X

Bandit 1200 swap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit 1200 swap?

I know it can be done, just wondering what has to be changed for it to work on my 600? Besides the carbs, CDI and such? Will my katana carbs bolt up?

Also what about exhaust? Any frame mods? Like the 1100?

Now that I'm reading about the b12 motor it only makes 98hp and spins to 8500? Wat the hell?! That's as much power as a 750 and the 1100 Kat makes more power.
    Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

but the b12 has a ton of torque
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Comment

There is a saying " you buy HP, you drive torque"
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

yep its definately all about the torque, the more you have, the faster you can get off the line. Also, its about what rpm that torque kicks in, i believe it starts making loads of torque low in the rpm range.

Comment

Seems like alot of hassle to get it in there and working right , me i would just buy a bandit or a cheap fast bike [gsxr] .Unless you have a hillside of this >

Comment

I know all about tq. My 521 big block has a ton of it and I get it. But to peak at 8500 vs 12k is a huge difference in rpm. Just wondering if the low end is a good trade off for the top end highway stuff. Remember guys this will be turbo
            Charged. So alittle more rpm would be a good thing I guess. I can get a B12 for 750 roughly or a 750 Kat motor for like 250. Kat motor needs some parts but has about the same HP. 750 has 13k miles and the b12 has like 5k.

What would u guys do?

Is the b12 that hard to fit?

Comment

i think you will enjoy the b12 far more.......its pretty easy to drop one in. i have done it 2 times so far, only took about 4 hours . im sure there are plenty of build threads on here but if you really need help then i can go out and take pics of my old frame so you will see exactly what has to be done. pretty simple swap. WELL WORTH IT!!

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
              Seems like alot of hassle to get it in there and working right , me i would just buy a bandit or a cheap fast bike [gsxr] .Unless you have a hillside of this >
              its really not as bad as your making it sound
              Last edited by B12BAMADUDE; 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              92 gsxf 750:1216 motor upgrade,5.5 inch wheel swap, plus 10 swingarm, gsxr 1000 farings and cbr tailight,lol

Comment

I was gonna do the swap but I didn't want to take the chance insurance finding out and cancelling my policy.
                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                  I was gonna do the swap but I didn't want to take the chance insurance finding out and cancelling my policy.
                  How would they know? My insurance didn't even ask for pics lol

Wat about exhaust and CDI? Will my aftermarket 600 headers fit the B12? Will my starter and alternator swap over?
                  Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you're going to do alot of highway riding, then I can tell you one thing I didn't like about my b12- I was always hunting for 6th gear. It's only a 5 speed
                    previous rides
                    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                    next ride - another kat

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                      How would they know? My insurance didn't even ask for pics lol

Wat about exhaust and CDI? Will my aftermarket 600 headers fit the B12? Will my starter and alternator swap over?
                      I wasn't worried about riding the bike it was in the event of a serious wreck. I might be dead but I didn't want my estate getting sued and screwing over my wife and kids. Ya got to know the insurance company would cancel insurance for non disclosure.
                      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Oh yea I gotcha.

Well guys the 750 is looking alittle easier to swap in. But Im still not sold on the B12 or 750 motor yet. I dont like that I will have to worry about the CDI for the bandit as it won't plug into the kat harness or that it peaks at 8500. I get the low end tq but it could possibly cost double or triple that of a 750 swap.

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
                          If you're going to do alot of highway riding, then I can tell you one thing I didn't like about my b12- I was always hunting for 6th gear. It's only a 5 speed
                          i would have to agree
                          92 gsxf 750:1216 motor upgrade,5.5 inch wheel swap, plus 10 swingarm, gsxr 1000 farings and cbr tailight,lol

Comment

Yea but doesn't the B12 cruise at a lower rpm like 5k at like 90mph? I do about 5500-6k at 70mph with 15/45 sprockets on my 600

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                              Yea but doesn't the B12 cruise at a lower rpm like 5k at like 90mph? I do about 5500-6k at 70mph with 15/45 sprockets on my 600
                              i dont remember, all i remember is that on a few long trips i was wishing i had 6th.

i suppose if it's an issue you could always gear it taller, but then yuo defeat the prpose of having the low end torque

maybe if you know you're going to be highway cruising, you could slap a smaller rear sprocket on there, and swap it back for city riding.
                              previous rides
                              next ride - another kat

Comment

Working...
                              X