No announcement yet.
X

Bandit 1200 swap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Bandit 1200 can pretty easily be found under $2.5k-$3k, Ii've purchased 2 of them in the past, sold them for profits.

IMO, iif budget for conversion runs more than $1500, I'd just look for a used Bandit 1200.

OEM oil cooler on the B12 or Kat 750 are well capable to handle the engine's heat capacity under normal riding conditions.
    Unless you're running higher compression pistons, turbo or other performance mods, I don't see a need to be spendy for extra oil-cooling capacity.
    Last edited by "K"; 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Depending on how much space you have available you can use a transmission cooler from a car. They are 5 bucks at about any junkyard and more than capable of cooling what you want.

Comment

I think I recall from discussions, that the 750 cooler was probably the largest oil cooler.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
          Used Bandit 1200 can pretty easily be found under $2.5k-$3k, Ii've purchased 2 of them in the past, sold them for profits.

IMO, iif budget for conversion runs more than $1500, I'd just look for a used Bandit 1200.

OEM oil cooler on the B12 or Kat 750 are well capable to handle the engine's heat capacity under normal riding conditions.
          Unless you're running higher compression pistons, turbo or other performance mods, I don't see a need to be spendy for extra oil-cooling capacity.
          Lol of course I'm running a turbo!

I got a 750 cooler on the way. I just hope it's enough!

What about sprocket covers? This motor does not have one currently. I want to keep it cable operated but do not know if the motor is Hyd clutch. It's a 2002 B12 motor and it needs a starter. I'm thinking of using the bandit alternator as the gear patterns are different just hope it works with the Kat electrical system. I kno u should keep the alternator with the bike.

So main thing is wat sprocket covers fit the B12 and will let me used my cable operated clutch? Post 750 or pre?
          Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
          fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
          55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
          R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
          Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

For serious there's lots of threads on this swap.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
            From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
            this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve's. I read first that a post 750 sprocket cover could be used and now I just read in that thread that the pre 600 cover could be used.

I just want to make it clear that I can use a pre or post 600/750 cover on the B12? And tjat it can be converted to cable with no mods? Sorry to be such a pain but I need confirmation vs getting stuck with parts I didn't need to buy.

Comment

B12 motor arrived yesterday with header. Which looks like a SS header and man is it heavy.

Does anyone have pics of how u convert the bandit to a cable clutch? Reason is I don't see the clutch pushrod hole or the gear linkage. But then again the motor is still in the crate.

Some quick nighttime pics
                Attached Files

Comment

The headers are a SS sleeve around essentially the same headers as the kat. Look nice thou
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

That's what I mean. Heavy as hell but they look great. But only mounting flanges to the head on center 2 primaries, so how so you bolt down the outer 2 primaries?

Also below the exhaust looks like ports have been blocked off with narrow oval flanges like the emissions stuff below the exhaust ports.

Now the left side has the post for the foot shifter but I couldn't see the other post that connects the shift linkage too. How is this even possible?

Comment

nvm, i found the clutch pushrod hole and Im going to use a 750 sprocket cover and keep the cable clutch. Also got the post 750 cooler on its way, no lines as one broke apparently and a 750 breather.

Still confused about the headers and how the mounting flanges are only on the center 2 primaries. I cant seem to think how you bolt down the outer 2 primaries since there are no flanges? Also Should I just keep my V&H SS headers from the 600 and throw them on the bandit 1200? I gotta meaure the size but I would grind down the welds on the bandit headers and see how much mods to the turbo exhaust to get it to fit bc damn those stainless bandit headers are sexy! but heavy!

Also anyone got the part numbers for the carb to intake boots with orings for a pre 600 kat? I think I want to get 4 new ones to throw on the B12 for my 600 carbs.

If I didnt want to ride every nice day I could prob swap the B12 in like a weekend. Except I dont have the dyna 2000 igniton yet.

Comment

I will try to remember to take a header pic tonight for you
                        I have a K6 Bandit
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

You MAY have to "adjust" the length of the clutch pushrod with a grinder . I did with me 1127 .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The collars for mounting the exhaust should have been on the headers, but I do know that on some years of bikes suzuki used retaining collars instead of the ones permanently installed on the header.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Think u guys are right about the exhaust. Looks like the ends of the primary tubes are different and prob need those exhaust collars mentioned above. See pic

One thing I noticed are the ports below exhaust on the block. They look like stainless to block the emissions ports?

Also the covers don't say 1200cc like the suzuki 600 says 599cc on the side. What a bummer.

EDIT, Here are the pics.

So now I need to figure out how I can mount the bandit header without the special flanges or just get them.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

well a couple of questions. I started cleaning the motor the other day and man this thing had some crud around the sprocket cover. I almost done believe this thing has 5,000 miles on it (its wat the PO was told by who sold it to him). But inside the intake (valves and valve guides) look frigin brand new! like no oil or carbon or anything really. The whole bottom side of the engine was pretty dirty and started cleaning.

Thats when I noticed some bolts missing or not fully tightened. On the Ignition pickup cover there is a bolt missing. So i decided to pull the cover to see if something was done or any damage. I was shocked to find a billet HP timing advancer! everything looked great. so i put it back on for the moment. This is useless to me as I will most likely be using the dyna 2000 ignition for this. I still need to get a bolt for this as one is missing.

But then I knoticed that the cover with the oil fill plug had a bolt that was loose a few threads before being fully seated. I didn't pull the cover but thats the crank case side? any reason why that would need to come off? looks like some black RTV was used with a gasket as I can see some that has squeezed out, not sure if thats how suzuki did it tho.

Im thinking i want to pull the cover and take a look inside. I also think I want to pull the clutch cover on the opposite side and see what condition thats in. As well as the valve cover to check the rocker clearances. I just dont want to be taking stuff apart and need all new gaskets if everything is fine.

Last question, are the katana 600 and bandit 1200 alternator gears the same? I cant seem to find the gears for sale alone but I was told that all this stuff would swap over. I know the alternator will physically bolt up but will the gear mesh be correct? Bandit alternators are very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X