X

SS2R Oil Pan Leak Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS2R Oil Pan Leak Help!!!

Hello, I'm the thrid owner of my 93 Kat 750 and about 3 weeks ago I started getting a small oil leak, after some searching I found it was coming from the oil pan where my V&H exhaust touches. When I removed the exhaust I learned a little secret about my bike. It looks like the origial owner used a grinder on the oil pan so the 4-1 connection cleared better. It also looks like there is a little JB weld on the pipe as well, maybe he used this to fix a hole he put in the pan or he used this to weld the pipes to the pan???. So I ordered a new pan/gasket from bikebandit and should have the parts in about a week. In the mean time I'm not sure what to do when they arrive. Here's what I think my choices are....

A) Grind the pan again, but less so that the pipes clear (not my first choice... it didn't work as a perment solution before and with the SS2R the pipes can hit the ground and be pushed into the pan... weaker pan makes me nervous )

B) Dent the pipes in to clear the pan, this is already stared and marked with the JB weld (I don't like denting my pipes even thought they are a little rough anyway, see my other ss2r post for pics of the big a$$ dents on the bottom two pipes, ha ha )

C) I read that if you start with the can first and work forward there shouldn't be any clearanc problems... is this true?

D) KatRiders suggestions??? :-k

On another point, the pipes are starting to rust a little and are multi colored, but it's just cosmetic, I know there is the possiblity of getting them coated (with what? Paint? ceramic? Anyone have ideas), but I was also wondering about wrapping them from the headers to the mid pipe . I've seen this done on the biker buildoff shows on Discovery, they used a black wrap on an old school chopper, I thought it might be cheaper and since you can't see the headers on the kat very well anyway it shouldn't look bad. Does anyone know about this stuff? What is it? Where do I get it? Will it work ok? As always thanks for your thoughts. KYKatowner
    93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

Well I know that with some pipes you have to dent the collector but I thought this was only Post 98 on pres..

The wrap you saw is a heat insulating wrap.
    Used for three reasons.

1. to prevent the fairings from melting
    2. to keep the riders legs from melting
    3. to keep the exhaust gas hot.
    (hot gases keep moving and clear the chamber better)

It's some miricle fiber no doubt...

Comment

You can use the newer style oil pan on a pre98 to make up for the closeness. Check with Special K!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Yeah , the 98+ oil pan is shallower . Someone PROBABLY put an exhaust meant for a 98+ on there , but didn't bother changing the pan . Make sure you get it taken care of soon , the rally's in a couple weeks .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know!!! I already ordered the pre 98 pan, so I guess I can make it work

Comment

I have the SS2R system on my 89 750 Kat and it was close to the oil pan underneath but never touched it. The header may be bent a little bit causing it to touch the oil pan. The channel on the right side of the oil pan is not that big but the headers should not be touching it. If you need up close pics oy my bike let me know and I will take them and send them to you. Grant I now I have newer year oil pan on my bike since I cracked mine the day before I left for the rally back in July.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Pictures would be great! I ordered the pan for my bike but it hasn't shipped yet, would you recommend getting the later model year style? What's necessary in switching over? How many additional parts will I need to order? What would you do? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well , everything I've read points to the 98+ oil pan fitting with NO modification or "extra parts" , bolts right up . I'd get a hold of Special K and grab one from him . He can probably set you up with a cheap used one . That's what I'D do .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

it could be that the previous owner installed the system and tightened all the joints before fastening the canister hanger. he might have pulled on the system to do it and it caused it to bind. when you re-install, set everything together, then tighten the hanger for the can first...then work your way forward towards the header.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hye Mojoe the SS2R system is held together by really strong springs. the only bolt is at the bracket and the ones that hold the spigots(i call them) into the block. Other than that they are springs. Could be that there are some springs missing up front and caused it to settle against the oil pan.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I did see one possible missing spring in the system, where the can slips on the the mid pipe, it looks like there should be one on top and one on the bottom, but there was only one on the top, other that that I believe all were present. As to the possiblity of the header being wrong for the year (made for later/current models) it's been on there for at least 9 years so that's not really possible.

I did get the old pan off and saw two pin holes in it, even though it's not fixed yet at least I have that relief of finding the problem.

I sent Special K a PM to see about aonther oil pan but haven't heard anything. It would have been nice to save some $$$, but the good news is that my new pan should be here Friday (riding by Sat... I hope!!!!!!)

When I put the system back together I'll try working from the back forward. Anyone know where I can get a replacement spring? I didn't even know there was one missing until all this happened so it may not matter.

I also borrowed a torch from a friend so if I need to deform the pipe a little again.

Any idea on how to clean the pipes up? There is a lot of black dark grey spots and a little rust on the header. I was thinking about painting them with a high temp paint, I'll stop by autozone tomorrow to see what they have available.

Comment

Working...
                      X