X

Rustoleum Rust Reformer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustoleum Rust Reformer

Not on my Kat750 but hey: I am repainting my '79 gs1000 frame because it is scratched and rusty in some areas. I didn't remove the motor so my only option to address the rust is brush/scrape as much as possible then spot treatments and finally prime & paint. I decided to use Rustoleum Rust reformer figuring I could spray it on and "top coat" with Rustoleum black engine Enamel. I masked everything except the frame and since there were lots of rusty areas, I figured I would shoot the whole frame as best as I can hit it. I'm working in a heated shelter outside in the winter so I'm not sure how warm I can get the frame. Has anyone used the Rustoleum Rust Reformer? I understand I should only use the rust reformer on the rusty spots but then I'm wondering what prime to use over the rust reformer and the rest of the frame before topcoat.. Also, the rust reformer says let dry 24hrs at 70F and I won't be at 70F but is that to touch, handle, use, or topcoat with primer??
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

spoke with Rustoleum tech support today and deceided against their rust reformer because that is just for rusted metal (and I would be going over some clean sanded metal as well as existing paint). Their tech support said the rust reformer only sticks to rust.. I would have liked to use Master Series CT Silver prime or Por-15 to spot paint the rust but settled on the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer.. will see.
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Comment

Por 15 works great for sealing, but using the acid to remove rust first would likely be difficult...
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Por 15 makes multiple products. The tank sealer is just one of...

They also make paints that bond to the rust/steel, and prevent further rust.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X