X

EU passes ABS law

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU passes ABS law

ABS on motorcycles with engines bigger than 125cc will be compulsory from 2016 in the EU. I am guessing that the factorys will mostly just produce ABS bikes even outside the EU.

2015 BMW S1000R

This might bring out some debate, but in my mind it will improve motorcycle safety and reduce the number of accidents, so it has my full support.
    This will then also be compulsory in Norway as we are in the EØS.

The downside of extra cost is something we will have to live with, if we can save a few lives, it will be worth it.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
      ABS on motorcycles with engines bigger than 125cc will be compulsory from 2016 in the EU. I am guessing that the factorys will mostly just produce ABS bikes even outside the EU.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...016/21856.html

Only for new bikes and (I think) it's not yet approved so there is a (slim) chance that it will not go through.
      I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brocher View Post
        Only for new bikes and (I think) it's not yet approved so there is a (slim) chance that it will not go through.
        You are right of course. No way you could make it mandatory for all existing bikes.
        ABS retrofit on a Katana??
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

It's more important what the Brits do in the mean time

Comment

I would promptly tell the EU to fuck off
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              I would promptly tell the EU to fuck off
              classy

whats interesting here is that this probably will force all bikes in the world to be ABS because of the high volume of sales to the EU. its easier for the manufacturers to just go with it instead of some produced for some regions without ABS.

maybe the EU controls you more than you think scotty
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                classy

whats interesting here is that this probably will force all bikes in the world to be ABS because of the high volume of sales to the EU. its easier for the manufacturers to just go with it instead of some produced for some regions without ABS.

maybe the EU controls you more than you think scotty
                Oh im sure if it passes they will still produce non abs bikes for the race reps.

However, we'll just rip that crap off anyway
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I just think it's interesting with the engine size limit. I kind of understand, but really, in an emergency stop situation, what does the size of the engine have to do with safety in stopping?

Comment

lol

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                    I just think it's interesting with the engine size limit. I kind of understand, but really, in an emergency stop situation, what does the size of the engine have to do with safety in stopping?
                    according to the article , the price increase percentagewise would be too much to tolerate for the smaller bikes.
                    Last edited by mammut89; 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Unless I win a lottery, I doubt I'll be buying a new bike in 2016. Hell, I might be in the market for a lightly-used 05 by then.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

March issue of SSB has an article on head to head abs vs non abs
                        Ride like it's your last ride
                        sigpic

Comment

I think ABS is expensive enough that they won't offer it on all models in the US quite yet.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            I think ABS is expensive enough that they won't offer it on all models in the US quite yet.
                            agreed!
                            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

IMHO, if some new riders had ABS then they might be a little more complacent which could lead to more accidents that might not have happened - scaring the crap outamyself early on in my riding career when I 'nearly' had an accident, certainly focused my attention for the future and might be why I have been in so few accidents! Alternatively, there must be numerous cases where ABS on bikes has reduced accidents - I'm not totally convinced eitherway yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X