X

Hand Guards remade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Guards remade

Last winter I purchased a set of hard foam atv hand guards from Cabela's for $6 whopping dollars with free shipping. I found that they were too soft to withstand the wind (on the clutch side ) and would press against my fingers and the clutch lever. I made some aluminum guards similar to off road bark busters but lighter and $13. This spring I installed standard 7/8" bars to sit more upright and had to remove the guards.
    I remade them to fit with the higher bars and finished them a bit more than before. I thought about plastic hand guards but they would hit my windscreen due to the higher bars. I do not want to unbolt the aluminum pieces so I painted them flat black this time. The hard foam guards at speed rest against the aluminum and stay off my fingers yet bend when they touch the windscreen at full handle bar lock. These are lifesavers when the temps start dropping and the foam guards Velcro on so can be stored in the saddle bags or tank bag and go on quickly if caught out when temps drop.
    Here are a couple pics of them drying after paint and of the universal clamps that hold them near the center of the handle bar. I will add pics when they are installed.
    Attached Files

Here are the hand guards in place. The aluminum pieces will stay in place. That is why I painted them black. The foam deflectors attach with Velcro straps and go on and off very easily.
    I used these last winter and they were great!
    I took the bike up to 100mph with the last version of this to see how they would do and had no issues.
    At this time, the total cost adding up both versions is $40 and a little time. I do not think they look bad with the foam deflectors off. Looks a bit goofy with the foam deflectors on but I like to keep riding when the temps drop and cant afford all the heated gear.
    Attached Files

Comment

Great job rigging those on. For what it's worth I think they look good. Purposeful. I have thought about getting some for mine

Comment

Thanks. When the temps drop they are life savers. It was amazing how much warmer your hands are without the air hitting them.

Comment

Is there enough clearance for the handlebar steering?
          Does the hand guards hit the fairing before steering lock?

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
            Is there enough clearance for the handlebar steering?
            Does the hand guards hit the fairing before steering lock?
            I get full lock with the aluminum guards on. I thought about putting the plastic air deflectors on but those would hit the windscreen and we know how easy it is to break the aftermarket screens. I found foam atv hand guards at Cabelas that strap on using velcro. They are stiff enough to withstand the wind but just bend over when they touch the windscreen. They were also only $6 and I had a code for free shipping. We just got our first snow up in Rocky Mtn National park so the foam pieces now will live in the tank bag. They go on real easy.

Comment

Working...
            X