X

Premium or Regular Gas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium or Regular Gas?

After searching through the forums, it seems that the general consensus is that the Kat1100 does fine on regular gas, but so far, just out of habit, I have been filling it with the the more expensive stuff.

Am I just wasting my money? I'm curious if anyone has ever dyno tested for any difference in performance, or noticed any difference in mileage.

-C

Yes. You are raising the chance for detonation and pinging. The motor doesn't need high compression gas.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Yes. You are raising the chance for detonation and pinging. The motor doesn't need high compression gas.
      I was always under the impression that higher octane gas REDUCED chances for detonation and pinging, and that is why higher compression engines require premium. Am I completely wrong about this?

-C

Comment

The Katana isn't a high compression engine.

Comment

Higher octane fuel does reduce the chance of pre-ignition. The Kat isn't a particularly high compression engine but it isn't low compression either. Plenty of vehicles with lower compression ratios than the Kat specify premium fuel. There are many more factors other than compression which influence fuel selection - eg. AF ratio, temperature, ignition timing, humidity, altitude, load, operating RPM range ... So, a Kat with a 5* ignition advance ridden with a pillion on a 100*F day may well prefer a higher octane fuel. If that higher octane fuel is also better refined, more dense, contains no ethanol and includes additional detergents etc., it may offer extra benefits as well, like keeping the tank and carbs cleaner for longer.
          Last edited by TRPUT; 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X