POD filter question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
    That is a lovely bike LnL
    It's famous in the old Suzuki world....... that's the original 816cc engine (long stroke bottom end, short stroke top end) from the "Powers of the Poconos" article back in the early 90's. I visited the guys shop while I was out in Philadelphia, and snapped that picture of it. He has since left the motorcycle business, and I don't know what ever happened to the bike. He said he would never sell it, though.... 20 years later people were still stopping by the shop to talk to him about the bike.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbermounted View Post
      I love this guys avatar picture and since you have let all of us know how you feel.....

hey guys I very rarely ask questoins although I do have one now....

if it is pointless, fruitless, really just a stupid exercise with absaloutly no benifit what so ever, meaning putting pods on a bike....then why dont I see air filter boxes on race bikes, drag bikes etc...hmmm

has anyone ever to lold them that what they have done is hopeles, fruitless etc....

(sorry actualy thats 2 questions, am I bad)
      Because they run flat slide race carbs, not CV carbs. Duh.

That was too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        Because they run flat slide race carbs, not CV carbs. Duh.

That was too easy.
        Its pointless because you have a Katana...stop eating cheeseburgers and you will see 3x the power gain as putting on pod filters that run PERFECTLY.

Valentino Rossi runs pods right? Oh wait...
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Its pointless because you have a Katana...stop eating cheeseburgers and you will see 3x the power gain as putting on pod filters that run PERFECTLY.

Valentino Rossi runs pods right? Oh wait...
          This does not answer his question about why racers use pod filters.

For the record, I'm 6' and about 160 lbs. If anything, I need MORE cheezburgers.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            This does not answer his question about why racers use pod filters.

For the record, I'm 6' and about 160 lbs. If anything, I need MORE cheezburgers.
            Didnt mean you directly, just saying that a 1% gain in peak power on a 70hp 500lb bike isn't worth 5 dollars, let alone the cost of parts and the headache of maintaining a proper air to fuel ratio across the entire range of throttle position vs rpm.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              Didnt mean you directly, just saying that a 1% gain in peak power on a 70hp 500lb bike isn't worth 5 dollars, let alone the cost of parts and the headache of maintaining a proper air to fuel ratio across the entire range of throttle position vs rpm.
              And I was just ****ing with you, lol.

I actually agree in not using pod filters. Terrible idea on CV carbs.

Comment

Actually, according to what Sin told me, road race bike are injected now. But I don't know. When they were carbureted and ran pods, they sure as hell didn't run the POS CV carbs that your bike comes stock with.

Comment

I have a general question that may clear some things up , In my understanding CV carbs function on a static pressure through the carbs air intake. IE: you need a slight drag on air entering the carbs in order to pull proper flow of fuel through the jets, being that there is no fuel pump to force fuel through the jets. I maybe wrong. With that being said pods, K&n what ever high flow filter you use, Will not allow this static pull through the carbs, therefore not pulling the proper fuel from the jets. correct???
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    I have a general question that may clear some things up , In my understanding CV carbs function on a static pressure through the carbs air intake. IE: you need a slight drag on air entering the carbs in order to pull proper flow of fuel through the jets, being that there is no fuel pump to force fuel through the jets. I maybe wrong. With that being said pods, K&n what ever high flow filter you use, Will not allow this static pull through the carbs, therefore not pulling the proper fuel from the jets. correct???
                    CV carbs are black magic. Many people believe they understand them, but few really do.

Anyway, most, if not all, carburetors operate by way of the Venturi effect, not air pressure for the main circuit, and on engine vacuum for the pilot circuit. The transition between the two is where it gets a little gray and funky. The only difference with CV's is that the slide operates on the Venturi effect as well, opening further as the air speed increases through the carburetor.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

True but, most carbs have a pump. I,m thinking that you actually need a varying vaccum on the engine side of the carbs in order to have some draw to pull the slides up and pull fuel from the jets.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Bro, you need a basic understanding of how carbs work. Fuel pumps do NOT push fuel through the jets, it is sucked up by vacuum. No carb I know of has fuel pushed through the jets by a fuel pump. They do not work like fuel injectors. Please, please go read how carbs work.

Traditional carbs have the throttle cable attached to a slide. You twist the throttle, it pulls the slide up allowing in more air through the venturi, which in turn sucks more fuel out of the jets.

CV carbs are a little different. From my understanding, the pressure difference between the atmosphere and the amount the butterflies are open moves the slides. Essentially, the vacuum is ported to the top of the diaphragm from the butterfly, and the atmosphere actually pushes the slide up due to the vacuum at the top of the diaphragm from the butterfly's opening. I think I have that right.
                        Last edited by 05RedKat600; 08-31-2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I realize that. It was used as refrence to get a better understanding on CV carbs. So that others may understand why HF filters don't work on kats.
                          The only fuel system that actually use the pump for feed is fuel injection.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Holy crap, this thread is still going?

Originally posted by arsenic
                            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

You just stated what i asked. why the rash...
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

True but, most carbs have a pump. I,m thinking that you actually need a varying vaccum on the engine side of the carbs in order to have some draw to pull the slides up and pull fuel from the jets.
                                No, you don't. The shape of the carburetor creates vacuum inside of it when air starts to move through it at speed (with the butterflies open). With the butterflies closed, the engine creates MASSIVE vacuum behind the butterflies.

Like I said, it's the in-between area where things get fuzzy, and also where the tuning problems come in. With the throttle closed, you've got tons of engine vacuum, all you need to do is adjust the a/f screw correctly. With the throttle wide open, you've got venturi-induced vacuum, all you need to do is select the right main jet. Everywhere in between, you are juggling pilot jets (for what's left of the engine vacuum), needle position (for what has begun of the venturi vacuum), slide movement, air jets, etc etc. That's why it can be so difficult. On a mechanical slide carb, there are much fewer variables.

Comment

Working...
                                X