X

Exhaust Problem V&H SS2R

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Problem V&H SS2R

I have some damage to the header of my exhaust system right before the 4 into 1 juction (starting from the motor). The header has been bottomed out and dented any ideas on fixing it. I can't imagine this is good for airflow in the effected pipe. I was wondering if I could pull out the dent by welding to it, similiar to how they pull dents on cars, but I don't have equipment for that. Got any other ideas? I'm not to worried about how it looks (as you can see it's been around awhile and in it's location you can't see it without getting down to the same level. I thought about a replacement header, I looked at Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit but didn't see replacement headers available. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
    Attached Files
    93' 750, I just washed the bugs off, let's go for a ride!

it doesn't look horrible to me, I doubt you would notice too much of a difference from fixing it. Those dent pullers you talk about can be had for not too much cash, if i remember right around 50$, and i bet you could get them pretty straight with that.

Comment

If I had to guess I'd say it's cutting off about 1/3 of the airflow in that one pipe. I'm not sure if it comes through in the pictures, if it isn't really a problem I don't mind leaving it either, it makes it easier loading and unloading from a trailer and some of the driveways here are the type with the curb built in when I ride two up I know it's coming close (my wife usually waits until I'm in the street before she climbs on).

Comment

I have a dent in mine that I got through Waltari. I am going to fix it the same way I fixed a guy's header last year. I tried a dent puller, but it did not work all that good. Header material is thicker than the cheapass tin you have on cars today.
        Using a dent puller either calls for drilling and attaching a threaded end on the puller, or welding a bolt/screw and using the puller.
        The problem is that you kinda have to heat the header up with a torch before pulling it out or it will only pull on the area emmediately around the spot the puller is attached to. Heating it up will soften it up enough so that more area will move with the puller.
        Anyway, to make a long story short, it was a pita and it looked shitty. What I ended up doing was taking a die grinder and cutting out the part that was caved in (his was worse than yours....at least 1/2 flow cut-off), then I took a pc of exhaust pip the same size and cut a piece out of it to fit the section I removed (great fit btw) and welded it into place and took the grinder and smoothed it up. Then I slapped on some black header paint. It hardly showed. You would have to be looking for it to see it.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The dent in your header really doesn't look that bad. If you were set on repairing it, I would say do as Mojoe recommended and patch in a new section of pipe. Mine is dented to high hell, too. I'm just going to replace it, as I think mine is too bad to fix.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well, I guess I feel better about my dent, seems like it isn't as bad as you guys have seen. Since I don't have welding equipment (yet ) I think I'll just keep it the way it is. For future reference, if I were to replace it where can I get one?

Comment

Mine's like that from the curb at the end of my driveway . If I'm not careful enough , it'll nail it every time .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know, if my wife is on I hit it every time, if I'm alone I'm fine.

Comment

just grab a welder and patch weld it you are not going to notice a whole lot of difference if any from that small of a dent. the kats are slow anyways imho...lol...j/k
                  The lord is the only passenger I ride with

Comment

I wish I knew how to weld! These Discovery Channel shows like Monster Garage / American Chopper etc. are making me jealous!

Comment

its not to hard really to learn just find a friend that knows how to weld to show you the basics and from there it is nothing more than a matter of fine tuning your skill. i learned on a 110 hot box. my welds arent the best looking puddles but i get a pretty decent bead and i have never had a problem with one of my welds breaking. you can pick up a decent little hot box from harbor frieght tools for less than 200.00 go to harborfrieght.com
                      The lord is the only passenger I ride with

Comment

I also can't see any reason to worry about it. Unless you actually notice performance problems, I'd leave it alone. What might appear to be 1/3 of physical cutoff does not mean 1/3 cutoff of flow. Depending on volume and pressure, it may have no effect at all.
                        Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Working...
                        X