be an Angel or something of the like.Its the weekend warrior type who dont wave. Tell tale sign is the flames and the American thunder bull on his shirt,pants boots.helmet and thong!
                I tend to agree with most of what you wrote.

There are Four kinds of Harley riders as far as I'm concerned:

The one-percenters. These guys eat, drink, crap and exhale HD orange, often belong to gangs like Hell's Angels, have integrated riding into their lifestyle to the point that it's as integral as breathing. They won't wave because they don't believe you are an one-percenter. If they do think you're an one-percenter (such as it's obvious you rode around the globe -- the long way), they'll wave no matter what you're on. BTW, there are Hell's Angels/Jokers/etc. who ride things other than HD's, especially in their foriegn branches.

Next comes what I call the next nineteen-percenters. These guys are those who aren't quite one-percenters, but their bikes are customized by hand instead of out of a catalog. They weld, stretch metal, craft leather, tinker and ride. It's their originals that end up being repro'd to make catalog items. Often these are the guys the one percenters use as mechanics when they can't do something themselves. Their leathers are crusty old and creased. Their toolbags are overflowing (and they have toolbags -- always). They put serious miles on the bike. Often you can spot these guys because they are the ones riding to work during the middle of the week in crap weather. They will usually wave to anyone who waves and talk to any rider, although they are still convinced their bikes are better (and in some senses, they are, because they are unique expressions of their own workmanship -- an HD is more like a blank canvas to them than it is a motorcycle in it's own right). These are the guys you'll see riding 50 year old HD's in near-mint condition.

Next comes the 20% who are "just riders." They would ride anything, but happen to be riding an HD at the moment. Some brand preferences, but not enough to make it part of their lifestyle beyond to whatever degree it's convenient. In a sense, they belong to the nineteen-percenters, but are younger or less mechanically skilled (or both) and aren't brand-fixated yet. They'll talk to anyone, wave to anyone, use the bike to enjoy themselves. Some ride on weekend, some ride across the country, but they all ride and enjoy the ride more than the bike. You can usually spot them because their bikes are still virtually 100% stock, but not looking showroom new in any sense.

Finally comes what I call the 120 proofers (120 proof = 60% by volume). These are the guys whose primary enjoyment in life is swilling drinks (usually crud-beer) on the weekend, and the HD is their entry ticket into the social circles they want to get into to feel "special" and "different". They have showboat rides consisting strictly of catalog upgrades and chromed bling. You can throw every wanna-be, corporate suit, dentist, accountant, ambulance-chasing lawyer who doesn't fall into any of the categories above, and the rest of the of the posers into this group. They are chasing a dream that has eluded them (and it might be as simple as not being able to make friends easily any other way). One-percenters won't talk to them, nineteen-percenters find them annoyingly dull but an important source of income (so they are tolerated to a point), and the just riders are too busy riding to bother with them. Many of these guys won't wave because they really didn't notice you (not enough rider perception to scan the other side of a median), while others won't because you don't belong to the "club". I suspect deep in the dark recesses of my brain that most of these riders had parents who belonged to country clubs and they grew up hating the country club stereotype, so they are forming their own anti-country-club groups by buying Harleys. These guys have new leather chaps and vests, upscale sunglasses and the oldest pair of jeans they can still fit into, no toolbag (or toolbag doubles as sunglass holder), and the bike is immaculate most of the time.

Just my take on it... My uncle was an one-percenter for many years (he's also serving his 8th or 9th felony conviction at this point), and I was exposed to a lot of one-percenters and nineteen-percenters for a few years as a kid as a result.giddy up!

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't need gear! I don't need to hang off!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Originally posted by BearKat
                    .except them stupid Segway riders I hate them...
                    I'd like to see someone do a stoppie on a Segway...

LOU!!!!
                    Here ya go!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog
                      I'd like to see someone do a stoppie on a Segway...
                      Here ya go!
                      He was mounting it incorrectly. Don't pull the handlebars toward you. Let the Segway stand by itself with its floorboard level, then step onto it as if you're climbing a stairway.

(An ex-cow-orker had one and I got to play with it quite a bit.)

Comment

NOTE:
                        None of these apply to our own Slim however...
                        thnx BP
                        but you're wrong....this one does apply to me

8. too busy looking at the guy with the cute butt
                        - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by macgyver
                          another possibility rockets arnt as loud and obnoxious as harleys
                          Have you heard my bike?
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
                            Most harely owners are too fat to ride a croch rocket.
                            Oh, and their old ass joints don't allow them to assume the riding position.
                            HEY! I am phat, and can fit on my bike just fine, and still get plenty low to the ground on the corners!
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Good catergorization Dragkota...I am a type 3 Harley rider.
                              When I'm not riding my bicycle, I'm either on my hot-rod Harley or my new 06 Kat 600.

Comment

Originally posted by scittkit
                                Good catergorization Dragkota...I am a type 3 Harley rider.
                                Actually, that was my categorization... Dragkota was just poking fun at me because I had prefaced the statement with saying there were fewer than I listed.

PS - thanks for the compliment, even if you did target the wrong person.

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X