Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

What does Harley need to do to get YOU to buy one?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in '01, I went to a Buell ride event. At the time, my ride (still is) a '91
    katana 1100. I could care less about the gay as get all HD garb and crap, all I care is how a bike rides, handles, performs, so I went with an open mind. Actually, more than open as I thought the bike's simplicity was appealing and was considering buying one.
    Despite being lighter, it felt heavy.I think this might have been due to the steering angle, maybe they didn't want to freak people coming over from a wide glide. At idle, despite rubber mounting, shook like a paint mixer. At speed on the freeway, it felt smoother in 4th than 5th gear (weird). At a stop, the performance exhaust was aimed at my ankle and would roast it. I will say that the single giant front brake was impressive.
    There are bikes coming out from the japs that are impressive and HD is still making the same crap. A coworker recently spent $16k on a used HD (she wants to be part of the "lifestyle") when, instead, she and her hubby could have gotten two brand new leftover Suzuki 109 bikes that are actually cruisers that are fast (12 flat 1/4).

Comment

• the sound of a 4 into 1 , over 150 topend, last for a long time even if you do ride the crap out of it.DEPENDABILITY!!!!!!! shape and apperance, smoothness in riding. DEPENDABILITY!!!!!!!! a whole lot lower price. there isnt anything i like about them!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 150mphbike View Post
        the sound of a 4 into 1 , over 150 topend, last for a long time even if you do ride the crap out of it.DEPENDABILITY!!!!!!! shape and apperance, smoothness in riding. DEPENDABILITY!!!!!!!! a whole lot lower price. there isnt anything i like about them!!!
        Don't forget, something that is ready to go, out of the box. On my Kat 1100, the only real thing I added to it was 4-1 and jet kit.
        Harley riders always say their bikes are the best, F the rest and then proceed to replace every part on the bike!

Comment

• I've got both. Have owned a 92 Fatboy for the last two years. Always wanted a big bike, got one for a great deal. It's a super bike, terrific for cruising and buzzing around town. It's not made for 150mph - and who really needs to go that fast anyway? I enjoy it, once I get the 1100 back running and reassembled, it will probably be a toss up on which one to take out.

Frankly, the idea of paying today's prices for ANY bike - Harley or otherwise - is hard to understand.
          1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Comment

• Butters explains the true meaning of what it means to be a real biker... a HARLEY RIDER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FFB_u4AP3U&feature=related
            The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

• Money, nothing against harleys at all. Just dont have the money, and also I want to ride the katana while im still young
              Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

• Mostly just money. They ride nice enough I suppose. But when I can buy a Suzuki 109 for loads cheaper, it looks just as nice and rides a bit better... why?

So I enter all the contests to win one that I run into and don't bother looking otherwise.
                "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

• Stop making douchebag bikes for douchebag riders.

I cant believe they're still in business.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Stop making douchebag bikes for douchebag riders.

The only people I ever seen that smoke while they ride ( and use the world as an ash tray as they launch their burning cig butts to the wind) ride HD.
                    Always HD.
                    Also, I have never,ever,ever ever seen a HD rider where a full face helmet, 90% of the time, it is a non- protective "novelty" cap.Helps explain part of the high rate of fatalities sustained by riders of HD.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Stop making douchebag bikes for douchebag riders.

When the pirates start to croak en mass, they will have to adapt and make some serious motorcycles. Until then, each year it's going to be "bold new colors" and some new piece of chrome trim. Shove a Vrod engine in an XR1200 platform and you'll have my attention. They certainly have the knowledge and ability to make something at least interesting, even if they can't beat the Japanese and Italians at racing, they just refuse to do it. Even the Vrod wasn't met with open arms initially because it was water cooled.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

• HD can't engineer $hit, they are better at decorating their bikes. For engineering, they rely on Porsche. Back in the '80's, Porsche designed them a V4 motor, but HD was afraid that it would turn off their traditionalists, so they had Porsche redesign the shovel head, called it he evolution when all was done. They also designed the twin cam and the Vrod.
                        Funny thing about that the Vrod and such... back in '85, Suzuki came out with the V4 madura 1200 which had hydro valves, shaft (I had one and it was looow maintenance!), smooth as hell and could do the 1/4 mile in the low seconds- a very comfy butt rocket. Twenty years later, HD finaly comes out with its power cruiser, the Vrod and the thing still can't meet the performance of a 20+ year old bike. I thought it funny that despite having full access to all that HD had to offer, Buell went to Rotax for a motor for his last bike.

Comment

• stop charging $10000 over what they're worth and a longer warranty. 1 year tells me that HDs are still garbage. Also I don't want to grow a goatee and wear cheesy leathers.

Comment

Working...
                          X